Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Terryk Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I called up a big shop near me and they had one new stainless Ruger 44 magnum with the 3 3/4 barrel in stock. So I ran out to the shop before they closed on Friday evening. I gave it a brief look over and signed the papers. It does hold nice, and the weight with an unfluted cylinder should help with full loads.
I was going to shoot it today, so I took it out of the case to clean up. Then I quickly noticed the front sight is not centered on the barrel, the trigger guard is not scalloped symmetrically on both sides of the trigger with respect to the barrel axis, and the front of the trigger guard is cut about 15 degrees off square. I really don't think this should have made it out of inspection. All these flaws are pretty obvious, and in my opinion not minor flaws like a machining mark. As far as machining marks the front sight is dinged up in two places, I mention that to the dealer, but I figured I could sand out those flaws. I did not clean it or shoot it.
I guess I'll call Ruger CS tomorrow and see how they what to address this.

GB1

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Pictures would help. And good pics might help your case with Ruger as well.

Clinging to guns & religion since 1959

Keyboards make people braver than alcohol

Election Integrity is more important than Election Convenience

Washington Post: "Democracy Dies in Darkness"
More correct: "Killing Democracy Faster Than Darkness"
Terryk Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
The sight is on crooked. It is not centered, tilted, and canted. For the trigger guard you can see the right end is longer, basically cut on an angle. It is hard to show the scallops, but one is much longer than the other. I guess the trigger guard was not seated in the jig right for machining. Of all crazy things, their is a youtube video with the same problems, that is very odd. Anyway my 750 dollar gun looks like a high school project gone wrong. Gun hods nice, and has a nice trigger. Other parts are machined to Ruger standards. Makes you wonder about quality of the sear, timing, and other things that could be overlooked.
I filled out a defect form on their CS web page yesterday. They said 3 days for a reply, so we will see.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Last edited by Terryk; 08/27/19.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I got my first total dog Ruger 45 Blackhawk in '98 and at that time, customer service was not great. I hope it has improved and that your dealings with them go smoothly.

Too often, today's Ruger is an 80% Kit with a serial number.

Direct Impingement is the Fart Joke of military rifle operating systems. ⓒ
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
For far too long now, I think Ruger is trying to crank out too many guns. I never understood the "Million Gun Challenge" nonsense they've done in the past since the result was quantity at the expense of quality.

Mediocre ain't a challenge, it's easy ...... just ask Smith & Wesson.

ETA: Look at all the knocks & dings noted in these pics on a brand new gun. This is pathetic .... Taurus does a better job at aesthetics.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/825904911

Last edited by 41magfan; 08/27/19.

The uninitiated are always easily impressed.
NRA Endowment Member
IC B2

Terryk Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Thing that was startling to me is others have the same crooked sight and goofy trigger guard. Silly to allow the same defect out the door.
I think the barrel is not seated in the frame, and the sight holes are not vertical with respect to the cylinder bore, so they buba'd the sight to get the test rounds on paper?
It is pretty third world.
Let me say I like Ruger, and have a bunch. So machine marks are OK, but this is pretty bizarre.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

599 members (10Glocks, 007FJ, 10gaugeman, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 06hunter59, 50 invisible), 2,084 guests, and 1,260 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,041
Posts18,482,043
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.