Campfire Regular
L

In training to be an obedient master to my two labs

Shooting, fishing and hunting

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Lennie: I have seen Grizzled Bears in that area several times in the past.
A few years ago I even witnessed a Montana Fish, Wildlife and Parks crew "unloading" (dumping!) a Grizzly Bear from a trailered trap there in the Gravelly's!
Sadly that unloading (dumping!) of a Grizzly Bear was within sight of a large flock of domestic sheep being tended to by a Basque sheep herder as well as my travel companion and myself.
Big Game guide I know was so troubled by Grizzlies near there, last year, that he loaded up his camp and clients and left the area!
He told me he had seen at least 11 different Grizzly Bears in less than a week and some of them more than once!
It was just to dangerous for him and his dudes to camp/Hunt Elk/Deer there!
And that is saying something.
He also relayed to me that the Bears were "fearless"!
Not good, this.
I think a Hunting season, on the now "fearless" Grizzlies, would do some good and cut down on the Bear inflicted injuries/deaths of humans.
Beautiful country there that is closed now - sad.
I actually saw a Grizzly Bear chasing a small herd of Elk in that area several years ago.
Hoping no more humans are munched!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
News Flash, grizzlies are wild, free, and eat elk. They are also at the top of the food chain, do what they were created to do, and I’m happy for that... Wilderness is not the same without them. I’ll also be happy for their numbers to be thinned down a bit with a limited draw hunt, but I won’t be the one pulling the trigger. I have no desire to do so, though I won’t begrudge someone else the opportunity.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
After all it is Montana. I would love to hunt one.

If you don’t like grizzlies on the landscape I would suggest you move somewhere more civilized.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Only in the Lesser 48 could a grizzly bear shut down a hunting area.

[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]

Z
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I’ll pass on bow hunting an area with 20 griz snacking on cow carcasses. It’s a big state and there’s better ways to die.

"Life is tough, even tougher if your stupid"
John Wayne
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by callnum
After all it is Montana. I would love to hunt one.

If you don’t like grizzlies on the landscape I would suggest you move somewhere more civilized.

Most of us would like to see one hunt you.

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Brad
News Flash, grizzlies are wild, free, and eat elk. They are also at the top of the food chain, do what they were created to do, and I’m happy for that... Wilderness is not the same without them. I’ll also be happy for their numbers to be thinned down a bit with a limited draw hunt, but I won’t be the one pulling the trigger. I have no desire to do so, though I won’t begrudge someone else the opportunity.

Major New Flash:
If evolution is true grizzlies lost in the struggle for existence. If creation is true grizzlies lost in the struggle for existence. Why do do-gooders go against nature and reintroduce them?

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
My guess is that fearless Apex predators to the extent we see them today is a product of recent times. By many accounts the Indians kept pretty messy camps that must have reeked of food odors, yet one does not read of their camps been regularly stormed by hungry bears.

I’m inclined to think that most bear/human interactions back then usually worked out badly for the bear, getting stuck by arrows even if not immediately fatal, can’t have been a good thing. The bravest Indians even went out of their way to pick fights with grizzly bears in the same way that over in Africa Masai warriors would go out and pick fights with adult male lions.

Surely the 20 grizzly bears in question are in serious need of an attitude adjustment.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I hunted that area for 20 years and the last couple years I was out the griz really gotten brazen. One older gentleman from the area told me when he was young the only part of a griz you would ever see was his hind end because the bear was hightailing out of there when it caught a whiff or sight of a human. They need to regain that fear with a season on them.

IC B3

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
They are also at the top of the food chain, do what they were created to do, and

Not vs Man with a rifle who can shoot. MAN is at the top of the food chain.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
If they become a problem - S S S

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die, I want to go where they went"
Will Rogers
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Sasha_and_Abby

This

the consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded. Robert E Lee
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by Sasha_and_Abby

Eastern tenderfeet are funny.

Its real simple, don't hunt around dead cows.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Have to turn off add blocker to read the article.

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Pat85
They need to regain that fear with a season on them.

That's a pretty common misconception... a season doesn't "educate" bears, or put fear in them. It just kills the few that can be harvested. Bears can't log-on to the internet and read hunting regs.

Again, I'm happy they're here, but would also like to see their numbers reduced slightly.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Ringman

If evolution is true grizzlies lost in the struggle for existence. If creation is true grizzlies lost in the struggle for existence. Why do do-gooders go against nature and reintroduce them?

So all the intervention we humans do in nature to undo population loss due to our own activities is a waste of time? We obviously shouldn't have reintroduced elk, bighorn sheep, mountain goats... we should have just shot them into oblivion like the bison, then turned on to something else to destroy? Of course we shouldn't have preserved wild lands, we should have just mined, logged, farmed those lands... after all, we're the top predator, and we can do what we like, right?

Yeah, phug all those "do-gooders"...

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Pat85
They need to regain that fear with a season on them.

That's a pretty common misconception... a season doesn't "educate" bears, or put fear in them. It just kills the few that can be harvested. Bears can't log-on to the internet and read hunting regs.

Again, I'm happy they're here, but would also like to see their numbers reduced.

How does a season on many other species work to introduce fear of man? Most critters in Yellowstone show almost no fear of humans. I saw a guy at the grand canyon hugging an elk. Lots of urban deer have little fear of people.

Do they have as much trouble with grizzlies in places where they are hunted? With the very limited numbers of bears that would be harvested it might take quite a while. And it would probably also help if we had more ways to deal with problem bears.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Ralphie

How does a season on many other species work to introduce fear of man? Most critters in Yellowstone show almost no fear of humans. I saw a guy at the grand canyon hugging an elk. Lots of urban deer have little fear of people.

Do they have as much trouble with grizzlies in places where they are hunted? With the very limited numbers of bears that would be harvested it might take quite a while. And it would probably also help if we had more ways to deal with problem bears.

Anyone that has hunted for any length of time has observed how animals seem to sense a person in what I call "predator mode." Not sure how animals know a person with a bow or gun is seeking their life, but they seem to know.

Again, individual bears spread out over thousands of square miles getting "educated" by a season defies reason. An individual bear may sense you intend to take its life, and when it's done, how does this education he just experienced prior to his death spread to other bears?

H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
There's some folks over the hill to the West of that area that better hope those bears don't get a hankerin' for Buffalo!

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

132 members (10gaugemag, 673, 79S, 450hunter, 21 invisible), 1,933 guests, and 1,046 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,117
Posts18,483,478
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.