-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Same brother as the Petersburg caper; we had a pretty exciting week one May on Atlin Lake, in BC. Caught some nice lakers but had to really watch the freshwater wave action, lake is very long N/S and 1-3 miles wide E/W. beautiful country...

GB1

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by 358Norma_fan
I agree Ptarmigan, that lake is no joke. lake Louise is another one that scares me.

And Tusty.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A 20' 90hp river boat with jet ...in cook inlet....wind blowing from the south comming down the bay, meeting a fast tide going the other way ...like driving across a thousand setup 4' or 5' saw horse's....builges running .....weld cracks opening an closing ...only 50% of the boat bottom was wet ...

I work harder than a ugly stripper....
W
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
W
Wear that PFD, have some gear along, "just in case".

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've been blown off Lake Superior twice......I know the feeling.

IC B2

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
In the past I fished offshore in Gulf of Mexico. We had our share of bad weather.

The worst trip was on a day that called for good weather and relatively calm seas. My partner, his 13 year old son, and me were in our 27 foot Boston Whaler powered by a pair of 225 hp Optimax’s. We were about 50 miles offshore and had been dodging thunderstorms and water spouts when a thunderstorm basically formed on top of us. My partner took his son in the cuddy and I drove the boat in to the seas as best as I could. Spent about 45 minutes in 10ft plus steep choppy seas. That was the only time I was worried about sinking in that boat. After the thunderstorm passed a workboat nearby called us on the radio to make certain we were ok. He clocked 50 mph winds. The weather cleared, seas flattened, we caught our fish and went home.

I also spent 12 hours in a 100’ workboat in 25 to 30 ft seas during hurricane Juan back in the 80’s. That is a longer story and was a flat out miserable experience.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Was supposed to do a walleye charter on Lake Erie tomorrow but the captain has cancelled - high winds.

Not too high, for some lakes, but too high for Lake Erie. Fished with him before. He’s a good captain, I trust his judgement.

We’re rebooked for Sept. 15.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
seas are "suppose to be 2ft" sun and monday... planning on going out.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
That's what happened to the British on Lake Erie!!

Even birds know not to land downwind!
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Originally Posted by kid0917
Originally Posted by stxhunter
Originally Posted by wabigoon
Son Jake, and friend made it in last night in NW Ontario for a fishing trip. After two hours of fighting wind, and caught in rocks, and cutting line,
they came in.

Maybe it will be better weather tomorrow.
Ever run bad weather on a sporting trip?

got flipped over coming into packery channel jetties when there was a tropical storm in the bay of campeachie. or how ever you spell that, lost close to 10,000 in rods reels and and tackle.... but we lived by the grace of god.

Rog, I am really glad the Lord had you in the palm of His hand that day

Uh - who sent the storm?

testing....testing....testing. smile

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

IC B3

K
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
K
Blown off the water tonight in the U.P. of Michigan. Found some fish behind an island out of the wind then the wind changed direction and game over. Prop of the bow mount trolling motor was out of the water as much as it was in. I am still rockin and rollin and I've been off the water for 2 and a half hours.

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
This past June my wife and I were floating the Kootenai River in NW Montana. Fly fishing. Towards the end of day two's float a large thunderstorm hit. Was supposed to go north of us. It didn't. Poured rain, nearby lightening strikes, etc. We hustled it down to our take out then sat in the truck for 20 minutes waiting the storm to pass. Looking back it was a great piece of the three day trip.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
makes it interesting , and something to remember.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I've run 15' waves in a 16 footer, ...no fun. The big lake here, Great Slave, can produce 35 footers if the wind is from the south, and the water level on the north side will rise 5 feet!!

A stranger is a friend we haven't met.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Not since this morning, but I'll have to admit, it was the lightning cracking that sealed the deal. I don't do lightning if I can help it, but storms build so quickly this time of year the only way to avoid it is not go.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
We (myself and two friends) had a terribly close call on Rangely Lake in ME a few years ago. We do an annual early spring troll just after ice-out. Decades of it under our belts, and it’s always windy as [bleep], nature of the beast up there. ‘Salmon Chop’ is what you want anyway, not glass. 16 ft Lund tiller. Typically plenty of boat for a smallish lake such as that. Not so. We knew big winds were coming, but figured we could could deal and fish around them to whatever extent. At least get an honest AM fish in before the winds went to 40 gusts In the afternoon. Well, they went to 40 plus gusts around 9:30 or 10 that morning, well ahead of schedule, and we were dead-[bleep] in a cove facing the teeth of it to run run home. Awful. I’ve been in a 35 foot Grady coming out of Nantucket in some seriously stacked waves that [bleep] us up and made me a little nervous, but i’ve Never been afraid for my life as at anytime on that day at rangely.tje waves were 4 ft I would say. We just didn’t have enough boat. It was a blessing we made it back dry.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Mr_Harry
We (myself and two friends) had a terribly close call on Rangely Lake in ME a few years ago. We do an annual early spring troll just after ice-out. Decades of it under our belts, and it’s always windy as [bleep], nature of the beast up there. ‘Salmon Chop’ is what you want anyway, not glass. 16 ft Lund tiller. Typically plenty of boat for a smallish lake such as that. Not so. We knew big winds were coming, but figured we could could deal and fish around them to whatever extent. At least get an honest AM fish in before the winds went to 40 gusts In the afternoon. Well, they went to 40 plus gusts around 9:30 or 10 that morning, well ahead of schedule, and we were dead-[bleep] in a cove facing the teeth of it to run run home. Awful. I’ve been in a 35 foot Grady coming out of Nantucket in some seriously stacked waves that [bleep] us up and made me a little nervous, but i’ve Never been afraid for my life as at anytime on that day at rangely.tje waves were 4 ft I would say. We just didn’t have enough boat. It was a blessing we made it back dry.

A buddy of mine and his family used to own a camp on Moosehead, until the paper company yanked their lease (or priced them out of it). We used to do a lot of spring trolling out there. I can remember more than one sketchy crossing from Farm Island back over to the camp taking water over the bow. I do miss spring trolling for LL salmon!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I was out with a guide on Saginaw Bay last year with my two girls. Girls got sick. Guide turned green. I was fine but we turned back after the guide asked me if I was sure I felt ok for the 17th time, girls had had enough too.

RAS Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by kid0917
I spent 6 years in Kodiak, a lot of it outdoors. Learned this much, there is no such thing as bad weather ... only bad rain gear. smile

This.

20 years in Marine Corps my a lot about gear in field.

"...aspire to live quietly, and to mind your own affairs, and to work with your hands, as we instructed you, so that you may walk properly before outsiders and be dependent on no one." - Paul to the church in Thessalonica.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I’d prefer to get blown on the lake.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

84 members (308ld, Anaconda, 35, BamBam, AnthonyB, 10 invisible), 1,892 guests, and 824 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,387
Posts18,469,740
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.