Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
J
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J
I like to use the Leupold STD, 2 pc scope bases that have the two windage screws in the rear. However, since 1980 ( I was a Weaver man before then) I have never found a proper fitting screwdriver, tool, anything that actually "fits" their slot! I almost always end up "Boogering up" the slots , sometimes have to replace them. Does anyone know of a certain screwdriver, where to get it and/or an alternative tool? When they are properly set up,I have never had one give me trouble, on hard kickers too. Please, HELP!!!

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Wheeler Gunsmith Tool Kit has the screwdriver that fits...😎

https://www.google.com/search?q=whe...iw=1024&bih=666#imgrc=-kBI3XGxZlmkdM

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Or use a quarter or Chuckie Cheese token held in pliers. Won't booger if it slips because it's soft. Ain't gotta be that dang tight.

Never had an issue with these, on rifles up to .270-.30/06 class, btw.

What fresh Hell is this?
B
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
I have a large Craftsman screw driver that I have used for that purpose for many years. It is not a perfect fit, but works fine and has not messed up the slots on the screws.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
I ground my own using a big screwdriver. First I “smushed” modeling clay into a windage screw to get a feel for the curvature of the slot, then used my grinder to approximate the pattern. After that I ever so slightly rounded the corners. Came out well.

You only live once, but...if you do it right, once is enough.
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Brownells item # 080-430-430WB
This is ground to a perfect fit for Leupold. There is a different bit for Redfield. That's how precise the sizing is.
Brownells has exactly what you want
Cheers,
Rex

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Originally Posted by Jim_Knight
I like to use the Leupold STD, 2 pc scope bases that have the two windage screws in the rear. However, since 1980 ( I was a Weaver man before then) I have never found a proper fitting screwdriver, tool, anything that actually "fits" their slot! I almost always end up "Boogering up" the slots , sometimes have to replace them. Does anyone know of a certain screwdriver, where to get it and/or an alternative tool? When they are properly set up,I have never had one give me trouble, on hard kickers too. Please, HELP!!!

I've been using them but with a one piece base for 38 years with neri a problem, but you're correct, I've never seen a screw driver that really fit them, except maybe one of my big long ones with a really thick blade. But that blade is kind of wide for them and I really can't center the screw driver in them.

What goes up must come down, what goes around comes around, there's no free lunch. Trump's comin' back, get over it!
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Originally Posted by Beaver10
Wheeler Gunsmith Tool Kit has the screwdriver that fits...😎

https://www.google.com/search?q=whe...iw=1024&bih=666#imgrc=-kBI3XGxZlmkdM

I've got the Wheeler kit but none are really that wide.

What goes up must come down, what goes around comes around, there's no free lunch. Trump's comin' back, get over it!
P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
I use a large S&K screwdriver.

I also had a large wooden handle one from long ago.

With them one needs not tighten farmer tight.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Brownells sells the the perfect fit 1/4" drive bit

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
I’ve been using a Canajun Cariboo Quarter, don’t think a Loonie or Toonie quite fits.

History May Not Repeat, But it Rhymes.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B-Square used to make a wrench that fit the windage screws in Redfield turn--in bases, their part number T1011.

It appears that they have been discontinued, you could contact B-Sqaure and see if they have any left in inventory.

J
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J
Thanks guys. I will order the one from brownells!!! Hot dog.

J
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J
Had to go Home Depot so picked up a 7" Husky with a 5/16" wide blade. worked swell. $6

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Yep Jim Knight. I have the B-Square kit too but the one I have doesn't have the screw driver tip thick enough to fill the slot either. I do have a big screw driver of the size you listed that fllls the gap in the screw slot, Whlle not perfect the blade is thick enough but it's pretty wide and so it's a bit awkward to turn.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by Pappy348
Or use a quarter or Chuckie Cheese token held in pliers. Won't booger if it slips because it's soft. Ain't gotta be that dang tight.

Never had an issue with these, on rifles up to .270-.30/06 class, btw.

As often occurs on the "fire there is a lot of overthinking going on - Pappy had the answer and it is by far the cheapest and most convenient one.

Back in the day when those mounts were designed they had the large slots so that they could be tighted/loosened with pocket change - a quarter or 50 cent piece, or use a "Loonie" if you are Canadian.

Take a look at a lot of the older 22 rifles, they too were fitted with a screw head large enough to allow the barreled action to be removed from the stock using a quarter.

drover

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

24hourcampfire.com - The site where there is a problem for every solution.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I believe you need a hollow ground tip screwdriver. All that really means is it is not tapered like a standard screwdriver.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
I didn't know adjusting these screws was so complicated....

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
J
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J
Normally, they're not, ha. These had their new thread seal stuff on the threads, and they were becoming super tight before they gripped the slot in the rings base. The new Husky screwdriver fixed it! smile

J
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J
I used to use a quarter on Weaver Rings too, way back in the 70's when I willy nilly swapped/removed the one scope I had. It went from my deer rifle to my .22 as I had need. With resulting rezeroing each time. Back then, "swamp rabbits" ( a big hare we had in the south) sold for $2.75 gutted at the Wild Meat & Fish Market down by the river, there in Liberty, Tx. Since I had a young family, I counted on a lot of rabbits to help with extras, ha. But, I liked to shoot my handloads whenever I got a day off ( rare indeed) so it went back and forth.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

583 members (10gaugeman, 12344mag, 160user, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 10ring1, 67 invisible), 3,004 guests, and 1,269 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,491
Posts18,471,930
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.