Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by DakotaDeer
I listened to the radio a bunch today on a long drive. The MSM said that Trump had escalated the trade war with China, was tweeting us into a recession, and that his deal with Japan was simply a smokescreen to throw us off the trail as we head into a massive world downturn and possible economic collapse.

No mention of Japanese collusion? Maybe that needs to wait until the work week.

Mercy ceases to be a virtue when it enables further injustice. -Brent Weeks

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
GB1

R
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
R
Originally Posted by rem141r
China owns about 25 % of the agricultural land in the Midwest?? i find that hard to believe.

Foreigners been buying land in the midwest for years. A big chunk of China's land is not suitable for agriculture so they do the next best thing and go to foreign countries and buy the land so they don't starve or have to deal with foreign governments. We have 6 times more land that is suitable for agriculture than they have. Here's an article talking about China buying land in Nebraska -

http://www.takepart.com/article/2016/02/22/china-syngenta-smithfield/

R
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
R
Originally Posted by steve4102
. He went to buy a John Deere tractor a few months ago and wanted to write a check for 125k to pay for it,

Yup sounds like he is just breaking even.

He has cattle and gets royalties from oil on his property too. He isn't hurting for money...If he didn't have the royalties from oil though, he would have most likely had to sale the farm thats been in his family for 5 generations a long time ago as the property taxes in the county we grew up in in Texas have went sky high the past few years...

Last edited by Rockymtnhigh; 08/25/19.
R
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
R
Originally Posted by Pat85
Originally Posted by Rockymtnhigh
No knock on Trump, at least he is trying to kick China in the teeth, but how does this really hurt China? They'll just buy their agricultural products from Brazil who our stupid arse government subsidizes like we do famers here in the US...Plus China owns about 25 % of the agricultural land in the Midwest and we are probably subsidizing those farms too with Taxpayer money. Just seems like to me farmers/ livestock raisers in Brazil are about to make a lot of money from China while our government gives them taxpayer money to subsidize them...Need to do way more to fix the problems with agriculture here in the US.

I have a friend in Texas that plants 800 acres of wheat every year and the only time he ever makes a good profit on it is when they lose the crop and get insurance money...Most years they just break even...He went to buy a John Deere tractor a few months ago and wanted to write a check for 125k to pay for it, and the dealership had no ideal how to do the paperwork to sale it to him outright. They wanted him to fill out government assistance paperwork even though he didn't need it. They said nobody ever buys farm equipment anymore without some kind of subsidy from the government.

So who was Brazil selling their ag products to before China?? Are those former Brazilian customers just going to stop using ag products??

Brazil has already increased production of certain crops like soybeans by several percent, and they are having no trouble meeting the demands so far for agricultural exports to China where we left off when Trump increased the tarrifs. They have a lot of agricultural land for expansion...However, you are right, It might be an issue in the future for China as their population keeps growing rapidly, and foreign countries cant meet the demands.

The whole point of what I was saying is Brazil's farmers are subsidized by our money (via tarrifs we pay on our exports to Brazil as well as other subsidies we have given them through the years)... Brazils government subsidizes their farmers just like we do and they charge us big tariffs on goods we trade with them to pay for a lot of it...So what's the difference if Trump raises tarrifs on agricultural products coming from here to China if they are not raising tariffs on the ag products being exported from Brazil to China. How is it hurting China right now? They are still getting ag products subsidized by us from Brazil without paying the big tariffs Trump imposed.

Last edited by Rockymtnhigh; 08/25/19.
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
How will the markets react ? Here's a clue. From MSNBC no less...

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/mar...-back-to-the-table/ar-AAGjA2U?li=BBnb7Kz

IC B2

R
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by rem141r
China owns about 25 % of the agricultural land in the Midwest?? i find that hard to believe.

Foreigners been buying land in the midwest for years. A big chunk of China's land is not suitable for agriculture so they do the next best thing and go to foreign countries and buy the land so they don't starve or have to deal with foreign governments. We have 6 times more land that is suitable for agriculture than they have. Here's an article talking about China buying land in Nebraska -

http://www.takepart.com/article/2016/02/22/china-syngenta-smithfield/

This is interesting....I live and farm in the heart of the corn belt....I know of zero acres owned by China....I know some insurance companies and large investors have bought up a bunch but holly cow 25%.? I would think if that were true I would have some China farms close....now We have a local grain elivater that is forgin owned....either Japan or China...its CGB...

O
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
O
I am not aware of any land in OK owned by foreign entities, other than the LDS.

There are 2 rules to success:

1. Never tell everything that you know.
M
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by MtnBoomer
No knock on Trump, at least he is trying to kick China in the teeth, but how does this really hurt China? They'll just buy their agricultural products from Brazil who our stupid arse government subsidizes like we do famers here in the US...Plus China owns about 25 % of the agricultural land in the Midwest and we are probably subsidizing those farms too with Taxpayer money. Just seems like to me farmers/ livestock raisers in Brazil are about to make a lot of money from China while our government gives them taxpayer money to subsidize them...Need to do way more to fix the problems with agriculture here in the US.

I have a friend in Texas that plants 800 acres of wheat every year and the only time he ever makes a good profit on it is when they lose the crop and get insurance money...Most years they just break even...He went to buy a John Deere tractor a few months ago and wanted to write a check for 125k to pay for it, and the dealership had no ideal how to do the paperwork to sale it to him outright. They wanted him to fill out government assistance paperwork even though he didn't need it. They said nobody ever buys farm equipment anymore without some kind of subsidy from the government.

Russian Bot?

That post does have a particular fragrance to it. Like bovine processed silage.

Mark

NRA Life Member
Anytime anyone kicks cancers azz is a good day!

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Oh The Drama!
R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
I heard this morning that Trump believes the Chinese will come back to the table soon.

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

571 members (204guy, 160user, 1beaver_shooter, 1badf350, 1234, 19rabbit52, 57 invisible), 2,403 guests, and 1,237 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,863
Posts18,517,866
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.