M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Only sinners have dirty lint...

Originally Posted by mauserand9mm
Originally Posted by mauserand9mm
Originally Posted by Raspy
Whatever you said...everyone knows you are a lying jerk.

That's a bold assertion. Point out where you think I lied.

Well?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
when you are a King you what inferior fearful submissive subjects, so they can look up to you

what better way to make them inferior than to set up the cause and effect for them to be evil.

As much as christians are polarised in their good/evil battle, it is their own God that controls hell,
empowers evil with divine authority and provides the dominion to operate in.

Sort of like clandestinely supporting Jihad terrorists whilst getting your dumb flock to simultaneously fight a war on terror.

-Bulletproof and Waterproof don't mean Idiotproof.
G
Gus Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
it's looks like we're moving farther and farther away from the High Majicc, and much more into the post-modern where rationale, science & technology are motivating the masses.

of course in the case of dorian the mighty, i hope that the water remains with the water, and the land remains with the land. might be some negotiation going on before it's over?

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Society seems very anti science and rapidly growing more so. Also more militant religious. Quite the opposite of what you are saying, Gus, at least in America. I agree that the rest the world is going the other direction. But it ain't to be mistaken for post modernism.

G
Gus Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
speaking of the current world, the us and maybe two-three other minor countries are dealing with the english measurement system? that is, not the metric system, although we all know pretty much what it is and how it works.

many have thought we're leaving the industrial age and moving further into the ecological age. but yet, the mass politics all accept we should bring more mfg jobs back to america. and i agree. it's hard to beat making something to sell abroad.

the ecological age is more feely, sweet, airy, and bubbly? that is, live and let live, and let's all combine resources to save the urth. (like we had any resources: well, brainpower & technology), but not much else.

the idea of allowing der chinese to do our dirty work & mfg, and off loading it onto walmart for domestic distribution is not a bad concept...at least as long as the domestic money holds out. they get the pollution, and we get the plastic toys in the cardboard boxes to go under our aluminum xmas trees.

lot's of conflicting opinions and view points on post-modernism. i'd like to hear yours when you have a chance.

IC B2

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
The ecological age?!?

You gotta be kidding. We left that with the advent of agriculture 7k years ago.

G
Gus Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by LeroyBeans
The ecological age?!?

You gotta be kidding. We left that with the advent of agriculture 7k years ago.

well, yeah. i'd have estimated 10,000 years ago, give or take. but still, we're humans building artifact now, and at a rapid rate.

nevermind that our roads, bridges & infrastructure are crumbling. we'll rebuild it, make it better than ever.

who can blame china and india with their own ideologues to want some of the pie themselves?

some pundits suggest we've been in the age of survival for a spell now? is that true?

but this High Majjic stuff, now that's something that has always interested me.

snakes coming from sticks? the red sea parting? manna from heaven?

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
You are trying too hard, Gus.

Way too hard.

G
Gus Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
You are trying too hard, Gus.

Way too hard.

but i would disagree, as you probably knew i might?

i like the path of least resistance. kind of like a meandering river?

did ever a mighty river try too hard, or just follow the path of least resistance?

the path of least resistance is the way to the future. always has been contrary to opinion.

the big question(s) looms, but it's still over the edge of the horizon. and meantime it's Labor Day.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Go with the flow...

Leo of the Land of Dyr

NRA FOR LIFE

I MISS SARAH

“In Trump We Trust.” Right????

SOMEBODY please tell TRH that Netanyahu NEVER said "Once we squeeze all we can out of the United States, it can dry up and blow away."

IC B3

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Resistance to what?

You are trying way too hard with you quirky faux intellectualism. Like a little kid intentionally trying to be cute to get attention.

You have a clue what you are talking about, but you think it sounds cool.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Resistance to what?

least resistance to gravity...rivers meander because they obey the Law of Gravity..

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Rivers meander because their velocity increases on the outside of bends, thus more erosion and greater depth. sediment removed is deposited on inner curves downstream because the velocity is slower.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A river develops bends as it erodes a way through the path of least resistance by obeying Gravity.

A rivers path is predetermined, being dictated by surroundings/landforms and path of least resistance.

A river will also stop following its curves when the path of least resistance dictates.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
iTs always about the path of least resistance no matter how fast or slow the river,
or the varying degree of meandering.

meandering or no meandering, a course of the river will be determined by the path of least resistance.
To not following the path of least resistance, is to not follow the Law of Gravity.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by Starman
Resistance to what?

least resistance to gravity...rivers meander because they obey the Law of Gravity..

Ah that's not what he was claiming. That was the analogy to his claim, which is BS of course.

DBT Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
In other words, evolution is not myth.

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Originally Posted by Starman
Resistance to what?

Rivers "flow" because of the law of gravity. Meanders, however, don't develop where the effects of gravity are greatest (steep high gradient straight high velocity sections). Instead, meanders develop and grow when the effects of gravity on velocity are diminished as a river's gradient decreases and it follows a more gently sloping surface, although the initial curve is likely caused by an obstruction (in that sense, the initial development is caused by the flow in the path of least resistance).

"Meandering Streams: At a bend in a stream the water's momentum carries the mass of the water against the outer bank. Water piles up on the outer bank making it a little deeper and the inner bank a little shallower. The greater depth on the outer side of the bend also leads to higher velocity at the outer bank. The greater velocity combined with the greater inertial force on the outer bank erodes a deepr channel. The deeper channel reinforces the velocity increase. The inner bank remains shallower, increasing friction, thereby reducing the velocity.
Where the depth and velocity of the water on the outer bank increase so do the competence and capacity. Erosion occurs on the outer bank or cut bank. Where velocity of the water on the inner bank decreases so do the competence and capacity. Deposition occurs, leading to the formation of a point bar. Over time, the position of the stream changes as the bend migrates in the direction of the cut bank. As oxbow bends accentuate and migrate, two bends can erode together forming a cutoff and leaving an oxbow lake."

Maybe it's just a matter of semantics, but I think you're oversimplifying a complex process You don't see many meanders on high gradient, high velocity streams that are more affected by gravity.

Last edited by thirdbite; 09/02/19.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by thirdbite

Rivers "flow" because of the law of gravity.....meanders develop and grow when the effects of gravity on velocity are diminished .

So rivers meander even as they obey the Law of Gravity.

Unless a river course can defy gravity and meander , then I say rivers meander because they obey the Law of Gravity.

Originally Posted by thirdbite

Maybe it's just a matter of semantics, but I think you're oversimplifying a complex process You don't see many meanders on high gradient,
high velocity streams that are more affected by gravity.

There is no process complex or otherwise , without a river obeying the Law of Gravity and taking the path of least resistance.

When a river meanders its because it is obeying the Law of Gravity....unless there's a way a river can defy gravity and ignore
the path of least resistance and still manage to meander.

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
No one has ever said that a river doesn't obey the law of gravity. Of course they do, but there is a lot more going on than that. As far as I know, gravity is pretty universal. Would you say life evolves because of the law of gravity or it evolves under the conditions subject to the law of gravity? Maybe your statement "then I say rivers meander because they obey the Law of Gravity" would be better stated as "rivers meander while obeying the law of gravity as well as other physical laws".
At least it's been a welcome diversion from the unsupportable claims against evolution.

Last edited by thirdbite; 09/02/19.
Page 115 of 117 1 2 113 114 115 116 117

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

548 members (22250rem, 10Glocks, 01Foreman400, 1lessdog, 17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 60 invisible), 2,488 guests, and 1,157 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,403
Posts18,488,921
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.