Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
The Mongol Derby. 12 days, 600 miles across Mongolia, more or less following the route of Genghis Kahn's version of the pony express. It finished a few days ago. The winner was a 70 year old man from Boise, ID of all places. Is his nick name Frank Hopkins?

[Linked Image]

After more than a week spending 12 hours per day on horseback, one Idahoan finished what’s known as the world’s toughest horse race — and set a record doing it.

Robert Long of Boise crossed the finish line of the Mongol Derby about 9 p.m. Tuesday — Wednesday morning in Mongolia — after riding more than 600 miles across the Mongolian Steppe. The race, which is in its 11th year, is meant to replicate the route of Genghis Khan’s horseback messenger system of the early 1200s. At 70 years old, Long is the oldest person to ever win the Mongol Derby, beating 41 other competitors from across the globe.

In a Facebook Live interview from the finish line, Long joked about the grueling trek.

“My horse just won the Mongol Derby,” he said.

“It’s nothing, you just ride 650 miles on a death march. There’s nothing to it.”

It’s a task that would be daunting to just about any equestrian, said Long’s girlfriend, Stephanie Nelson, in a phone interview.

“This type of grueling, body-bruising ride ... (most of us) are not prepared for that,” said Nelson, who lives in Donnelly.

Even Long, who has been around horses his entire life, had never attempted something like the derby prior to signing up last fall. Nelson said he began training with endurance riders immediately, completing his first endurance race in January. Most endurance rides top out around 100 miles.

“Bob isn’t just the oldest, he has ridden better and stronger, camping out more, than anyone else,” said Tom Morgan, head of the Adventurists, which puts on the race. “We opened up the course this year to make navigation a key skill again, and Bob absolutely nailed it. The man is tougher than a box of concrete.”

To make the race even more challenging, the entire derby is ridden on small, scrappy Mongolian horses that are “semi-feral.” Each rider switches out horses at multiple veterinary checkpoints to ensure that the animals aren’t overworked.

According to a news release from the derby, Long switched horses 28 times during the eight days he was on the trail.

Many of the horses come from local Mongolian families, who lend their racing horses and workhorses for the derby, and even allow riders to share their homes along the route.

Nelson said that in addition to meticulously planning his route — there was no marked trail in this year’s derby — and gear, Long had to plan which gifts to bring for the families that hosted him.

“He took a bunch of blue ribbons (from U.S. equestrian events), and every time he came in first, he’d take a ribbon and tie it on the horse’s tail,” said Nelson, explaining that the blue ribbon is very significant in Mongolia.

In the Facebook video from the finish line, Long tied a final ribbon on his winning steed’s tail after being presented with his own blue silk scarf.

“The communities just took him in as their own, and I think (the ribbons) were a big key to his success,” Nelson said. “By the time he was ready to go, they were scrambling to give him their best horses.”

And it wasn’t just the horses that ensured his success. A post on the derby’s Facebook page called Long “the most bad ass cowboy you will ever meet.” A former Healthwise employee with a Ph.D. in public health, Long also has skills in extreme mountain trail competitions, bronc training and ranch horse versatility work. He’s also a meticulous planner, Nelson said.

“He researches and plans down to the gnat’s eyelash,” she said. “He had a prescription for how he wanted the race to go, and it went pretty much perfectly.”

Long navigated with a Garmin GPS, taking calculated risks like riding through tough marsh terrain to shave off time and stay ahead of the pack.

His horsemanship background came in handy when choosing and bonding with his many mounts, Nelson said — an especially important rapport when dealing with unfamiliar horses.

“You get on these suckers and hope you’re pointed in the right direction,” Nelson joked.

“It’s very different from how our horses are trained here.”

Nelson, a GIS expert by trade, kept tabs on Long’s trek via a live tracker, which let her feel as if she was riding along with him.

“He rode like Bob,” Nelson said. “And if you know Bob, you know that’s different from everybody else.”

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
switched horses 28 times. cool!!

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Horsemanship...is one thing, strength, brains and toughness too? What a man.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
Impressive achievement!

Mercy ceases to be a virtue when it enables further injustice. -Brent Weeks

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Hoo boy, better keep this out of the mainstream equestrian media. They would flip out at the thought of those poor horse babies being ridden like that. I would love to see a documentary of the ride.

Fight fire, save lives, laugh in the face of danger.

Stupid always finds a way.
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
"Tougher than a box of concrete"

Well there's a new one.

You can be dumb as a box of rocks but if you're a box of concrete you're one tough sob.

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Amazing feat for any age person! I wouldn't be able to walk for a month, after two days riding!

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Great post! Thanks, good to know I can aspire to be a bad-a$$ by age 70, tho mine would prob’ly involve bicycles.

I’ll bet these guys approve.....

Putting Mongolia on my bucket list.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Riding horseback for six hours,traveling to and from Little Elk Basin when I was half his age,left me slightly sore the next day.

He must be quite the equestrian to do six hundred miles on 28 different horses.

Kudos Mr.Hopkins.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." **Edmund Burke**

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." **Benjamin Franklin**
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Inspirational for us, mature citizens. What a ride!!

Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it Almighty God! I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me liberty of give me death! P. Henry

Deus vult!

Rhodesians all now

IC B3

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
I love hearing about guys my age doing stuff like this. My concept of hell could involve 600 miles on a horse.

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher
Great post! Thanks, good to know I can aspire to be a bad-a$$ by age 70, tho mine would prob’ly involve bicycles.

I’ll bet these guys approve.....

Putting Mongolia on my bucket list.

Mongolian Hip Hop!

I could wish a lot of things on my worst enemy but neuropathy ain't one of them.
Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Impressive +P.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Hardcore!

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Impressive for sure. I did 40 miles in one day and I was tired!!!! Knees were hating me as well

Life is but the memories we've created.....Sully Erna
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
https://www.cnn.com/2019/08/24/us/18-year-old-tevis-cup-horse-race-craigslist-trnd/index.html?utm_source=fbCNN&utm_content=2019-08-25T16%3A38%3A06&utm_term=link&utm_medium=social&fbclid=IwAR3W5QdWoPOq9lb3suCWF1XsRXCRMeTcr-TOH8Vy7YYz0oHgPZgi9VQrB10

An 18-year-old woman won a 100-mile endurance race with a free horse from Craigslist
Ryan Prior

By Ryan Prior, CNN

Updated 4:16 PM ET, Sat August 24, 2019
Goober isn't the only horse her family has found on Craigslist, Sanoma Blakeley says.
Goober isn't the only horse her family has found on Craigslist, Sanoma Blakeley says.

(CNN)After 16 hours pushing through the world's most rigorous endurance horse race, 18-year-old Sanoma Blakeley and her horse Goober were sprinting all-out under a black sky in California's Gold Rush country.
Neck and neck with them was a three-time winner of the race, Jeremy Reynolds. Blakeley, meanwhile, was striding atop a horse her family found for free on Craigslist.
"He passed me a couple of times in the last four miles," Blakely told CNN. "We were running our horses as fast as they were willing to go."
In the end, Blakeley finished about a horse length in front of her competitor.

After galloping out at 5:15 a.m. near Truckee, California, she and Goober had endured three canyons, multiple river crossings and epic elevation changes while traversing 100 miles on the Western States Trail.
One hundred eighty-four horses began this year's Tevis Cup. The race standings show 98 horses crossing the finish line.
Riding between points near Truckee to finish near Auburn, California, they were competing in the 64th annual running of the Tevis Cup on August 17. It bills itself as the world's most difficult equestrian endurance ride.
The 10-year-old Goober has been Blakeley's family for eight years.
The 10-year-old Goober has been Blakeley's family for eight years.
'You get out what you put in,' Blakeley says
Eight years ago, Blakeley's father Wasch answered a Craigslist ad offering the horse up for free.
"He didn't know the guy," Blakeley said. But it wasn't the only time they've found horses that way. "We've gotten a few good horses on Craigslist."
The family owns Blakeley Endurance Stables, where Goober is one of seven horses under their care.
The horse may not have come from strong racing stock, but Blakeley does. Her mother has completed six Tevis Cups and her father has finished five of the races.
Blakeley began racing horses in the American Endurance Ride Conference when she was just 6 years old. She first attempted the Tevis Cup as a 12-year-old in 2014, and then again in 2016.
Both times she didn't finish. The race has numerous veterinary stops throughout the course, where vets perform metabolic tests on the horses, and require a horse's pulse rate to fall to a certain level before the horse and rider can press on.
She said in her past attempts, her horse didn't pass muster at vet stops marking the 55th and 68th miles, respectively.
One difference this year: her horse.
"He was feeling really strong the whole day," she said. And when Goober's pulse rate fell to a normal resting rate faster than other horses, Blakeley could get a head start out of the vet stops.

Winning the race was a product of a lifetime of hard work for the young woman who hails from Terrebonne, Oregon.
"It was just a lot of time conditioning," Blakeley said. "You get out what you put in."

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Excellent! I can't even imagine.

1Minute
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
One tough ole SOB. That would make the old Pony Express Routes look like a cakewalk. 🤠

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
Rock Chuck, don’t want to rain on your parade....well maybe just a little 😉! Mr Long (Bob) was born in Cheyenne, Wy. So.... maybe we can share the honor. memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by memtb
Rock Chuck, don’t want to rain on your parade....well maybe just a little 😉! Mr Long (Bob) was born in Cheyenne, Wy. So.... maybe we can share the honor. memtb
He can't help where his parents lived 70 years ago. He moved to Idaho as soon as he was able. laugh

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

510 members (1minute, 12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugeman, 160user, 1eyedmule, 63 invisible), 2,661 guests, and 1,290 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,203
Posts18,503,734
Members73,994
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.