Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by VaHillbilly
Yeah I dont "need" a 395HP V8 in My F150 but I like it, just like My .300's 👍 and I could care less what anybody else shoots (even the phag's that shoot creedmoor's 😁) .....Good hunting...Hb

grin grin

Pretty Similar here.

What difference does it matter to anyone what Rifle or cartridge someone else likes and uses??
Self assurance ? Insecurity ?

IF it’s legal I don’t care if someone hunts .17 or .204 OR 378 RUM.

For myself, it’s not a matter of Power (fpe) or powder charge. I hunt a variety of
terrain/topography. I can be in a thicket OR an open pasture on any given day.
MY requirement is FLAT trajectory and that’s hard to get with SLOW bullets.

I’m 69 yo, and in the last few years I have come to the opinion that a 7 Mag (Rem or Wby)
is one of the BEST all around cartridges out there. Close OR Far the 7 is FLAT and dependable. I’ve killed WT at 12’ (feet) and out to ~400 yds with the 7s.

The 270 / 280 are not far behind but NOT the equal of a 7.

Over my WT hunting career I’ve killed WT with 243, 6 mm, 6.5x55, 270, 7 RM,
30-30, 308, 06, 300 WM, 8 mm RM, 358 W, 35 Whelen and

44 RM, & 54 cal Mzldr. I’m familiar with trajectories of all of em.

It doesn’t take a cannon to kill WT but all rounds are NOT flat shooting.

Hunt and shoot what you like and don’t worry about what ANYONE else thinks.

Jerry

Oops - forgot the 284 W.

Last edited by jwall; 08/23/19.

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
GB1

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by lastround
I have been deer hunting (whitetails) for what will be 55 years this year, Lord willing. I have never owned a rifle (except for a lever action 44 magnum) with the word “Magnum” in it’s chambering. I have Elk hunted just once and successfully used a .308 Winchester. I have owned rifles chambered from the 223 Remington up to and including the 30-06 Springfield. I currently have a 6.5 Creedmoor and a 7mm-08 Remington and feel like I am well chambered for anything I have hunted and will hunt in the future. No Grizzleys in my future. My battery is complete. Call me a wuss if you want, but I’ve always liked shooting rifles that hurt worse on the front end than they do on the back end. Anybody else think the same way I think?
.....................................Nope!! +2.......Someone else said nope so I concur.

I like my 4. Nobody else shoots 'em. My money bought them. And I can more than handle the recoil. I don't get hurt on the back end from either. However on the receiving end??? You can figure that one out.....

And besides. All magnum owners who reload, can always use the faster burning powders to reduce the velocities if the need for the higher velocities isn't needed. THAT is seldom discussed anytime this subject presents itself.

OH! Ya gots a magnum? WHY,,,what in hell ya need a magnum for? All ya need is a 270 or "06............LOL>>>LOL>>>LOL........

And I'm thinkin..... Get yer ass back to your bench and don't worry about what I shoot!!!....Continuing my thoughts....When your $$$$ buys me my rifles, then I will heed your advice for further consideration........LOL>>>LOL

28 Nosler,,,,300WSM,,,,338-378 Wby,,,,375 Ruger

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
I like my .338WM. Last shot about 10 years ago. Just because I've been shooting others.... the recoil doesn't bother me any. Nor the weight, for what I use it for.

The .260 ( rebarreled from .244) Rem 725 just took two caribou - probably use it for moose too.

Single shots work, but I really gotta replace that broken extractor....... the replacement has been sitting on the gun cabinet shelf for a year now... smile

Last edited by las; 08/22/19.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Originally Posted by Sako
Keep in mind that bullet technology has changed a lot and has helped a lot for smaller calibers... However, if you think a 30-06 is a big gun.... HA... you have no clue what a big gun is... I have no idea why guys are shy about recoil... never once had an issue with it and never once felt it when I shot a deer either

Don't know about the rest of you fellas,but I'm impressed.

"Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Otter6
Keep in mind that bullet technology has changed a lot and has helped a lot for smaller calibers... However, if you think a 30-06 is a big gun.... HA... you have no clue what a big gun is... I have no idea why guys are shy about recoil... never once had an issue with it and never once felt it when I shot a deer either

Don't know about the rest of you fellas,but I'm impressed.

Sako isn't the only one.

Originally Posted by las
I like my .338WM. Last shot about 10 years ago. Just because I've been shooting others.... the recoil doesn't bother me any. Nor the weight, for what I use it for.

I don't notice recoil WHEN hunting, the concentration and excitement are dominating.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
IC B2

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I have never been recoil shy. I have always shot 7 mags as my go-to rifles. I now own an'06 that kicks harder than either of my magnums. I have pretty much benched all of them in lieu of my Creed and .260s. The lighter recoil is much more fun at the range and since I primarily hunt deer and antelope, I don't need the heavy bullets all that badly, now.

As I get older, I guess in some ways I get a bit smarter. I used to think that it was all about velocity etc., but now, with all of the good bullets and powders, it just is not necessary to shoot heavy kickers for most hunting.

You did not "seen" anything, you "saw" it.
A "creek" has water in it, a "crick" is what you get in your neck.
Liberals with guns are nothing but hypocrites.
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Originally Posted by sbhooper
I have never been recoil shy. I have always shot 7 mags as my go-to rifles. I now own an'06 that kicks harder than either of my magnums. I have pretty much benched all of them in lieu of my Creed and .260s. The lighter recoil is much more fun at the range and since I primarily hunt deer and antelope, I don't need the heavy bullets all that badly, now.

As I get older, I guess in some ways I get a bit smarter. I used to think that it was all about velocity etc., but now, with all of the good bullets and powders, it just is not necessary to shoot heavy kickers for most hunting.

For years I ran around with a m77 tanger in 338 Win mag for PA whitetail. Killed the chit out of them too. As did the 300 Ultra and Win mag. I too am a 7 Rem mag fan. My favorite all arounder. Nuttin wrong with belts or big cases. Billions of dollars have been made pushing heavy for caliber bullets to new and exciting levels. Doesn't mean I can't appreciate a good 270 Win or creedmoor. Life is short. Shoot often.

"Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by elkhunternm
Nope. smile

agreed see here http://gsgroup.co.za/fotis.html

https://thehandloadinglog.wordpress.com
μολὼν λαβέ

"Weatherby was too long so I nicknamed it "Bee""
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I sold all my magnums years ago. Now my big gun is a 308.

“Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils.” - General
John Stark.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by ERK
I had a 22 mag but it kicked to hard so I got rid of it for a standard 22. Ed k

Should have just tried a Limbsaver recoil pad, would have made it feel like a Red Ryder.

grin

Ed

A person who asks a question is a fool for 5 minutes the person who never asks is a fool forever.

The worst slaves are those that put the chains on themselves.
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker

I have a friend who, for whatever reason, brought me his deer hunting rifle every year just before season and asked me to check zero for him. A tang safety Ruger 338 WM. I complied with his request for several years up until about 15 yrs. ago. I told him I was done with that hard kicking SOB. I have shot 7mm RM’s, 300 Wm’s, 375 H&H, even one 458 Magnum. I didn’t say I’d never shot the bigger calibers, just that I hadn’t owned any. My decision from shooting other people’s guns was that I didn’t need to tolerate the amount of recoil they produced.

Some people play golf, I reload and shoot! And mostly from a bench at varying distance at both paper and steel. I also hunt, but I spend much, much more time at the range than I do in the hunting fields. I want my rifles to be both capable for the hunting I do and light enough on the recoil that I can go to the range and enjoy myself while shooting forty to fifty rounds in a session. I don’t seek other people’s approval. I just wondered if others felt the same way or not. Thanks for the replies.

If we live long enough, we all have regrets. But the ones that nag at us the most are the ones in which we know we had a choice.

Doug
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
I like to handload and shoot too. Most of the time I don't load my 308's full throttle.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
i am lucky my body handles recoil ok the only gun a dislike to shoot with recoil is my Savage 220 bolt action 20 gauge slug gun that sometimes is a little nasty with recoil. my Ruger #1 458 Lott seems to have less recoil that that Savage 220 20 gauge slug gun.

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
E
ERK Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
As far as being under gunned I did experience this in Alaska. I had taken my 300 mag instead of my 30-06 because of the 300 FPS second difference with 180 trainers. I was dropped off and was walking out after dark past two moose kills that had been fed on by grizzlies. It hit me how stupid this was and was wishing for something like a 458 or such. N ever did that again. I felt very undergunned at that point. Ed k

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
I have 243’s up to 338 Win mags, recoil doesn’t bother me. After seeing grandkids slay deer and pigs with 243’s, yes I’m over gunned for deer and piggies. A 223 with a 62 grain Barnes or Bear Claw will kill a 200 lb pig with ease. I would like to have a Swift or 22-250 with a 1 in 8 twist barrel.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by hanco
I have 243’s up to 338 Win mags, recoil doesn’t bother me. After seeing grandkids slay deer and pigs with 243’s, yes I’m over gunned for deer and piggies. A 223 with a 62 grain Barnes or Bear Claw will kill a 200 lb pig with ease. I would like to have a Swift or 22-250 with a 1 in 8 twist barrel.

Try one of these:

http://www.mcwhorterrifles.com/22-creedmoor-release/

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by mathman
I like to handload and shoot too. Most of the time I don't load my 308's full throttle.

I like the 308 too. If I was gonna buy another rifle in another chambering, that’s what I would get. However, my 7mm-08 is not too far behind the 308, just as the 6.5 CM is not too far behind the 7mm-08. Oh well. I usually don’t load balls -to-the-wall either, as my goal is the best accuracy I can find with decent velocity. There are a few bullets that I have wanted to shoot however that seemed to be at their best when pushed pretty hard.

If we live long enough, we all have regrets. But the ones that nag at us the most are the ones in which we know we had a choice.

Doug
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
If I rebarrel my main hunting 308 it will most likely become a 6.5 Creedmoor.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Back in my youth I borrowed a .30-30, .30-06 and .300 WM from a gun guy buddy of my dads and shot deer with all of them. Actually that first buck with the .30-30 tipped over faster than with the other two. Then like an earlier poster, I had to have a .30-06 and then a one size does everything 7mm RM. I shot a bunch of deer and a few elk with that big 7, but then one cold opening day the recoil of that thing shooting an 8 pointer compressed my down parka such that my forehead was what stopped lots of that recoil. It took that jolt between the eyes to knock some sense into me to build up a 7mm-08 with a .300 Savage back up rifle for my deer hunting. I'd probably still use that RM for an elk or a moose, but it is sure not necessary for a WI. whitetail. In reality a deer shows up fast here and from anywhere and less gun with less recoil is an asset when you might need to shoot in a twisted around position. Then too we all talk about super long range accuracy, but the reality is that most guys will shoot MORE accurately with less recoil than they would with a big howling magnum.

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

I can help with the clue dep't.
[Linked Image]

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

60 members (33sixSS, 907brass, 300_savage, BALLISTIK, BallisticBRYAN, 6mmCreedmoor, 6 invisible), 1,491 guests, and 939 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,758
Posts18,476,409
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.