Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Yep, both of my current Winchester 94's will group 3 shots under 2" at 100 yards with iron sights and my old eyes. When I was younger the 1949 model would regularly hover around 1". Not sure whether it's my old eyes or wear on the old rifle that has it shooting closer to 2" today. Probably a little of both. My current Marlin 336 is scoped and is a solid sub MOA shooter for 3 shots with preferred loads.

GB1

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
I once watched two older guys (perhaps even older than I am now) "sight in" their rifles at the local range before big game season. One had an open-sighted lever-action, and the other a scoped bolt.

Their technique was to pile up scrap 2x4's on the bench, then rest the barrels of their rifles on the stack. They were shooting at 25 yards, the long-advised technique for getting close to zero before shooting at 100. I never saw a group under 4" at 25, with most more like buckshot patterns. They were still whacking away at 25 when I left.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I know it goes on, I see it on public land every year. I HEAR it from my house all day long.

You are the first one I EVER read admitting it.

""Mute the Greeniacs. Open the pipeline. Bury the Russians." - JPR - 2022
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
I once watched two older guys (perhaps even older than I am now) "sight in" their rifles at the local range before big game season. One had an open-sighted lever-action, and the other a scoped bolt.

Their technique was to pile up scrap 2x4's on the bench, then rest the barrels of their rifles on the stack. They were shooting at 25 yards, the long-advised technique for getting close to zero before shooting at 100. I never saw a group under 4" at 25, with most more like buckshot patterns. They were still whacking away at 25 when I left.

IMO - that is MORE indicative of the " shooters " (?) than their rifles.

Since 1974 -- I've had MORE rifles than I can 'remember' to count. I have NEVER had one that would only shoot 4" groups at 100 yds NOT 25 yds.

IF I should get ahold of a rifle that shoots 4" groups --- I know who to sell it to ! (to whom to sell it.)

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
"IMO - that is MORE indicative of the " shooters " (?) than their rifles."

Gee, Jerry, ya think?

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
IC B2

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

Gee, Jerry, ya think?

Well.... let me be more specific. I didn't say it but.... it MAY be that more of these 4" shooting rifles MAY NOT be the rifles.
Is that better ?

Jerry

Last edited by jwall; 08/30/19.

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger

Are you speaking of me and Jay?

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by jwall

Gee, Jerry, ya think?

Well.... let me be more specific. I didn't say it but.... it MAY be that more of these 4" shooting rifles MAY NOT be the rifles.
Is that better ?

Jerry

You just said the same exact thing even though you "didn't say it"??? Life is like a box of chocolates 😁

Good bullets properly placed always work, but not everyone knows what good bullets are, or can reliably place them in the field
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I remember a few years ago one of the guysxatvthe club brought out his Grand Dad’s Royal Newfoundland Lee Enfield from WW1
He asked me to check it for him but his Gramps had shot several moose with it , losing one the year before .
I set it up on my BR bags and fired three at fifty yards while he looked through my spotting scope .
“Jeepers! It’s hitting sideways!!”
Which one” I asked .
“All of ‘me!”
Cat

scopes are cool, but slings 'n' irons RULE!
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
shrapnel,

Nope! Everybody knows you sight-in on rocks, not paper targets....

John Steinbeck
IC B3

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
My late uncle used to sight in using a small piece of 2x4 laid in a plowed field. He could see the dirt fly as he adjusted the open sights of his BAR.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
High precision is boring. No uncertainty at all. One can't be consider a proper looney until they has healed such things and set it aside to undertake the next crippled rifle.

There are times however when 4 MOA is acceptable. 6 barrels belt fed is an example.

BRRRRRRRRT

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
S
Or six or seven barrels linkless fed. Oh dear! That's gonna leave a mark!

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
It grinds my teeth watching some of the goings on...I don`t feel a bit badly for the shooters...it`s the poor animal they may shoot at I feel for.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
How many people can shoot a 2" group @ 50yds with a bow?

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by jwall

Since 1974 -- I've had MORE rifles than I can 'remember' to count. I have NEVER had one that would only shoot 4" groups at 100 yds NOT 25 yds.

IF I should get ahold of a rifle that shoots 4" groups --- I know who to sell it to ! (to whom to sell it.)

Jerry

You mustn't have owned a Mini-14.

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
horse

That’s correct. I liked the looks of the SS but fortunately I didn’t need one for any
reason at all.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by CGPAUL
It grinds my teeth watching some of the goings on...I don`t feel a bit badly for the shooters...it`s the poor animal they may shoot at I feel for.

Oh come on..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
shaman Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Well, I had a trip down memory lane over the weekend, and I couldn't help thinking of this thread.

My buddy Bob attained ambient temperature over the winter, and I inherited his Ruger Model 44 Carbine. I've been getting it ready for deer hunting this season, and I finally had it out to the bench to do a final sight-in at 100 yards. Lo and behold, I ended up with a roughly 4" group about 1.5 inches over the bull. I doubt this rifle will ever fire more than 50 yards at a deer-- perfect for treestands or sliding through the cedar thickets. It'll also be my 1st choice if I ever get back over into Ohio and hunt under their new PCR rules.

Only 4 MOA! Egads, Shaman!

Truth is, I'm sure the rifle could do better, but I mounted a 1st gen Aimpoint on it. This is a scope I took off O.T.'s 25-06, so I'll be hunting with 2 dead friends this year. The scope puts a 2 MOA red dot on the target, so it more than covered the bullseye at 100 yards.

Judging from the fountains of spray coming up from the puddle behind the target frame, I'm quite impressed.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
That gun is suggesting it has potential. It is your job to bring it into a better world.

I have one of those things. Only sight it's ever worn is a Millett SP-1 which has a 3 MOA dot. I think I've shot maybe 2 dozen jacketed bullets thru it, half hand loads with Hornady 240 HP and the other some Fiocchi 240 gr loads. The Horns did about 1.3" at 50 yards and the Fiocchi 1.1" @ 100 yards. Your dot covering the bullseye is no excuse, you just need to cover the BE in a symmetrical fashion with each shot is all.

More to the point, it does this at 100 these days.
[Linked Image]

Don't be afraid of goin' Quigley with this thing, it works.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Or, if you're afraid you have fat finger syndrome just try some regular cast stuff.
[Linked Image]

Only weighs 320 grains....
[Linked Image]

Yer shootin' 4 MOA 'cause you want to.....

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

508 members (007FJ, 1lessdog, 01Foreman400, 1minute, 06hunter59, 257robertsimp, 60 invisible), 2,439 guests, and 1,245 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,550
Posts18,472,964
Members73,940
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.