Print Thread
Hop To
Page 113 of 117 1 2 111 112 113 114 115 116 117
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by Starman
Well its right there in the BIble, how many instances are there where a guest got invited to a feast
and got thrown out by the King that had him invited?

Originally Posted by TF49
I suspect you will have to do a cut and paste, but go ahead.....

You want to know the verse , but get annoyed if I cut and paste it directly word-for-word from Bible.

How many instances? I suspect zero, but you go ahead, find it, post it and then explain it.....

Explain who got invited....who.... that is important to understanding what is being taught....then explain the guest got “thrown out” part.

Before you attempt this, it might help to review and understand what a parable is and why it is used.....,also you might think about what a metaphor is.

So, what is it going to be? Back up what you say or continue to bob and weave and dodge?

Last edited by TF49; 08/29/19.

The tax collector said: “Lord Jesus, have mercy on me, a sinner.” Jesus said he went home “justified.”

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

How many instances? I suspect zero,

so you have decided its zero instances.

Explain who got invited....who....

You want to know about a person from an instance that you suspect didn't happen.

well in the Bible be it myth or otherwise, the account I mentioned did happen.

You post without thinking and without understanding.

Who has the most understanding on the CF..?..do you pump your ego and elect yourself?

-Bulletproof and Waterproof don't mean Idiotproof.
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T

How many instances? I suspect zero,

so you have decided its zero instances.

Well, we both know you don’t know what your talking about. I know the passage and verses you are referring to.... well, I think I know what you are referring to but that may be a bad assumption given the lack of clarity here.

Here’s the thing.....you implied that a person was invited to a feast.... and the got thrown out of the feast ... and apparently condemned.

That is not what the passage teaches.

The theological implication is that God invited.... a person came... was found unworthy and then got tossed out. You may not realize it, but it is kinda like a person was invited in by God....then judged unworthy.....judged AFTER.....and then thrown out. Implies that God was pulling a fast one....also implies the insufficiency of Jesus’ death.

This is just flat out wrong teaching. Wrong interpretation of the passage and verses.

Now, I know that this may be beyond your understanding and you may continue to believe whatever and go wherever your understanding leads you..... but don’t go saying the Bible teaches something when it does not.

Anyway..... go on....live your life and do what you do....

Last edited by TF49; 08/29/19.

The tax collector said: “Lord Jesus, have mercy on me, a sinner.” Jesus said he went home “justified.”

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
[

I was , but you felt the need to interfere.

What happened to your pledge not to read or respond to my posts?

you feel compelled to impose your understanding on people.

meddling self appointed middlemen christians abound.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
[

I was , but you felt the need to interfere.

What happened to your pledge not to read or respond to my posts?

you feel compelled to impose your understanding on people.

meddling self appointed middlemen christians abound.

Yes, I admit that I was backslidden and rededicate my pledge to refrain from responding to your inane postings.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

The theological implication is that God invited.... a person came... was found unworthy and then got tossed out. You may not realize it,
but it is kinda like a person was invited in by God....then judged unworthy.....judged AFTER.....and then thrown out.
Implies that God was pulling a fast one....

I made no such claim that God was pulling a 'fast one' ..but I can't stop you choosing to read into things that way...
and an 'all knowing' God would not be shocked and surprised that an unworthy guest came, for he would know
well in advance such would arrive and He could easily have prevent him from entering where he did not belong,..,
rather than waiting and abruptly throwing him out after the fact.....
Discretely screening your guests at the door makes sense and saves creating such an avoidable scene.

but we all know that myth gets more mileage with captive readers if you include hype and drama.

The story simply defies how a royal court or all wise God with sensible protocols would do things.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper
Originally Posted by smokepole

I see lots of prayer requests on The Fire. What I don't see is evidence they improve outcomes for the prayer recipient.

Do you believe that the prayer requestors owe you some kind of evidence on the outcome?

What an interestingly defensive response?

I was just making an observation about a data point.

A "data point?" What if all the prayer requestors want is to know that others are thinking about them, and praying for them. Who are you to demand "results" from them??

A wise man is frequently humbled.

DBT Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Don't those who pray to God believe that God answers prayers?

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by LeroyBeans
Originally Posted by Thunderstick
The systems of the universe which produce snow or snowflakes are intricate.

So? There is design with a designer. Just water doing its thing.

The question for you is ... what is the origin of water, clouds, and cold seasons?

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by DBT
Originally Posted by DBT
How life started is a different issue to life evolving. Life evolves. How life got started being more difficult to determine. It may be an extremely rare event, just the right conditions must be present, but we don't yet know what these are.

Which does not mean: we don't know this, therefore God.

The evolutionary theory of life cannot evolve unless it can first start. We have found one point of agreement though--and that we both know that evolution is totally useless theory when it come explaining the origins of life because it is a statistical impossibility.

How life got started in no way, shape or form negates the fact that life evolves in response to environmental conditions, genetic diversity, mutations, etc....

You still engage with the fallacy of ''we don't know x, therefore God.''

I argue from the common logic that all design has a designer. Please explain to me in real time when that is not true. Evolution prevents the mind from accepting some of the most basic forms of common sense.

That which has evolved is not designed. The initial assumption of design is false, which effects everything that follows.

and why would that which we observe in adaptation and variation not be by design?

Last edited by Thunderstick; 08/30/19.
IC B3

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by DBT
Originally Posted by victoro
" Unless of course you're envious, and you want to try and take away what others have.."

What exactly do you have that others might want to take away?

I can't speak for smokepole, but it seems that what others desire to take away is ….truth.... and peace and assurance.

There is at least one avowed atheist on this site that has openly said that his desire is to prevent others from "believing the lie of Christianity." He loves to sow the seeds of doubt. I give the guy a bit of credit.... he openly states why he posts on these Christian topics.After all, this is the internet and it is the campfire, so have at it.

The thief comes to steal and destroy.

Some folks here are more involved in virtue signaling and some sort of juvenile "rah, rah, hooray for our team." They use a lot of rhetoric and few facts.

Your beliefs are your own business and if they bring you joy and comfort and harm no one, enjoy, nobody can take that away from you. But when faith/belief is made public, claimed to be truth, then naturally it is going to be questioned by those who don't see things that way, including other theists who hold different beliefs.

Well,of course.... your comment does not address the issue that victoro inquired about.

Btw.... Leroy, are you there?

Leroy prefers to ask questions or make scathing remarks, he prefers not to engage in a substantive exchange.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by smokepole

I see lots of prayer requests on The Fire. What I don't see is evidence they improve outcomes for the prayer recipient.

Do you believe that the prayer requestors owe you some kind of evidence on the outcome?

What an interestingly defensive response?

I was just making an observation about a data point.

I can certainly share a response on this point. I went to the hospital a few months ago with a bad case of c-diff. I shared that with a few here. A lot of people were praying. A week later I went back to work. When I reported back to my family doctor she assumed I could not yet be working with an iron count that was still significantly off the charts low from blood loss. How can you even function without a severe headache or dizziness? I said I feel quite well in spite of the fact that I medically should not be.

So you asked for a response and I gave it. God does not always choose to answer prayers as we see fit. But I have a number of examples in my life where a medical diagnosis was one thing and reality was something for which the doctors just shook their heads. Generally I have been blessed with very good health but I had a few serious medical events in my life. I will share another.

"We have diagnosed you with a very serious and rare heart valve (sporadic) blockage that needs removed by a special operation." What are the chances of error in this diagnosis, I asked?" None, I know what I am seeing on the echo report, but I want another look on Monday to know where to refer you for surgery.You have a growth on a leash like an old sink stopper that occasionally plugs the valve and sends you into palpitations--fortunately so far it eventually releases and then floats again. Should it never release it will quickly become life threatening and likely fatal. My children come in and I talk to them, as possibly this is the last time for that, since I am living on borrowed time till the operation. This is quite an experience when your children are young. I am at peace in God's hands, but of course I am concerned for my family. Many prayers are offered all over the country. We have a prayer and anointing service in the interim. Saturday I feel terrible until evening and then I sense an immediate turn around. Sunday I sense that I am healed. Monday they cannot find a trace of anything with the scope. The doctor does not even want to talk to me, but discharges me remotely. I refuse to leave the room till he comes and talks. He tries all forms of back peddling to explain that he only thought he saw something--I remind him of what he said that there was no chance of a wrong diagnosis because the growth is very evident. I asked why I could not go home over the weekend if the diagnosis was merely a suspicion. He said, when you came in we almost lost you and we could not allow you to go home. I said now I am being discharged and what did you treat me for? He said nothing proactively. So why am I leaving now when I had a serious event when I arrived and now nothing is being done? Because we can't find anything wrong with you and could not advise any treatment.

So to clarify doc--I came here with a serious condition.I passed out in the ER and was brought back.I had heart palpitations that were observed. I had an echo that showed a mass. I was told I had a very rare heart situation. I was re examined Monday with a scope which found nothing. I am now leaving with a clean bill of health with no medical treatment or procedure. How do you explain this doc? I don't really know. OK sir then I will tell you--the only thing that occurred between those those diagnosis was prayer and divine intervention. Well I'm glad you are better and can be discharged. Yes so am I, and one more time doc--you are confirming that you did not treat me and you have no further treatment to suggest. Yes that is correct and I really need to leave right now.
The nurse looks at me says--I'm with you -- I know what happened.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Fact is one need not literally interpret the Book to find value or comfort in prayer. Thank God.

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
I
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I
Heven't heard from Ringman for several pages so I'll stop beating him up.

Ringman has the type of faith that, if there was evidence the sky was blue, and Genesis said it was red, he would refuse to look at it. His faith makes him ignore all the evidence for evolution and all the evidence that whoever wrote Genesis, they had very little to do with God or reality. There are worse things to have than that kind of faith.

For the record I believe in the basics of Christianity, and that religion is necessary for society to be anything but a bunch of greedy people immersed in moral relativism.

As for prayer, Jesus taught us how to pray. (Did you ever hear of the Lord's Prayer?) All these prayers (people post "prayers sent") for someone to get well, etc., are NOT what the Lord's Prayer says. It says "thy will be done."

And I don't think such prayers work. True, you can find cases where, coincidentally, someone prays and someone gets well. But for at least 500 years, every public event in England has been preceded by a prayer for the health and long lives of the royal family. Yet they don't live any longer than otherwise. People should pray for "thy will be done" instead of any specific outcome.

And "thy kingdom come?" Many people think that means the end of time and that someone is going to come down from the clouds and banish everyone to hell. Rubbish. Jesus was quite explicit in saying that the kingdom of God is within us. It hasn't come yet. Pray that it does.

As for hell, I don't believe in the concept of hell that some Christians have. It was basically thought up in the Dsrk Ages to scare ignorant peasants into subsidizing the drunkenness and adultery of oligarchs like the Borgia Popes.

Our current Bible was basically thought up by a bunch of medieval bishops around 300 AD, not by Jesus or even Paul. They included some writings and threw out others, including several "gospels." Were they divinely inspired? Why would we think so? I believe Christianity would be a lot more attractive if we threw out some of the more egregious absurdities of the Old Testament as well as the scary monster stuff in Revelation.

Don't blame me. I voted for Trump.

Democrats would burn this country to the ground, if they could rule over the ashes.
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
All of our prayers should have a balance of being honest communication that is yielding to the sovereign will of God. I never gave into all the requests of my children, and sometimes denying them was for their own good; but they also needed to know that they could come and talk about anything ... and sometimes they did get what they wanted ... if they did not demand it ... if they could benefit from it. They knew I enjoyed giving what I felt would be for their good and that is why they came and asked. Those conversations built trusting relationships and character in my children. This is the analogy given in scripture for prayer.

DBT Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

and why would that which we observe in adaptation and variation not be by design?

Because it either succeeds or not depending on the genetic makeup of the organism. Most die. The world is littered with the remains/fossils of extinct species. If that is an example of intelligent design, the Architect is not qualified. The claim of design was put to the test but failed for reasons that are easily accessed and need no repeating.

Last edited by DBT; 08/30/19.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
All of our prayers should have a balance of being honest communication that is yielding to the sovereign will of God. I never gave into all the requests of my children, and sometimes denying them was for their own good; but they also needed to know that they could come and talk about anything ... and sometimes they did get what they wanted ... if they did not demand it ... if they could benefit from it. They knew I enjoyed giving what I felt would be for their good and that is why they came and asked. Those conversations built trusting relationships and character in my children. This is the analogy given in scripture for prayer.

My long ago prayer for the life of my little grandson would have been for his own good. Didn't happen.

Leo of the Land of Dyr

NRA FOR LIFE

I MISS SARAH

“In Trump We Trust.” Right????

SOMEBODY please tell TRH that Netanyahu NEVER said "Once we squeeze all we can out of the United States, it can dry up and blow away."

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by IndyCA35

As for prayer, Jesus taught us how to pray. (Did you ever hear of the Lord's Prayer?) All these prayers (people post "prayers sent")
for someone to get well, etc., are NOT what the Lord's Prayer says. It says "thy will be done."

“This is the confidence we have in approaching God: that if we ask anything according to his will, he hears us” (1 John 5:14).

cAn prayer ignite powder in a Glock if you pull on a dud primer? or cause a perps gun to miraculously fail?

WHAT did the Irish Catholic say when their journey was slowed cause 3 of the 4 Jet engines had quit on the B747...?
" I pray the 4th don't go otherwise we will be stuck up here all night'

Originally Posted by BOWSINGER

My long ago prayer for the life of my little grandson would have been for his own good. Didn't happen.

many a graveyard headstone says stuff like; ..'resting in eternal bliss with God and the angels', etc

then some God fearing living folk say; ' take comfort they have gone to a better place'...

yet rarely would they be willing to trade places with the dead.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
As noted prayer also is yielding to God's sovereign will. Right now my young nephew has a little boy released from the NICU whose life is still hanging in the balance of uncertainty. The prayer of the parents is that God's will be done. Their faith does not guarantee a miracle but they know it can happen. Whether we have faith in God or not, it will not always change whether or not certain events will transpire. But for those who live by faith .... good can still come out of tragedy.
The death of Christ could be considered a tragedy of death for an innocent man who dared to challenge the religious establishment. But His life and death brought hope to many others who suffer tragedy.
Even tragedy when yielded to sovereignty can have purpose. Tragedy without yielding to sovereignty is tragedy and meaninglessness.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by BOWSINGER

Bowsinger,

I “babysat” a couple of grandkids last night. Great fun. And I did think about what it might be like to lose one... or my own child.... I cannot imagine the emotional torment and grief that would come with that. My heartfelt condolences to you.

There are troubles and times of grief that come into this world. I had a time like that when my wife of 38 years passed away from cancer. It was a terrible time for her. She was ill for almost three years. Yes, many prayers from friends, family, church members and from folks we didn’t know. The prayers were for healing but also for strength as we went through this time. She was not healed but, after about two years of struggle, she had peace with the Lord and later went home in true victory.

I did not share her peace.. I struggled the entire time. I had a true “sovereignty of God” issue. But, when I was greatly confused, troubled and disappointed with all that was going on.....God spoke to my mind.... it was very clear, spoke with authority.... spoke with finality and spoke with love...and spoke without providing an explanation......He told me, and these are the exact words....”I want her in heaven with me.”

I was stricken with two emotions at the same time... grief and joy.... grief that I suddenly knew, without a doubt that radiation and chemo were not going to save her life.... but joy....joy of knowing that God was in on it, He was there.... He knew.... He knew her and He was going to take her to be with him. There was also a kind peace about it...I knew God was with us and while I did not nor had not wanted any of this struggle ...... somehow .....God’s hand was there and His purpose were being fulfilled.

May God bless....

Last edited by TF49; 08/31/19. Reason: Spel

Page 113 of 117 1 2 111 112 113 114 115 116 117

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

505 members (219DW, 1936M71, 1badf350, 222Sako, 1234, 2500HD, 49 invisible), 2,439 guests, and 1,237 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,438
Posts18,489,412
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.