Print Thread
Hop To
J
jrsdws Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
J
Hey all. New here but have read countless posts over the years.

I picked up an mid 70's 99C 308 a little while back and I'm starting to (attempting to) set it up and dial it in for this fall's deer season.

I installed the Leupold 1pc base and medium STD rings and a VX-3i scope.

I had already purchased some 165gr Hornady American Whitetail factory ammo for it and some Interlock bullets so I could load my own after sighting in/setting up.

Well things haven't gone real well yet. She seems to really toss the 165gr around pretty inconsistently. I've been unable to keep 3 shots on an 8" target at 100 yards. We're talking something like a 6" to 8" group shooting off of a good bench with bags. I had 10rds left of the same Hornady factory ammo in 150gr and shot that and managed about a 3" to 4" group. The shot strings with the 150's were primarily strung horizontally so maybe I just need to get used to the trigger some or maybe this is a load I can work up better by handloading. It didn't appear that the 165's were tumbling as the bullet holes were clean/round.

So....having already bought the 165gr Interlocks, I loaded up an OCW set last night and will shoot them later today. I'm struggling to accept the significant difference between the factory 150s vs 165s.

I'm just curious of other's experience here and what you all think. I know there is a working load for this rifle, I just have to find it.

Last edited by jrsdws; 08/16/19.
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
JR
am assuming your C is a 308win?
i have found with the C models you need a small rubber washer between the barrel and forearm on the post to achieve any consistent accuracy.
i found this in both my C's . a 308 and a 243. a faucet washer works well.
also check your scope rings for looseness.

Last edited by deerstalker; 08/16/19.

the consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded. Robert E Lee
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
J
jrsdws Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
J
Yes 308 sorry. I updated my original post.

All is well with the base and rings as I've been keeping tabs on them throughout this.

I just added the faucet washer as you mentioned so I'm excited to give it a try!! What a simple, silly little fix if it works.

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll post later on my results.

L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
Before you go with the faucet washer you should try shooting a group with the forearm removed. This is the best place to start to determine if the forearm fit is part of the equation. The washer cures a lot of problems but it is good to know how it works without the forearm in case the washer doesn't solve the problem.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I had one like that.It shot purty crappy with the forearm on.Worked with it some and could never get it to shoot much better than an 1.5-2.0" at a hundred.Took the forearm off and it would shoot nearly one hole groups.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
As Bob Hagel would say"You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong."Good words of wisdom...............
IC B2

J
jrsdws Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
J
Originally Posted by baldhunter
I had one like that.It shot purty crappy with the forearm on.Worked with it some and could never get it to shoot much better than an 1.5-2.0" at a hundred.Took the forearm off and it would shoot nearly one hole groups.

Did the washer fix or improve it?

J
jrsdws Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
J
Didn't have enough factory ammo to shoot without the forearm and only had my 15 OCW rounds so shot those in with faucet washer installed. I did manage to get a 3"ish group with the middle of the road charges. The "hotter" charges blew the pattern out like the factory rounds so maybe I can dial it in.

This is about as good of a group as the factory 150s shot so I think I will work up some 150gr handloads and see what I come up with.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by jrsdws
Originally Posted by baldhunter

Did the washer fix or improve it?

Getting rid of it did.I tried floating,bedding.washers and all kinds of stuff,just never could get it to shoot that well with the forearm in place.This also seems to be an issue with some Ruger #1's

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
As Bob Hagel would say"You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong."Good words of wisdom...............
J
jrsdws Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
J
So....I misunderstood the original suggestion on placement of the faucet washer as I was rushing out to shoot that day. I had the washer on the end of the wood knob that fits into the receiver. I have since added an O ring to the barrel post and will load up enough rounds to shoot without the forearm installed and then with a single O ring, and if necessary, two O rings.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I wasn't aware of this issue. Is sloppy shooting due to forearms or barrel fitment something that eventually happened after something got worn out or did they leave the factory like that?

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by damnesia
I wasn't aware of this issue. Is sloppy shooting due to forearms or barrel fitment something that eventually happened after something got worn out or did they leave the factory like that?

on my C's the fit of the forearm post was tight with no wear. i always suspected they were never shot much because of the accuracy or lack thereof. on the CD i had to relieve a little to even get the washer in place. the thing is the stringing with that rifle was mostly vertical.
first shot was .5moa. next was 2 inches north. next 6 inches. next was over the moon. the washer got it to 1.25 inch for 10 shots.
i always use full mag shot groups.
the C 308 walked its string north and to the right. i had just read the thread here on the washer fix and it cured both.
prior to the washer i was thinking of sending both down the road.
the "sloppy shooting" is caused by the forearm channel contacting the barrel at some point with it shifting poi as the barrel warms.
the washer free floats the barrel so to speak.
i have since glassed the stud hole to achieve a positive cure to that issue. jm2cents

Last edited by deerstalker; 08/19/19.

the consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded. Robert E Lee
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
J
jrsdws Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
J
Shot quite a bit this morning with the factory Hornady American Whitetail rounds first without the forearm and 165gr loads. I never could get any consistency.

I switched to the same Hornady 150gr rounds and it dialed right in and remained consistent. I added a single "o" ring over the barrel stud and attached the forearm and maintained my consistent group of 1.25".

I think she simply doesn't like 165gr Hornady American Whitetails.......or my handloaded versions using the same Interlock bullet over Varget.

I'm just going to shoot and hunt with the 150s or start developing handloads in 150 for this one I guess.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Got an EG that loves 180’s and won’t shoot 150’s at all. Gotta work like heck to get 165’s to work.

Every gun is different. 1.25” groups are good, tho.

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com
J
jrsdws Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
J
Originally Posted by Calhoun
Got an EG that loves 180’s and won’t shoot 150’s at all. Gotta work like heck to get 165’s to work.

Every gun is different. 1.25” groups are good, tho.

Yep...for some reason it can be hard to swallow but I have an old Ruger M77 Mark II .223 that was the same way. No reason to fight it as the 150's will kill deer just as dead.

RAS Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
1.25 MOA is excellent. I would call that gun done.

I have a 99C in 284 that stays right around there. It’s been my main hunting rifle for last 3-4 years. It’s killed everything I have used it for. Actually, my son killed killed a nice 10 with it last year as well.

RAS

"...aspire to live quietly, and to mind your own affairs, and to work with your hands, as we instructed you, so that you may walk properly before outsiders and be dependent on no one." - Paul to the church in Thessalonica.

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
I had one of the latest m99’s in 308. It shot light weight bullets like 125-130 grains the best.

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

643 members (007FJ, 160user, 1minute, 1234, 10gaugemag, 1lessdog, 66 invisible), 2,819 guests, and 1,272 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,370
Posts18,469,135
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.