Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 114 of 117 1 2 112 113 114 115 116 117
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Everybody dies. And whether you measure against a Christian eternity or a Darwinistic span of billions of years, the longest life is but a puff of smoke. Of that, there can be no debate. But there is only one hope for seeing those loved ones again.

Last edited by JoeBob; 08/31/19.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by JoeBob
Everybody dies. And whether you measure against a Christian eternity or a Darwinistic span of billions of years, the longest life is but a puff of smoke. Of that, there can be no debate. But there is only one hope for seeing those loved ones again.

What is life? It is the flash of a firefly in the night. It is the breath of a buffalo in the wintertime. It is the little shadow which runs across the grass and loses itself in the sunset. Crowfoot

Leo of the Land of Dyr

NRA FOR LIFE

I MISS SARAH

“In Trump We Trust.” Right????

SOMEBODY please tell TRH that Netanyahu NEVER said "Once we squeeze all we can out of the United States, it can dry up and blow away."

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A

Hope is irrelevant to truth.

Last edited by antelope_sniper; 08/31/19.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
G
Gus Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper

hope dwells eternal.

at least that's what my grandmom always said.

it's almost as if ideology possesses humans as carriers.

others might add that bacteria also possesses humans as carriers.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T

True hope as defined by the Bible is a confident anticipation of the fulfillment of a promise.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by BOWSINGER

What is life? It is the flash of a firefly in the night. It is the breath of a buffalo in the wintertime.
It is the little shadow which runs across the grass and loses itself in the sunset. - Crowfoot

Day or Night do not really disappear; its always day or night somewhere ..
When whirlpools fade the ocean is still producing them elsewhere...life goes on. [subject to how one views it]

-Bulletproof and Waterproof don't mean Idiotproof.
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O

It is not irrelevant to life. Why such an unmitigated need to destroy it? To knowingly and purposelessly destroy it is evil. What virtue is there in being a missionary of despair and nihilism when you have no better truth? To pursue such endeavors, IMO bespeaks deep personal issues. just sayin.

https://postimg.cc/xXjW1cqx/81efa4c5

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Soli Deo Gloria

democrats ARE the plague.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Everybody dies. .... But there is only one hope for seeing those loved ones again.

I thought getting to heaven was all about/for glorifying God not meeting up with family.

what relevance do family have when in the house and presence of God?

lets face it , one could meet some new face others in heaven that you like more.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Starman

What is life? It is the flash of a firefly in the night. It is the breath of a buffalo in the wintertime.
It is the little shadow which runs across the grass and loses itself in the sunset. - Crowfoot

Day or Night do not really disappear; its always day or night somewhere ..
When whirlpools fade the ocean is still producing them elsewhere...life goes on. [subject to how one views it]

This is why men like Crowfoot and Black Elk knew the Circle was Sacred.

Black Elk Speaks (1961)Our tepees were round like the nests of birds, and these were always set in a circle, the nation's hoop.
If the vision was true and mighty, as I know, it is true and mighty yet; for such things are of the spirit, and it is in the darkness of their eyes that men get lost.

Last edited by BOWSINGER; 08/31/19.

Leo of the Land of Dyr

NRA FOR LIFE

I MISS SARAH

“In Trump We Trust.” Right????

SOMEBODY please tell TRH that Netanyahu NEVER said "Once we squeeze all we can out of the United States, it can dry up and blow away."

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by oldtrapper

It is not irrelevant to life. Why such an unmitigated need to destroy it? To knowingly and purposelessly destroy it is evil. What virtue is there in being a missionary of despair and nihilism when you have no better truth? To pursue such endeavors, IMO bespeaks deep personal issues. just sayin.

In trading we say "Hope is not a strategy". Hoping a stock is going to go up, doesn't make it go up. It's going to do what it's going to do and the best thing you can do is make your decisions based upon the best data available. Unrealistic hopes are seldom helpful and can lead to some bad places. Accepting that we have a finite life and working to live THIS life to its' best and fullest is not nihilism and despair but an appreciation for what we have here and now, and not suffering the paradise lost of a paradise that does not exist.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

IC B3

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M

In trading we say "Hope is not a strategy". Hoping a stock is going to go up, doesn't make it go up. It's going to do what it's going to do and the best thing you can do is make your decisions based upon the best data available. Unrealistic hopes are seldom helpful and can lead to some bad places. Accepting that we have a finite life and working to live THIS life to its' best and fullest is not nihilism and despair but an appreciation for what we have here and now, and not suffering the paradise lost of a paradise that does not exist.

That's good - I like that. (Did you make that up or "borrow" it from somewhere?)

I think religion started off with the same intention but somehow stories had to be told to get people to listen, and it just turned into what it is today.

You only live once has been my mantra, but not to the point of wanting to experience death defying adrenalin stunts of course.

Religion is hope and can help you through dire situations but it's kinda a last desperate resort. The were Australian prisoners of war who worked on the railways for the Japanese, and one of them said he kept going (mentally and physically) thanks to a hope of returning home to see his family, and imagining that every time he went to sleep. Kept him sane and maybe even kept him alive I guess.

Last edited by mauserand9mm; 09/01/19.

Originally Posted by mauserand9mm
Originally Posted by mauserand9mm
Originally Posted by Raspy
Whatever you said...everyone knows you are a lying jerk.

That's a bold assertion. Point out where you think I lied.

Well?
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T

True hope as defined by the Bible is a confident anticipation of the fulfillment of a promise.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
God has demonstrated time and again that His prophetic promises come true. On that basis our hope is not a mere happy thought but a joyful expectation that lives in the present and looks to the future.

Science cannot offer us anything authoritative regarding our origins because it cannot repeatedly test spontaneous generation. Science cannot predict our future because it has no reliable data for that.

Looking far into the past or into the future with science will only show it's inadequacy to provide those answers. We look with faith, not a blind one, but one that sees all the promises kept to the prophets. We also see lives that have been radically changed by faith in Christ. I have known drunks and crackheads changed by Christ without going through any rehab programs. I'm not saying those programs are not necessary at times but I have seen when they were not. We are not merely talking about a mind change but a heart change...a metamorphosis of a new person.
This is real evidence of a hope that is assured.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by Thunderstick

Exactly.

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
God has demonstrated time and again that His prophetic promises come true. On that basis our hope is not a mere happy thought but a joyful expectation that lives in the present and looks to the future.

Science cannot offer us anything authoritative regarding our origins because it cannot repeatedly test spontaneous generation. Science cannot predict our future because it has no reliable data for that.

Looking far into the past or into the future with science will only show it's inadequacy to provide those answers. We look with faith, not a blind one, but one that sees all the promises kept to the prophets. We also see lives that have been radically changed by faith in Christ. I have known drunks and crackheads changed by Christ without going through any rehab programs. I'm not saying those programs are not necessary at times but I have seen when they were not. We are not merely talking about a mind change but a heart change...a metamorphosis of a new person.

Scientist are much better about admitting there are things we don't know. Substituting your God, or any other mythical or supernatural answer is not really an answer.

As for your assertion that no one's ever kicked any addiction without Christ demonstrates your parochial view of the world.

Are you really so arrogant to think no non-Christian has ever kicked a habit? "Twelve Step" program generally have a very generous definition of "higher power". What they really mean by this is have a purpose beyond yourself. This purpose is not limited to Christianity, can be Buddhism, Hinduism, Shintoism, or Americanism, a strong belief in our constitution. It can even be Marxism, because, as we know, plenty of commie Marxist are true believers. Or this purpose can be as simple as one's family.

What's not included is Nihilism. It's also a common symptom of the mass shooters who just want the world to burn.

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A

As for prophesies, there are those who claim Nostradamus made a lot of prophesies that later came true. Both groups have to do a lot of creative reading and ignore a lot of text and a lot of misses, to make their claims.

DBT Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Exactly.

One can have hope in various degrees of confidence for any number of things. Hope doesn't make something true.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
those sky jump instructors with many thousand jumps to their name,

do they rely on 'hope' or proper planning and preparation?

Prayers, hope/wishful thinking, rabbits foot/lucky charms, symbols, pictures of Jesus , etc...
do they allow for less planning and preparation?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

This is why men like Crowfoot and Black Elk knew the Circle was Sacred.

The Yin-Yang circle of opposites concept was recognized by Fu-Shi several thousands of yrs before Judaism/christianity.
representative of female/ male, darkness/ light, hot/ cold, good/ evil. etc

The elements stay in balance and are not static or separate, they flow into one another - they are complimentary and relative
to one another because they come from ONE common source. ...The nature of yin - yang lies in the interchange and interplay
of the two components – like night flows into day.

Where Asaiah 45:7 says " I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the Lord do all these things."

is essentially the dual nature of the Yin-Yang stemming from ONE common source.
only that sheep/goat herder monotheists were more than a little late to the party.

understanding the concept of yin and yang allows one to suspend judgment on any one component as you realize
that the forces in ones life are dynamic - in constant state of change, and that they balance and flow as they are meant,
to maintain a state of equilibrium.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
And be sure to chant your mantra as you contemplate your navel.

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
Page 114 of 117 1 2 112 113 114 115 116 117

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

585 members (222Sako, 12344mag, 160user, 240NMC, 1lessdog, 17CalFan, 66 invisible), 2,258 guests, and 1,252 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,286
Posts18,486,887
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.