Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
After getting one of those high tech ICD pacemakers installed, my Doctor, himself a hunter and shooter, made me swear off heavy recoil rifles. Still killing animals at will though, with “lesser” cartridges. 😜

Sam......

HR IC

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by MM879
A lot of responses sound like excuses for poor marksmanship. They need to go back to the basics of shooting. Good form will cure a flinch.

Wow, just wow... just when you thought you'd read it all.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
ya heavy recoil can be nasty but in some situations it just might be needed ? for whitetail bucks and muledeer bucks a like a rifle that shoots fast ,flat and hits them hard ,i liked to knock these bucks down and hard,bucks are many times alot tougher than the small deer and a flat shooting rifle is a real plus too.so these 3 cartridges and maybe some others is what i would use and do use too . 257 W.Mag,270 W.Mag ,264 Win.Mag. these 3 have less recoil but still shoot very flat and hit bucks dang hard too, and i am sure there are some others too ? and i am sure someone is going to mention more the Koolaid cartridges.

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I own and still hunt with a few hard kickers, however the majority of my shooting is with 223, 22-250, 243's etc.... I do run a few rounds through the bigger guns before the season to check zero.

I don't find the hard kickers enjoyable at the bench anymore.

Originally Posted by Judman
PS, if you think Trump is “good” you’re way stupider than I thought! Haha

Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Originally Posted by pete53
ya heavy recoil can be nasty but in some situations it just might be needed ? for whitetail bucks and muledeer bucks a like a rifle that shoots fast ,flat and hits them hard ,i liked to knock these bucks down and hard,bucks are many times alot tougher than the small deer and a flat shooting rifle is a real plus too.so these 3 cartridges and maybe some others is what i would use and do use too . 257 W.Mag,270 W.Mag ,264 Win.Mag. these 3 have less recoil but still shoot very flat and hit bucks dang hard too, and i am sure there are some others too ? and i am sure someone is going to mention more the Koolaid cartridges.

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by battue
Doug,

Try a .22-250 and a TTSX on Deer and you may sell the 7mm-08. smile

Good morning Harry,
Since I originally posted this thread, I’ve had another moment of weakness. The LGS got a trade-in that I couldn’t resist, but it wasn’t a 22-250. It’s an early boat paddle stocked Ruger M-77 MkII stainless in...........308 Winchester. Recoil is not too bad, but this is as far up the caliber ladder as I’m going. And as Mathman stated earlier in this thread, I probably won’t load it to the gills either. Oh, and I do have a 223 for when I get really old!

If we live long enough, we all have regrets. But the ones that nag at us the most are the ones in which we know we had a choice.

Doug
P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
A lot of responses sound like excuses for poor marksmanship. They need to go back to the basics of shooting. Good form will cure a flinch.

I've read this entire thread and didn't see any that spoke to the drivel you posed. Maybe you could quoe some of these poor marksmen.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by lastround
Doug,

Good morning Harry,
Since I originally posted this thread, I’ve had another moment of weakness. The LGS got a trade-in that I couldn’t resist, but it wasn’t a 22-250. It’s an early boat paddle stocked Ruger M-77 MkII stainless in...........308 Winchester. Recoil is not too bad, but this is as far up the caliber ladder as I’m going. And as Mathman stated earlier in this thread, I probably won’t load it to the gills either. Oh, and I do have a 223 for when I get really old!

After all these years, the guy who runs that LGS probably knows your weaknesses and what you can't resist!!!! grin

laissez les bons temps rouler
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B

Good form will cure a lot of things - but never a flinch.

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Doug,

Good morning Harry,

After all these years, the guy who runs that LGS probably knows your weaknesses and what you can't resist!!!! grin

You may have something there!

If we live long enough, we all have regrets. But the ones that nag at us the most are the ones in which we know we had a choice.

Doug
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If you have a .30-06 in North America you don’t need anything else.

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing 1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by elkhunternm
Nope. smile

Late to the party, but ditto. 😏

Wollen nicht krank dein feind. Planen es.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Yoder409
Originally Posted by elkhunternm
Nope. smile

Late to the party, but ditto. 😏

+2

Quigley

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
708 would do about all you need...

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
My 350 Rem Mag 660 kicks more than my CZ458 Lott. I'm figuring to go up in Big Bores because you have a better blood trail, can eat up to the bullet hole and it can never be big enough if you got a mean azz grizzly.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by kaboku68
My 350 Rem Mag 660 kicks more than my CZ458 Lott. I'm figuring to go up in Big Bores because you have a better blood trail, can eat up to the bullet hole and it can never be big enough if you got a mean azz grizzly.

👍 memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by moosemike
Originally Posted by SKane
Originally Posted by Sako
Keep in mind that bullet technology has changed a lot and has helped a lot for smaller calibers... However, if you think a 30-06 is a big gun.... HA... you have no clue what a big gun is... I have no idea why guys are shy about recoil... never once had an issue with it and never once felt it when I shot a deer either

The testosterone is strong in this one.

I need to let him shoot the 458 Lott so he can finally "Feel" recoil.

Try a 505 Gibbs

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I have a few with the magnum designation. And a few of what may be considered bigger bores, depending upon who is doing the classification. My rule of thumb is if it hurts me, I will not be using it.
My philosophy is shoot what you like. I have my personal bullet / cartridge minimums. But, that is purely personal and I worry not with what others use.

I have been deer hunting (whitetails) for what will be 55 years this year, Lord willing. I have never owned a rifle (except for a lever action 44 magnum) with the word “Magnum” in it’s chambering. I have Elk hunted just once and successfully used a .308 Winchester. I have owned rifles chambered from the 223 Remington up to and including the 30-06 Springfield. I currently have a 6.5 Creedmoor and a 7mm-08 Remington and feel like I am well chambered for anything I have hunted and will hunt in the future. No Grizzleys in my future. My battery is complete. Call me a wuss if you want, but I’ve always liked shooting rifles that hurt worse on the front end than they do on the back end. Anybody else think the same way I think?

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by kaboku68

And if its in a CZ550, you can always take a chainsaw to the stock and whittle off enough lumber to build a cabin, should the need arise.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I have been deer hunting (whitetails) for what will be 55 years this year, Lord willing. I have never owned a rifle (except for a lever action 44 magnum) with the word “Magnum” in it’s chambering. I have Elk hunted just once and successfully used a .308 Winchester. I have owned rifles chambered from the 223 Remington up to and including the 30-06 Springfield. I currently have a 6.5 Creedmoor and a 7mm-08 Remington and feel like I am well chambered for anything I have hunted and will hunt in the future. No Grizzleys in my future. My battery is complete. Call me a wuss if you want, but I’ve always liked shooting rifles that hurt worse on the front end than they do on the back end. Anybody else think the same way I think?

If you are a wuss I may be a bigger wuss. I have owned one 7 mm mag and did not need to shoot it much to decide I do not care for its recoil at all! I was started out on a 6mm Rem and truth be told I feel this would have served me more than adequate for the deer hunting I have done & will be do going forward. To see what I was missing out on I have bought and used a 30-06, 270 Winchester & honestly for the hunting I do the 6.5 Grendel is as much as I feel I will need, Though If I would draw a Elk tag then I may brake out the 270 Win again.

love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23 gentleness, self-control

& Proverbs 21:19
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

558 members (160user, 1936M71, 1beaver_shooter, 1Longbow, 01Foreman400, 1234, 64 invisible), 2,450 guests, and 1,266 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,475
Posts18,489,932
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.