Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
I know a fellow that’s been directly hit by lightning 2x the first time stopped his heart and he had to be resuscitated the last blew the bottom out his feet he’s still hobbling around but when a thunder storm is near you don’t see him

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
PGA officials had suspended play and told all to seek safe cover 30 minutes before the strike. There was a hospitality tent near the strike and in the video you can see a few people walking by just before the bolt hit. PGA took proper precautions but I guess not everyone heeded the warning.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
In ground school you are taught that you may encounter lightning in clear air within 5 miles of a thunderhead. All I know is I'm not going to physically challenge that assertion.

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
Leroy, I've take peripheral lightning hits twice. Burns and whole-body muscle spasms that HURT. I golf, and I do NOT mess with lightning. I figure the third time will not be my charm!

I've been on AZ mountains in monsoon season and had that tingling sensation of static electricity building. I just bailed for the lowest, places I could get to the fastest, off the ridges and down into the canyons. But that's not always enough for some unlucky people. Never been very close to an actual strike however. At least 100 yds to the closest I think. Good enough for me.

I've seen a few trees on my property and elsewhere blown to pieces by lightening. I don't want to even think of what it would do to a person.

J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by 12344mag
Electrifying!!

Winner winner....

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
IC B2

Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
[Linked Image]

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Cool picture, but a minute later they were dead.

[Linked Image]

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
My grandpa got nailed while riding his horse in his Montana pasture....... dead.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I've been in the mountains more than once during a thunderstorm, and have a healthy respect for lightning.

Elk hunting Colorado, I had just spent about 2 hours serious effort to get on a ridge I wanted to hunt. A gentle sprinkle of rain started and became enough I thought I should get my poncho on before I got really wet. I leaned my pack & rifle against the tallest tree at the top of the ridge. No hint of lightning yet.

Just then I heard a low rumble of thunder way off, like 20 miles away? I'm thinking I need to pay attention and if it gets closer I need to get off this ridge. Just as my head poked thru the poncho I was blinded by the atomic flash about 300 yards down the ridge. Ears ringing, smell the ozone close.

Pack & rifle on my back in about 5 seconds, I ran downhill in 3 minutes what took me 40 minutes to climb!

Always drink upstream from the herd...cowdoc...
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Some years ago I was bow hunting along a ridge in a heavy snow storm. Then the fireworks started. Because of the heavy clouds and falling snow, I couldn't see the lightning but I could sure hear the thunder, all around me. I've never bailed off a ridge so fast in my life. I went straight down off that thing.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
IC B3

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
When I was a kid my Dad and I were riding horses. Rain started coming in so we ran them back to the house...gates were closed and we didn't want to take time to open gates etc...drive in basement door was open and the truck was out so we ran up to there, dismounted, and led the horses in. Stood there inside the door just watching it rain. Lighting hit a corner post on the fence about 90-100 yards away and blew the bottom of it out. It was LOUD. I don't know who jumped more, the horses or us. Luckily the horses didn't go ape crap and settled down quick. My ears rang for a long time.

We lost horses and cattle to lighting several times when I was a kid. Every couple of years I'll lose an electric fence charger to it. I NEVER work on a fence when there's a chance of lighting.

We have an exchange student staying with us and our kids this year. He's amazed at the thunder storms and lightening.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
We were up north a couple weeks back when the wildest lightning storm that I've ever seen went through just south of us. It was like a strobe light with a flash every second or so. It had straight line winds and tornadoes that turned Oconto County into an official disaster area. Two years ago a strike hundreds of yards away knocked out two of our HDMI TV connections.

Closest that I've ever been was trolling for salmon out on Lake Michigan. I had a Sage carbon fishing pole in the pole holder and I could hear some rumbling off in the distance, so I knew that something was coming. I went to reach for that rod (lightning rods are carbon) and there was a blue flame of static electricity that met my hand! Never again. There was a warning on that rod about lightning, but I didn't believe it until right then.

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Scary stuff for sure

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

104 members (7mm_Loco, 264mag, 280Ackleyrized, 300_savage, 15 invisible), 1,777 guests, and 905 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,538
Posts18,531,060
Members74,039
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.