Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by jwp475
Originally Posted by CraigC
Yeah, it took all of two.

How about 10 and then a finisher with a
500. The picture shows the number

Funny, the half dozen people who were actually there don't seem to agree with you. Nor does the video that I guess I need to process and put on YouTube so you'll finally stop spreading lies and falsehoods.

It was on the ground after the first two and about 100yds. As you very well know, our trips to Hondo are not pure hunts but live bullet tests. So we try to get as many bullets into them as possible before they expire. That buffalo was not shot with a .500 until it was already dead. Just stop already.

Most they do agree you sjit 10 holes withbtgr 44 to get him on the ground
Your claimbtgat the 45 doesn't handle heavy bullets better is laughable. The larger diameter assures that the same weight bullets will be shorter than the .429

HIW NANY HAVE YOU TSKEN WITH THE 45?

This post is unreadable.

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by HawkI
First, historically, bore size determined wound channels and killing power WAY before anyone knew what a meplat was. The pointed/round 22 rimfire, the 44 rimfire and the 56 Spencer rimfire might be the first clue. Throw in the use of roundballs before that. You seem to be really educated on modern theory, but arrive a bit late in the concept of solids. Certainly, wonders do never cease. Perhaps a re-hash of the Philippine Insurrection might be in order, or the decimation of the American Bison.
Maybe a few hundred deer shot with slugs, real deer slugs, in 410 bore, 20, 16 and 12 gauge would give one some insight.

Again, I just posted you a picture of a 41 Keith with a larger meplat than any of the 44 bullets I've posted. Since you claim bore size has no determination in wound channel, I'd like you to explain how the 41 doesn't compete, "in the world of physics" with what many feel are inferior 44 bullets. I also posted my experience of a 38, both larger diameter meplat than posted 44's and driven faster on actual animals, not theoretical bullshit. The 38 OWC DOES NOT make a larger wound diameter than simple Keith 44's do. If you've seen this on actual kills, I'd like to hear what you saw that I apparently didn't, then tell me again how bore size doesn't have any determination on wound channel. I'd really like to hear it.

Another note on load data: Speer has had 300gr. 45 loads at 25,000 CUP and 300gr. 44 loads at 40,000 CUP for years in several manual editions. The data was shot from two 7.5 inch production guns.
It's worth a note in this argument/dicussion....

Yeah, bore size was increased and thought to be the best way to gain terminal effect (mostly in the form of mass) for centuries. Long before we had the knowledge we have now of what actually destroys tissue and creates wound channels. I shouldn't have to point out that a flat nosed SWC or LBT creates a MUCH larger wound channel than a roundnose or roundball. Inf act, there is very little difference between the wound channel of a 9mm and .45ACP when using hardball. They both categorically suck. The fact that the bison herds were wiped out (not decimated) with heavy roundnose bullets is really irrelevant. I don't know why people think such vague, 150yr old references have any place in a discussion about terminal ballistics.

I've been hunting with handguns for over 30 friggin' years. So I don't know what you think you know that I do not. I just don't hunt with .357's, never have.

You likened the comparison between the .41 and .44 to that of the .44 and .45 and I was pointing out the flaw in that comparison. The .41 cannot compete in terms of bullet weight. While the .44 and .45 do their best work with the SAME weight bullets, the .41 cannot come close. There are some outdated 300gr SSK's from Beartooth but the 265's and 280's are much more common. That's a long way from 355/360gr.

Old tech 300gr jacketed bullets do not interest me and the loads you mention fall well short of the cartridge's potential, in both cases.

Buffalo with the 44

Are we really gonna do that again?

Originally Posted by EthanEdwards
I disproved, at least to my own satisfaction, that all of those virtues were non-existent.

The .45Colt does not offer more performance. It offers similar performance.
You actually just contradicted yourself.

That's all you got, grammar correction?
When the grammar is such that it actually contradicts the point you're trying to get across then yeah, that's what I've got. It do make a difference. lol

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by moosemike
Yeah, it took all of two.

How about 10 and then a finisher with a
500. The picture shows the number

Funny, the half dozen people who were actually there don't seem to agree with you. Nor does the video that I guess I need to process and put on YouTube so you'll finally stop spreading lies and falsehoods.

It was on the ground after the first two and about 100yds. As you very well know, our trips to Hondo are not pure hunts but live bullet tests. So we try to get as many bullets into them as possible before they expire. That buffalo was not shot with a .500 until it was already dead. Just stop already.

Your claimbtgat the 45 doesn't handle heavy bullets better is laughable. The larger diameter assures that the same weight bullets will be shorter than the .429

HIW NANY HAVE YOU TSKEN WITH THE 45?

This post is unreadable.
Not if you scrunch your eyes up and look at it sideways. That or some of them 3D glasses like the oldsters wore in a theater to see Godzilla.

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
First, historically, bore size determined wound channels and killing power WAY before anyone knew what a meplat was. The pointed/round 22 rimfire, the 44 rimfire and the 56 Spencer rimfire might be the first clue. Throw in the use of roundballs before that. You seem to be really educated on modern theory, but arrive a bit late in the concept of solids. Certainly, wonders do never cease. Perhaps a re-hash of the Philippine Insurrection might be in order, or the decimation of the American Bison.
Maybe a few hundred deer shot with slugs, real deer slugs, in 410 bore, 20, 16 and 12 gauge would give one some insight.

Again, I just posted you a picture of a 41 Keith with a larger meplat than any of the 44 bullets I've posted. Since you claim bore size has no determination in wound channel, I'd like you to explain how the 41 doesn't compete, "in the world of physics" with what many feel are inferior 44 bullets. I also posted my experience of a 38, both larger diameter meplat than posted 44's and driven faster on actual animals, not theoretical bullshit. The 38 OWC DOES NOT make a larger wound diameter than simple Keith 44's do. If you've seen this on actual kills, I'd like to hear what you saw that I apparently didn't, then tell me again how bore size doesn't have any determination on wound channel. I'd really like to hear it.

Another note on load data: Speer has had 300gr. 45 loads at 25,000 CUP and 300gr. 44 loads at 40,000 CUP for years in several manual editions. The data was shot from two 7.5 inch production guns.
It's worth a note in this argument/dicussion....

Yeah, bore size was increased and thought to be the best way to gain terminal effect (mostly in the form of mass) for centuries. Long before we had the knowledge we have now of what actually destroys tissue and creates wound channels. I shouldn't have to point out that a flat nosed SWC or LBT creates a MUCH larger wound channel than a roundnose or roundball. Inf act, there is very little difference between the wound channel of a 9mm and .45ACP when using hardball. They both categorically suck. The fact that the bison herds were wiped out (not decimated) with heavy roundnose bullets is really irrelevant. I don't know why people think such vague, 150yr old references have any place in a discussion about terminal ballistics.

I've been hunting with handguns for over 30 friggin' years. So I don't know what you think you know that I do not. I just don't hunt with .357's, never have.

You likened the comparison between the .41 and .44 to that of the .44 and .45 and I was pointing out the flaw in that comparison. The .41 cannot compete in terms of bullet weight. While the .44 and .45 do their best work with the SAME weight bullets, the .41 cannot come close. There are some outdated 300gr SSK's from Beartooth but the 265's and 280's are much more common. That's a long way from 355/360gr.

Old tech 300gr jacketed bullets do not interest me and the loads you mention fall well short of the cartridge's potential, in both cases.

I'll keep it simple so the dodging isn't so overwhelming.

Did the old masters use larger bores to make larger wounds, round nose or round ball. Yes or no. Why or why not?

Little difference in wound channel between 9mm hardball and 45; um, okay.
[Linked Image]

Don't take my word for it; there are several turn of the century tests and military endeavors to the contrary.

The bison herds weren't wiped out by too many cartridges under 45 caliber; in a world without flatnoses, bores, not meplats, did the killing.
It might surprise you, but modern handgunning essentially tries to replicate 150 year old black powder rifle cartridges.

Meplats provide the wound channel; that's your claim, is it not? Bore plays no role. Yes or no is fine.

The 41 can ballistically replicate the 44 easily; throw a bullet of the same S.D. at the same speed. Pretty simple. According to you, a bullet with the same meplat (or larger) makes it the same thing. A 265 .411 has pretty much the same S.D. as a 320 ish 44; since meplat (according to you) is what creates the wound channel, that would essentially make the same load, does it not?
I'm sure your first ditch is the bullet weight. Again, same speed, same S.D. and the penetration argument is out the window. The greater weight does nothing.
Anyone can cut a mould with greater weight and a nose that replicates the widest, heaviest 44 load, simply by replicating speed and S.D., something the 41 is easily capable of.

FWIW, the Speer data, at least for the 44, exceeds the CUP and PSI standards of every Hodgdon load listed (at 40,000 CUP). The problem you have is that it was actually fired from a production arm.

"AND I HAVE YET TO ENCOUNTER ANYONE WHO CAN PROVIDE LOAD DATA THAT CONFLICTS WITH MY STATEMENTS. ZERO. ZILCH. NADA."

Speer 12, 13 and 14. 300 grain bullets. 44 @ 40,000 CUP fired from a 7.5 Redhawk, 45 Colt @25,000 CUP fired from a 7.5 inch Blackhawk.
You may not like the bullets (I've actually used the 45 on several deer), and you won't like the data, but there it is.
And before you cry foul, its about the same vintage as the Hodgdon data.....

Last edited by HawkI; 08/28/19.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Meplats become important with hardcast. The old round nose soft lead bullets would mushroom.

IC B2

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Uh, no.....

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C

HOW MANY HAVE YOU TAKEN WITH THE 45?

Were you drunk when you posted that?

The buffalo was on the ground after the first two shots. Everything after that was fired after he laid down. Period. End of story. Anyone who says anything different is either lying or misinformed. If you're basing your comments on whatever Richard told you, he wasn't there. So unless you're calling me, Whit, Mark and Jack Huntington all liars, just stop.

Both cartridges peak with 355/360gr bullets. The .44 drives them faster. Neither is particularly useful with ~400gr bullets. So it's YOUR assertion that the .45 magically handles heavier bullets that is laughable. Wishful thinking at its best. Which is pretty much all you have, head buried in sand. Provide data or give it up.

I'm not dodging anything but you are all over the place. You're intermixing different concepts in an effort to win an argument.

Did the old masters use larger bores to make larger wounds, round nose or round ball. Yes or no. Why or why not?

I don't know who the "old masters" were but yes, larger and larger projectiles were used to increase terminal effect. Pretty sure I said that. When the .45Colt was born, it used soft swaged bullets so deformation was expected. I'm sorry but we can't go back in time and compare a bunch of 10th hand anecdotal bullshit to what we KNOW today. So let's at least stay in the 20th century to present.

So what were the details of the loads used? Were they expanding bullets? Do you think all the pathologists today are lying when they report that they cannot detect a difference between them in actual bullet wounds? Did I just imagine that hardball is absolutely DISMAL on living critters when I shot them?

The bison herds weren't wiped out by too many cartridges under 45 caliber; in a world without flatnoses, bores, not meplats, did the killing.
It might surprise you, but modern handgunning essentially tries to replicate 150 year old black powder rifle cartridges.

Is that why were' using soft swaged, roundnose bullets? Or have we actually learned a thing or two in the last 150yrs? If you think bore size is what matters, why are you not using roundnose bullets?

Meplats provide the wound channel; that's your claim, is it not? Bore plays no role. Yes or no is fine.

Meplats create wound channels. What happens behind the meplat is inconsequential. However, I do believe that for a given meplat diameter, assuming a proper nose shape (some bullets are just shaped wrong and penetrate poorly), a larger bullet diameter will create more drag and decrease penetration. In my opinion, this is what makes the .44 a better penetrator.

The 41 can ballistically replicate the 44 easily; throw a bullet of the same S.D. at the same speed.

Sure it can, up to a point. The POINT is that the .41 reaches the threshold before the .44. The 355gr .44 has an SD of .274. There are NO 325gr .41 bullets, which is what would be required to match the 355's SD. As I've said multiple times, the .41 cannot compete at the top end. As I said, there are things happening in the .44/.45 comparison that do not apply to the .41. It just doesn't have the capacity.

Further, if we're going to be looking at SD, then the .44 has a strong advantage over the .45 in that the 355gr has an SD equal to a 400gr .45Colt bullet. Which it can hardly get to 1000fps.

FWIW, the Speer data, at least for the 44, exceeds the CUP and PSI standards of every Hodgdon load listed (at 40,000 CUP). The problem you have is that it was actually fired from a production arm.

"AND I HAVE YET TO ENCOUNTER ANYONE WHO CAN PROVIDE LOAD DATA THAT CONFLICTS WITH MY STATEMENTS. ZERO. ZILCH. NADA."

Speer 12, 13 and 14. 300 grain bullets. 44 @ 40,000 CUP fired from a 7.5 Redhawk, 45 Colt @25,000 CUP fired from a 7.5 inch Blackhawk.
You may not like the bullets (I've actually used the 45 on several deer), and you won't like the data, but there it is.

What's your point? That the two launch the same weight bullet at roughly the same velocity? Ok, so what? How does that conflict with anything I posted. Both cartridges GREATLY exceed that with longer, heavier bullets that do not conform with silly OAL limitations. Sorry but the goal of my testing was to compare TOP loads in both cartridges. Not milquetoast, bullshit old tech jacketed loads. Why would I care about 300gr jacketed bullets at under 1200fps when both cartridges will exceed it with much heavier LBT's? Although I did test the 300gr XTP's for comparison's sake, if you had been paying attention.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Tests show little to no difference so it must be a placebo affect. Both of those round nose FMJs slip through tissues without causing much damage. The 9mm vs 45 Win Mag picture is not comparable because the 45 Win Mag is not only much faster than a .45 ACP (a lot more smack in the clay from a round nose) but also a far more powerful cartridge than 9mm Win Mag (50-80% more power). Whereas the 45 ACP produces about the same energy as a 9mm FMJ (356 vs 333 foot pounds comparing Remington UMC).

[Linked Image]

9mm FMJ:
[Linked Image]

45 FMJ:
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

9mm FMJ:
[Linked Image]

45 FMJ:
[Linked Image]

Last edited by Goosey; 08/29/19.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

[Linked Image]

9mm FMJ:
[Linked Image]

45 FMJ:
[Linked Image]

9mm FMJ:
[Linked Image]

45 FMJ:
[Linked Image]

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J

The buffalo was on the ground after the first two shots. Everything after that was fired after he laid down. Period. End of story. Anyone who says anything different is either lying or misinformed. If you're basing your comments on whatever Richard told you, he wasn't there. So unless you're calling me, Whit, Mark and Jack Huntington all liars, just stop.

Both cartridges peak with 355/360gr bullets. The .44 drives them faster. Neither is particularly useful with ~400gr bullets. So it's YOUR assertion that the .45 magically handles heavier bullets that is laughable. Wishful thinking at its best. Which is pretty much all you have, head buried in sand. Provide data or give it up.

I'm not dodging anything but you are all over the place. You're intermixing different concepts in an effort to win an argument.

I don't know who the "old masters" were but yes, larger and larger projectiles were used to increase terminal effect. Pretty sure I said that. When the .45Colt was born, it used soft swaged bullets so deformation was expected. I'm sorry but we can't go back in time and compare a bunch of 10th hand anecdotal bullshit to what we KNOW today. So let's at least stay in the 20th century to present.

So what were the details of the loads used? Were they expanding bullets? Do you think all the pathologists today are lying when they report that they cannot detect a difference between them in actual bullet wounds? Did I just imagine that hardball is absolutely DISMAL on living critters when I shot them?

Is that why were' using soft swaged, roundnose bullets? Or have we actually learned a thing or two in the last 150yrs? If you think bore size is what matters, why are you not using roundnose bullets?

Meplats create wound channels. What happens behind the meplat is inconsequential. However, I do believe that for a given meplat diameter, assuming a proper nose shape (some bullets are just shaped wrong and penetrate poorly), a larger bullet diameter will create more drag and decrease penetration. In my opinion, this is what makes the .44 a better penetrator.

The 41 can ballistically replicate the 44 easily; throw a bullet of the same S.D. at the same speed.

Sure it can, up to a point. The POINT is that the .41 reaches the threshold before the .44. The 355gr .44 has an SD of .274. There are NO 325gr .41 bullets, which is what would be required to match the 355's SD. As I've said multiple times, the .41 cannot compete at the top end. As I said, there are things happening in the .44/.45 comparison that do not apply to the .41. It just doesn't have the capacity.

Further, if we're going to be looking at SD, then the .44 has a strong advantage over the .45 in that the 355gr has an SD equal to a 400gr .45Colt bullet. Which it can hardly get to 1000fps.

What's your point? That the two launch the same weight bullet at roughly the same velocity? Ok, so what? How does that conflict with anything I posted. Both cartridges GREATLY exceed that with longer, heavier bullets that do not conform with silly OAL limitations. Sorry but the goal of my testing was to compare TOP loads in both cartridges. Not milquetoast, bullshit old tech jacketed loads. Why would I care about 300gr jacketed bullets at under 1200fps when both cartridges will exceed it with much heavier LBT's? Although I did test the 300gr XTP's for comparison's sake, if you had been paying attention.

You are a dammed liar the buffalo ran off after the first 2 shots, you then shot him more times to get him on the ground.Then you finished him with a 500

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
IC B3

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Back to the OP's question:
It seems to me that if you care to load equal platforms "hot" to equal levels of safety with a .44 Magnum or a .45 Colt, and you think there is a significant difference that is important to you, then you likely really need something bigger, and "bigger" means larger diameter, as in .475 or .500.

The best advice you have received is to first pick the handgun you want, and buy it in whatever of the two chamberings it comes in. If you want to load it "balls out", pick a strong platform. If it is available in both chamberings, then consider the ammo situation, and possibly alternate "light" chamberings such as .44 Special or .45 ACP.
If something about the ammo situation is terribly important to you, then it might be worth it to let that dictate handgun choice.
Those are the best reasons to pick one over the other.

Clinging to guns & religion since 1959

Keyboards make people braver than alcohol

Election Integrity is more important than Election Convenience

Washington Post: "Democracy Dies in Darkness"
More correct: "Killing Democracy Faster Than Darkness"
T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T

You are a dammed liar the buffalo ran off after the first 2 shots, you then shot him more times to get him on the ground.Then you finished him with a 500

Actually that was a different animal with different bulllets. I habe the original files since im the one that video’d the hunts for the water buffalo. Someone should find a way to host or post the videos. Its easy to see what happened, for real.

Actually doing something usually changes a persons previously worthless opinion
T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Then we can let everyone make there own decision on what happened.

Actually doing something usually changes a persons previously worthless opinion
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H

My concept is pretty simple. Handgun solids revolve (no pun) around the same concept since the beginning of projectiles; larger diameters non-mechanically create larger wounds

The old masters were those who wiped out the bison, shot unlimited amounts of African and Eurasian fauna; probably more living animals than modern contemporaries shoot jellys and goo. People today still harvest game with bullets, powder and concepts from the 18th and 19th centuries because they work. The old BP 45 Colt load deformed very little; thats 10th hand anectdotal bullshit. The same goes for the BP buffalo rifles. sharpsguy on this forum would be a good person to challenge your flat not knowing anything, at the very least ignoring a lot.

The details are in the written test. Being a factory ammo guy, the ballistics of the 9mm and 45 Win. Mags are out there.

Again, your'e trying to duplicate the results of large bore, black powder rifles, not the other way around. If that pisses you off, who cares? Yes, I do use round nosed bullets. I've actually shot more game with roundnosed projectiles than any flatnosed designs; I don't routinely do so with handguns. What hasn't changed over 150 years is the idea of poking a larger hole to do more damage.

What happens behind the meplat apparently "drags"....or is it inconsequential? Which one is it? What is dragging on?
I own and make most 44 and 45 LBT's from 200 grains all the way to 360; they work on the meplat concept, but Smith's detraction of the Keith shapes doesn't relate to my experiences on animals.

There were no 355gr 44's either. The 41 would be totally capable of kicking the appropriate 325 in the same velocity bracket. Heck, the 357 can with a 200. Again, this is a bore size game and going smaller (even with "20th century" guys like yourself) has some historical limits.

Again, the 45 makes a larger hole. That's the crux.

What's your point? That the two launch the same weight bullet at roughly the same velocity? Ok, so what? How does that conflict with anything I posted. Both cartridges GREATLY exceed that with longer, heavier bullets that do not conform with silly OAL limitations. Sorry but the goal of my testing was to compare TOP loads in both cartridges. Not milquetoast, bullshit old tech jacketed loads. Why would I care about 300gr jacketed bullets at under 1200fps when both cartridges will exceed it with much heavier LBT's? Although I did test the 300gr XTP's for comparison's sake, if you had been paying attention. The point is you asked for conflicting data; the 45 is loaded to 25,000 CUP and the 44 to 40,000, both shot out of actual firearms and the Colt is getting the same velocity, despite being loaded to 40% less pressure. The 44 load is loaded to greater pressure than ANY load in the Hodgdon manual, but it isn't a "TOP" load?. The material of the bullet isn't the point, it's the fact that both were shot out of actual firearms, not cherry picked for your little diatribe. If you really think Hodgdon and it's OAL's are the cat's meow, it must pain you to still see the 44's OAL advantage in the Speer data, which differs considerably from Hodgdon's results. In fact, most other manuals, even ones with cast loads, are closer to the Speer data than Hodgdons. But no matter, this is more ado about bore and frontal area than it is about speed. Most recognized that over 150 years ago....

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
A lot of you guys know more about this than me. That said, it's always a wonderment that: 41 Mag. vs. 44 Mag. = 41 Mag. all good or just as good but...44 Mag. vs. 45 Colt = 45 Colt much better than 44 Mag.

lolol

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
44-40 actually has more case capacity than a 44 Mag. In a Super Blackhawk, there is no problem with bore diameter to contend with so why not long, heavy bullets under larger doses of powder than the 44 Mag, in the 44-40? Especially with brand new cases.

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Ethan,
There's a considerable degree of overlap, no doubt, once handguns get above 40 caliber. The diameters generally don't get appreciably larger like comparing a 30 (32's) to 9mm's, 38's. The 38's to 40's. Going from 41 to 45 is almost at that half caliber mark and the wound diameters reflect that, not that deer sized stuff notices.

That said, handguns work on frontal area and diameter and I believe as the animals get larger, bigger hammers produce quicker results, but I defer to those who have done so.

Yeah, the 44-40 in the right platform would be entirely capable and the 38-40 as well; granted some people might not like them because they are at the 125 plus mark....

Just thinking out load, but I wonder if Craig has used the 45 Colt in the field, the 41. We already know he doesn't use the 38/357 and can't answer why the 38 OWC I posted has a larger meplat than the two 44 bullets posted, was driven 300 fps faster, yet still made a smaller hole than the two "milquetoast" 44 bullets at 1,000 fps..

FWIW, all shots were broadside, so they obviously went clean through.

Last edited by HawkI; 08/30/19.
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
History and cool factor alone were enough for me, I have my Colt SAA stuffed with as much FFFG blackpowder as I can get a 265gr cast lead bullet seated and crimped over, it's still far from a wimp load, will blow a 6 foot flame out the muzzle and twin 2 footers out the sides at dusk! grin

Trump Won!
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C

You made it extremely difficult to do this one line at a time.

What happened with the buffalo herds is irrelevant. We have ZERO critical details. I prefer to stick what we KNOW, rather than assuming anything.

We have a lot more details on what happened in Africa because people wrote about it in detail. However, most of what we have was done with smokeless cartridge rifles and roundnose bullets. Again, not relevant here.

Bullets deformed very little? That is total nonsense. They absolutely deform. If a modern hardcast deforms in bovines, what do you think swaged bullets did in bison? I've had roundball flatten out to the size of a silver dollar, on deer. Peddle that nonsense somewhere else.

Since you can't be bothered with providing more detail about the Keith article, that YOU provided as contrary evidence, specifically the bullets used, where was it published?

If you can't comprehend, understand or recognize the fact that bullets have changed drastically in their construction and terminal effect; if you think a swaged roundnose is the essential the same as a hardcast LBT, I don't know what else to say.

What happens behind the meplat is inconsequential. I'm pretty sure I was clear on that point. I don't consider a minor reduction in penetration to be significant. No more significant than the minor increase in diameter (.005-.015") with the .45Colt. Two of the reasons why I think the difference between the two is a wash.

No 355's? Are you too stupid to read what you're responding to? I've killed game with them and driven them as fast as 1350fps. There are NO .41 bullets that heavy. If there were, they would be too long to reach any meaningful velocity. If you think differently, have a mold made and prove me wrong.

No, the jacketed 300 loads are not "top loads". You can use a fast powder and hit top pressure but be well below potential. It's about more than pressure. It's about performance. I did not cherry-pick and my research here was thorough. Much more thorough than your triggered responses. You have an agenda, I do not. I simply chose the BEST data to explore the potential of these cartridges. Data that correlated with Linebaugh's own data. Not those that fit a pre-determined narrative. Fact is a 300gr at 1180fps is irrelevant when a 355/360gr cast can be driven the same speed.

You're right though, velocity is not as important as frontal area (meplat diameter, not bullet/bore), mass and nose shape. However, the disconnect here is that while the difference in bullet diameter is .023", the difference in meplat diameter among commercial cast bullets is usually much less. In some cases, such as LFN's, it is the same. So is a given .45 bullet really more effective than a given .44 bullet if the meplat is the same? No.

Furthermore, these loads were tested in near-identical guns. Guns of the same barrel length and given the same treatment by the same gunsmith. In fact, at the same time.

[Linked Image]

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C

And you are a bitter, jealous old fool clinging to outdated doctrine.

As I said, we were ALL on EVERY kill. So if I am a damned liar, then so is Whit, Mark and Jack. Richard was not present for any of mine and neither were YOU.

That said, it is not purely hunting. It is a live bullet test. We push them and put as many bullets into each critter as possible while it's heart is still pumping. We do not fire one shot and let it do its job. It would be UTTERLY RETARDED to spend $3000 and only fire one shot when your intent is to test bullets. As I have said and the video will prove, I fired two shots as the buffalo ran past. One in the shoulder and one raking shot into the ribcage (the bloody spot on the far right in the pic) as it ran off. It ran about 100yds and laid down. Once it was down, I shot it several more times. Not because it needed that many to kill it but because we're testing bullets. We could've done like everyone else does, fire one shot and wait 30mins to go find the dead critter but our intent is to TEST BULLETS. If that buffalo was ever shot with a .500, it was after it was graveyard dead. I honestly do not remember what all we shot it with after it was dead.

The 300gr .44 Punch loads destroyed heavy shoulder bones, tore through the heart/lungs and penetrated all the way to the hide on the other side. Jack said he's have no hesitation taking a brain shot on elephant with it. Yet you still cling to this idiotic narrative that the .44 is akin to spitwads but the .45Colt is the Hammer of Thor.

I went ahead and finished processing the video that should settle all foolishness about what really happened. (I've been working on that incessant thing I do with my left thumb)

PS, I know this GoPro footage is not that great but I wanted one continuous stream of video from the first shot to the last so the critics can't suggest that I edited a bunch of stuff out. The 2nd video shows all the follow-up shots in detail.

VIDEO REMOVED BY REQUEST

Last edited by CraigC; 08/31/19.
Page 9 of 10 1 2 7 8 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

546 members (1OntarioJim, 222Sako, 06hunter59, 204guy, 12344mag, 219DW, 66 invisible), 2,416 guests, and 1,230 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,302
Posts18,487,100
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.