Print Thread
Hop To
Page 110 of 117 1 2 108 109 110 111 112 116 117
DBT Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by smokepole
Originally Posted by DBT

It may be an extremely rare event or it may be common, emerging wherever the conditions are right, complex chemistry interaction, energy input , etc....

In other words we (collectively) don't know a lot about it. Yet you seem sure that there is no Creator. I don't agree with Ringman but I fully understand why he makes his arguments for creationism. He's simply affirming his faith.

On the other hand I've often wondered why some argue so vehemently against the existence of a Creator. It's obvious that it can't be "proven" scientifically one way or the other, so the whole argument is pointless.

Seems to me that the argument agaist a Creator is not affirming anything, it's just an attempt to tear down the beliefs of others, to prove to people like Ringman that his faith is misguided.

In other words, a fools errand. Seems to be driven by envy of what others have.

We don't know x, therefore God is a really, really silly argument. A work in progress shouldn't make assumptions. Science examines and tests evidence, forms hypothesis and theories based on this process of discovery and does not say "well, dang, we don't know this, by golly, God must have done it"

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by DBT
Originally Posted by smokepole
Originally Posted by DBT

It may be an extremely rare event or it may be common, emerging wherever the conditions are right, complex chemistry interaction, energy input , etc....

In other words we (collectively) don't know a lot about it. Yet you seem sure that there is no Creator. I don't agree with Ringman but I fully understand why he makes his arguments for creationism. He's simply affirming his faith.

On the other hand I've often wondered why some argue so vehemently against the existence of a Creator. It's obvious that it can't be "proven" scientifically one way or the other, so the whole argument is pointless.

Seems to me that the argument agaist a Creator is not affirming anything, it's just an attempt to tear down the beliefs of others, to prove to people like Ringman that his faith is misguided.

In other words, a fools errand. Seems to be driven by envy of what others have.

We don't know x, therefore God is a really, really silly argument. A work in progress shouldn't make assumptions. Science examines and tests evidence, forms hypothesis and theories based on this process of discovery and does not say "well, dang, we don't know this, by golly, God must have done it"

Yes, as I said, the existence of a Creator can't be proven one way or the other scientifically, so why engage in sceintific arguments about it? Unless of course you're envious, and you want to try and take away what others have..

A wise man is frequently humbled.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Ringman,

Surely you caught these……

Two recently posted “statements of faith” …… no evidence from the fossil record…. no transitional forms…. do not have a clue as to how the first life ever got started…. based on simple observation of “genetic variation” …

How life got started in no way, shape or form negates the fact that life evolves in response to environmental conditions, genetic diversity, mutations, etc....”

Nobody is claiming that life just pops into existence here, there and everywhere. It may be an extremely rare event or it may be common, emerging wherever the conditions are right, complex chemistry interaction, energy input , etc....none of which has a bearing on the fact that there is life on Earth and it does evolve according to environmental conditions, genetic diversity, mutations, etc....”

Gotta have a lot of “faith” to believe without evidence.

Of course, there is this:

“I'm not the one being obtuse. It is you who is trying to impose a meaning to faith that is not applicable. The bible itself defines faith as a belief held without evidence; Faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen - Hebrews. But maybe you just don't understand the definition or significance of faith.”

This statement demonstrates almost complete ignorance of what constitutes biblical faith or the origin of faith.

Can post from a cut and paste and be totally oblivious to the understanding and meaning of what was posted.

Edit to add: Oh, and then there is the origin of the universe. Hawkins and Krauss have been discredited, so they are left only their limited imaginations to explain the origin of the universe. They say.... well, we know it happened and we have "faith" that …...somehow..... it happened but we are sure that God didn't do it.

Last edited by TF49; 08/29/19.

The tax collector said: “Lord Jesus, have mercy on me, a sinner.” Jesus said he went home “justified.”

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by TF49
“....science speaks to....”

When considering LB’s comment, a thought came to mind.....

There is a stage and the grand symphony of life is being played.... majesty....grandeur..... immensity....complexity ..... and the mystery of the unknown... that’s the creation and the world we see....

Man’s science “speaking to it” is like a small young child.... sitting way in the back...away from the stage....beating on a toy drum.

The child can only comprehend the drum.... he only knows that he beats it and it makes noise..... he cannot see nor comprehend nor appreciate the grand symphony.

Man, for all his beating on the drum cannot explain what is happening on the stage..... man cannot create anything.... not even a single cell....

The child somehow does not realize that even the drum he beats has been given to him....he is only fascinated by his own action of hitting the drum and making a noise.

Starting to sound like Gus....? ..... no more lunesta for me

Time for a second cup of coffee.

for a guy that converses with snakes, you got a lot to say for yourself.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by LeroyBeans

There is a stage and the grand symphony of life is being played.... majesty....grandeur..... immensity....complexity ..... and the mystery of the unknown... that’s the creation and the world we see....

Man’s science “speaking to it” is like a small young child.... sitting way in the back...away from the stage....beating on a toy drum.

The child can only comprehend the drum.... he only knows that he beats it and it makes noise..... he cannot see nor comprehend nor appreciate the grand symphony.

Man, for all his beating on the drum cannot explain what is happening on the stage..... man cannot create anything.... not even a single cell....

The child somehow does not realize that even the drum he beats has been given to him....he is only fascinated by his own action of hitting the drum and making a noise.

Gosh, when did I say I conversed with snakes?

The tax collector said: “Lord Jesus, have mercy on me, a sinner.” Jesus said he went home “justified.”

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by bcp
How goats get their spots:

Genesis 30:37-39

https://biblehub.com/genesis/30.htm

That is such a cool story.

My neighbor down the road has a bunch of goats. Perhaps if I go to him and perform some tasks, I can get him to pay me with the spotted ones. Then I, too, can strip some branches of almond and poplar trees and place them where his goats will water and I'll end up with more spotted goats and grow exceedingly prosperous.

By trickery no less.

Geno

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
The evidence against materialism. Interview with neurosurgeon Michael Egnor.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BqHrpBPdtSI

Tarquin
V
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
V
" Unless of course you're envious, and you want to try and take away what others have.."

What exactly do you have that others might want to take away?

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by victoro
" Unless of course you're envious, and you want to try and take away what others have.."

I can't speak for smokepole, but it seems that what others desire to take away is ….truth.... and peace and assurance.

There is at least one avowed atheist on this site that has openly said that his desire is to prevent others from "believing the lie of Christianity." He loves to sow the seeds of doubt. I give the guy a bit of credit.... he openly states why he posts on these Christian topics.After all, this is the internet and it is the campfire, so have at it.

The thief comes to steal and destroy.

Some folks here are more involved in virtue signaling and some sort of juvenile "rah, rah, hooray for our team." They use a lot of rhetoric and few facts.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by LeroyBeans

Gosh, when did I say I conversed with snakes?

Leroy?

IC B3

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by victoro

Why do you think this is about something I have?

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Once again, it's been a while. Science and religion do not conflict. Science is about things we can see and measure. Religion is about things we cannot see and measure. And do not quote scripture to me. I see ithe bible literary work teaching morals, not as a textbook teaching science.

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by IndyCA35
So, we have some astrophysicists who claim, without observational evidence, clouds turn into stars. We have others who are just as educated who disagree. One is based on the unseen faith that things cannot be created in their present condition and the other depends on things we can see and not guess about what happened in the unseen past.

There are no "MOST ABSURD PARTS OF GENESIS" for the Bible believer It is all sober history. You start from an opposite bias as me. We were not there and know no one who was and take our positions on faith: Yours that God is not real and mine is that the God of the Bible is more real than we are.

No.

What an absolute loon you are!

If 10,000 astrophysicists found evidence that gas clouds condense into stars, and the Hubble Space Telescope photographed it (which it has, by the way), and YOU found ONE astrophysicist that fell down the stairs and broke his arm, you would claim that "all astrophysicists have broken arms."

It is not possible to defend Genesis based on anything one can observe anywhere in the universe.

And...do YOU believe in talking snakes???[/quote]

You resort to ad hominin. I'm not surprised.

Your arrogance is exceeded by your naivety. The idea you think you know something about the universe is amazing.

You need to read more carefully the Text you want me to address. I don't believe in talking "snakes", but do believe a snaked deceived Eve. Just as I believe a donkey spoke to Baalam.

The God Who created the snake and the donkey can certainly give them voice if He wants.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Of course the most famous scientific theory of the 20th century and the foundation for nearly everything after is at its most basic form an elaborate mathematical explanation trying to explain away and avoid accepting the most obvious results of one of the most famous scientific experiments of all time.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by Starman
Originally Posted by DBT
.. The bible itself defines faith as a belief held without evidence;

Faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen - Hebrews.

Jesus to Thomas;

John 20:29 (NASB)
Jesus *said to him, “Because you have seen Me, have you believed? Blessed are they who did not see, and yet believed.”

thus reinforcing that 'believing' without having evidence or proof is what 'faith' is truelly about...

https://biblehub.com/commentaries/john/20-29.htm

Skeptics trying to make broad statements from their attempts to interpret a few verses.

Thomas saw the evidence that Jesus deliberately presented and believed. We all are faced with believing evidence on the basis of other verifiable witnesses. Jesus gave others the opportunity to witness His resurrection so their testimony would be the evidence to be considered later for those who would not see Jesus for themselves. I never went to the moon, but I can believe it is possible because others have provided evidence of doing so. The person is a fool who denies all evidence that they have not personally experienced. As Luke records, Jesus resurrection was testified with many infallible proofs.

Faith believes what it cannot see or experience on the basis of evidence--faith is the substance (reality not theory) it is the evidence ( the confidence in the proofs) of things not (personally) seen.

Skepticism never allows a mind to make a sound interpretation of scripture--but honest inquiry can.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by DBT
Originally Posted by Thunderstick
How life started is a different issue to life evolving. Life evolves. How life got started being more difficult to determine. It may be an extremely rare event, just the right conditions must be present, but we don't yet know what these are.

Which does not mean: we don't know this, therefore God.

The evolutionary theory of life cannot evolve unless it can first start. We have found one point of agreement though--and that we both know that evolution is totally useless theory when it come explaining the origins of life because it is a statistical impossibility.

How life got started in no way, shape or form negates the fact that life evolves in response to environmental conditions, genetic diversity, mutations, etc....

You still engage with the fallacy of ''we don't know x, therefore God.''

I argue from the common logic that all design has a designer. Please explain to me in real time when that is not true. Evolution prevents the mind from accepting some of the most basic forms of common sense.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by IndyCA35
Originally Posted by Ringman

Gas clouds form contrary to known gas mechanics of gas. Gas pressure is at least fifty times greater than the gravitational pull on the molecules

Discussing science with you is not very fruitful because you are a functional illiterate on the subject and one has to have a high school education to understand the argument.

For instance, I ask for any evidence, outside of the Bible, that the miracles in Genesis happened. Instead of evidence, you just repeat the assertions and try to refute the overwhelming opinion of science by saying things that indicate you don't understand what you're talking about, or have read from bissed sources.

The above statement is an example.

The "known mechanics of gas" are such that pressure depends on gas density and temperature (duh). Gravitationsl force depends on the mass of the attractor and its distance. (duh). So gravity can easily overcome gas pressuren in many circumstances. How do you think the earth holds onto its air? (duh, duh, duh.) How do you think the sun, which is 100% gas and has a temperature of 6000 degrees Kelvin, keeps from flying apart? (duh, duh, duh, duh.)

I ask again, WHAT SPECIFIC EVIDENCE IS THERE, OUTSIDE OF THE ASSERTIONS IN THE BIBLE, THAT THE MOST ABSURD PARTS OF GENESIS HAPPENED??

And do YOU believe in talking snakes?

The reality of the world that we live in testifies that all intricate design has a designer. A designer designing something is less incredulous than meticulous design spontaneously occurring. Therefore it is more scientific to believe in the Intelligent design of intricate systems than in a random origin. Either way a miracle is required, but a designer is far more scientifically demonstrated. A scientific test cannot be performed with an intelligent design for the test. When we understand that creation is a miracle - it would be obtuse to suppose that a finite mind could properly assess what is absurd on the part of the infinite designer when the finite mind has no to way to evaluate infinite knowledge.

Last edited by Thunderstick; 08/29/19.
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
And...do YOU believe in talking snakes???

It's not about whether you believe in talking snakes, its about whether you believe in spiritual beings that can masquerade for deceit. People still masquerade and deceive today and we still use the expression for that as "being a snake."

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by DBT
How life started is a different issue to life evolving. Life evolves. How life got started being more difficult to determine. It may be an extremely rare event, just the right conditions must be present, but we don't yet know what these are.

Which does not mean: we don't know this, therefore God.

The evolutionary theory of life cannot evolve unless it can first start. We have found one point of agreement though--and that we both know that evolution is totally useless theory when it come explaining the origins of life because it is a statistical impossibility.

How life got started in no way, shape or form negates the fact that life evolves in response to environmental conditions, genetic diversity, mutations, etc....

You still engage with the fallacy of ''we don't know x, therefore God.''

I argue from the common logic that all design has a designer. Please explain to me in real time when that is not true.

Snowflakes.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
The systems of the universe which produce snow or snowflakes are intricate.

Page 110 of 117 1 2 108 109 110 111 112 116 117

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

76 members (41rem, 007FJ, 6mmCreedmoor, 35, 444Matt, 7mm_Loco, 12 invisible), 1,478 guests, and 875 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,370
Posts18,488,311
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.