Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
K
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
K
Just got one. Never had one before and have no idea where to start with powders or loads.

Please share your petloads. Thinking of either 85 gr TSX or 100 gr Partitions.

Thanks in advance.

HR IC

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
You could try 4350 for a first powder. Should work well with bullets from 75 to 100 grains. Dont' think it really matters whether it is IMR, H or Accurate Arms, as they are very close to each other in burning rate. Other reasonable options would be Reloder 22, Vihtavuori N-160 or N-165, 4831 (H or IMR), or Accurate 3100. If you opt for lighter weight bullets, you could also consider trying IMR-4064, Varget, Reloder 15 or H-414 as well as many others.

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Kilzone,

The Rem 6mm has been my "go to" deer rifle since the late 50's.

I use to use the Partitons, but when Barnes brought the X's out, that's the only bullet I now use.

I use R-19 or H-4831 with the 85 gr. XLC ( now discontinutted, but you can still get from Barnes) , or the 85 TSX.

The X's are very accurate in my rifle, & the deer, bang , flop.

Gene
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I've had good luck with 44grs of RL19 under 95gr Nosler ballistic tips. They're running 2800 fps out of my Ruger M77.

"An open message for all Democrats; "Look you are nothing and your work is worthless. Anyone who chooses you is detestable."
Isaiah 41:24 (HCSB)

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
One might get a little more valid information if the readers know what you are loading for. I do different things for a Rem 600 with an 18.5 inch barrel than I would for another rig packing a 28 inch tube. A great cartridge though. 1Minute

Last edited by 1minute; 04/30/07.

1Minute
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My REM 600 in 6mm is the ONLY one I don't shoot with handloads. I tried IMR4350, IMR4831, RL19 with Horn 100gr SPs, 100gr Nos Parts and Sierra SPs but the plain jane Remington green box w 100gr Corelokts are faster AND more accurate. Give them a try and you'll have some brass if you decide to handload. I do load Sierra 75HPs for practice/varmints though. The groundhogs don't stand a chance!

RH

V
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
V
With that weight bullet start with 38 gr of the following Powders with Fed GM210M primers WW or RP Brass.

Varget, IMR 4320, IMR 4064, IMR 4895, * BLC2, * H380

Don't know why, but My Ruger M77 shot all those powders well @ 38 grains and a sierra 85 gr spitzer.

* use 215 primers with ball powder

Good luck and always check published data first.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have a Ruger #1 in 6mm. Its deadly accurate with factory remingtons.

I didn't understand a word you said, but whatever it was I'm right there with you.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have had very good results with 100 grain Sierras and H4831/H4831SC. Best accuracy was right around Sierra's maximum of 46.2 grains. I didn't have much time to work up a load for the 85 grain TSX last year so I started with H4831SC. Results were good, filled the freezer, but I think H4831 may be too slow for best results. I e-mailed Barnes for loading data last fall. The reply stated that they were still working up data and recommended 38.0 grains of Varget (which wasn't on my shelf, H4831SC was).

------ edit, for 1minute who makes a good point

This is out of a Waffen-Frankonia which is a good grade, nothing fancy, commercial Mauser action with a 24 inch barrel.

Last edited by nighthawk; 04/30/07. Reason: 1minute

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Himmelrr: I load for a 600 Rem 6mm too. Not at home right now and don't have the records, but it does wonders with 85 grain pills and IMR 4320. 4350 seemed a bit slow, but would likely work with a longer barrel. Really loud with the short barrel and gets some attention from nearby benches when we light it off at the range. The wife favors it for deer and pronghorn cause it's flatter to 400 yds than her 270. I still take it ocassionally as a back up on extended trips. A lot handier and lighter to carry than some of my other calibers. It was my first ever new in box rifle back in 1963, and indeed, cut its teeth on Virginia woodchucks (cost $99.95 at Clark Bros. near Warrenton Va). That forced the retirement of an ($18.00) Army/Navy store 303 Enfield. It has literally been around the world, and I had Remington rebarrel it back about 15 years ago when groups suddenly went to hell. They must have screwed something up in the process, because the only original piece of metal I got back was the bolt. Everything else was new. Wonderful trigger that's at about 2.5 lbs with no travel. Dandy little rifle that I will never part with. It's still stock and looking good, but I am thinking of adding some bottom metal. Thanks for bringing fond memories to the surface. 1Minute

1Minute
IC B3

POP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
ruger #1B 6mm
26" bbl
100 gr SPBT Hornady
48gr RL 22
3248 fps and 1.25-1.5" at 300 yards consistantly.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

K
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
K
Originally Posted by 1minute
One might get a little more valid information if the readers know what you are loading for. I do different things for a Rem 600 with an 18.5 inch barrel than I would for another rig packing a 28 inch tube. A great cartridge though. 1Minute

Good point 1minute, my bad.

Rifle is a Ruger M77 22" barrel.

Thanks all for loads so far.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I have rebarreled a long action Rem 700 in 6mm Rem..use a one in 7 twist PacNor Barrel on it..
The long action, makes it into a 240 Weatherby for all practical tense and purposes...

I primarily love two loads in this rifle...
One.. 475. grains of H 414, with a 75 grain HP Hornady... with an MV of 3650 to 3700 fps...

The second is a long distance load, and I haven't tried it on deer, but the way Berger is advertising, I want to try it...
46 grains of RL 19, with a 115 grain Berger Match bullet.. MV is 3250 fps..
Both are long range hitters.. and super accurate in this rifle..
NOW all it needs is to have that finicky trigger adjusted just right...

I also have a Model 98 Mauser with a 31 inch bull barrel on it, chambered in the same, with the same twist.. however, I still have to finish the stock for it...it has a Richards Microfit Bench Rest Stock for that one...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
How long is the bbl on that rifle? I just checked and a buddy was getting 3150fps out of a 27.5 in tube with 47gr RL 19... But he was shooting a 90 Gr bullet.. Sounds a lot "hot" to me..

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yes, 3250 fps with a 115 grain bullet does sound too hot.

Years ago I worked up to 3240 fps with 100 grain Sierras and H4831. None of those traditional pressure signs but WELL over max load. Between then and now I learned that wasn't such a good idea and backed down to 3100 fps to maintain a good safety margin between actual pressure and kablooey. Still a little hot, a grain over max, but that's where best accuracy happened. Looking at my notes the way hot loads were about as accurate.

Was with that Frankonia with the 24 inch barrel.

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
M
M
I've never had a 6mm Rem but i have a good friend and thats all he deer hunts with and he's killed countless deer with it. He handloads for it and i don't know what his load is but i do know for a fact that he loads the 100gr Nosler Partition. I've seen the groups he shoots and the deer he kills and if i ever did buy a 6mm the 100gr partition would without a doubt be my bullet of choice for that caliber.

Having said that, i also have a good friend who deer hunts with a 243 and he uses the Sierra 100gr Pro Hunter and RL19 with very good results. He too kills alot of deer and i've never heard him complain not once about the bullet not doing the job so that would probably be my second choice.

Life's Tough....God's Good....Pray Hard!
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by 721_tomahawk
How long is the bbl on that rifle? I just checked and a buddy was getting 3150fps out of a 27.5 in tube with 47gr RL 19... But he was shooting a 90 Gr bullet.. Sounds a lot "hot" to me..

Its a 24 inch barrel... but remember this is on a long action and is seated to magazine length...so this has a very long OAL.. with the bullet not seated very deep..

But I am just fine with it, as I have gotten 10 reloadings out of cases in this rifle..I have no pressure testing equipment so It may be hot, or may not be...but If I can get 10 reloads out of a case, without the primer pocket loosening up... then I am a happy camper...

Its also a very accurate load...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
There have been a lot of threads on the "Ask the Gunwriters" page on pressure and max and max-plus loads by people who really know what they are talking about. You may want to peruse them. One of the latest is Pressure Measurement via Waters' Method]

I'm not trying to be a smartazz or know-it-all here, and forgive me if you've already considered this stuff. But there's a lot of good info there by the real experts.

Here's a quote from Ken Ohler which pretty much captures what I mean to convey ( Beyond Maximum Pressure):

Quote:
One question Ken and Dr. Oehler, do you guys think that these really high pressures generated by handloaders are reserved for those guys that go beyond load data in pursuit of additional velocity? Or do you think that this also applies to those of us who are plugging along within the designated boundaries?

My opinion is that pressures in the 70 -75 Kpsi range can be generated either operating within published loads with a very "tight" barrel, or operating slightly outside published loads with a "normal" barrel. We've fitted strain gages to many barrels in which the user has already worked up loads with the conservative method of increasing charge until he sees "pressure signs" and then backing off a little bit. These load/gun combos usually indicate in the 70-75K psi range or approximately midway beetween "max average pressure" and "proof pressure".

We've seen sufficient variation between individual barrels to realize that just staying within loading manual ranges is not an absolute guarantee of modest pressure.

Operating in the 70-75Kpsi range may be relatively safe, but you must recognize that you've removed a significant part of the safety margin put into place by the manufacturer. A minor change of components could easily bump the pressure well into the proof range."

Maybe it would be a good idea to phone/e-mail Berger Bullets and see what they think? By all reports they are pleasant to deal with and very helpful. Berger Bullets

Another quote from Ken Oehler: "Years ago, Ed Herring of Remington and I were in a deep technical discussion (bull session) and observed the truism that "Each handloader's individual pressure maximum is diminished at the rate of 1K psi per year of experience." Hate to admit it, but I'm not too far from the old phart stage(!).

Which explains a lot.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

354 members (1beaver_shooter, 264mag, 160user, 21, 17CalFan, 2500HD, 35 invisible), 17,039 guests, and 1,057 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,881
Posts18,538,370
Members74,050
Most Online20,796
04:44 PM

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.