C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by RiverRider
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
LOL...

On wet pavement?? Why???

I'd like to see them out in heavy clay soil, each pulling a nice big eight bottom plow to find out which would outwork the other. That would mean something.

And how much fuel each one used and the number of acres turned over at the end of day. Games are for kids, but they can be fun at times. grin

JamesJr Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Two neighboring farmers around here hooked their tractors together like that to solve their argument over which one was the most powerful. It's been 60 years ago, and I don't remember the model, only that one was a Farmall and the other a two cylinder JD. They said that old Johnny Popper was almost mashing it's tires down flat, but it'd gain a foot every time it popped.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
LOL...

This reminds me of a family story. My Grandfather while at the local watering hole, was challenged to a tractor pull. His tractor was a Ford 8N and the other guys tractor was a John Deere A. A date and time was set and quite a crowd gathered at the watering hole parking lot. The tractors backed up and their drawbars were bolted together. Bets were laid. The bar owner signaled the start and the John Deere A began pulling the Ford towards the finish line. Just before the finish line, Granddad pulled the three point lever, John Deere lost traction and got pulled across the opposite finish line.

A bunch of hollering and calls of foul from the crowd. Money exchanged hands under protest. The angry mob retired to the bar and Grandad bought the first round of drinks and the John Deere owner the second round.

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Tractordata.com Lots of good information there including production numbers.

Do not feed the bear!

White Bear sometimes treads on thin ice...
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Nobody that knows anything would bet against a two lung JD in a fairly
matched pull. Very low end torque, gearing, weight, and tire setup make them the
strongest puller I have seen. At least on the letter series and smaller numbers
that are common around here.

Boring, and slow, but the dam things just keep popping and pulling.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
IC B2

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
My favorite when growing up was an Allis Chalmers 200. That sucker would flat out pull when the turbo kicked in.

An uncle had a mid 70's model International Harvester that was weird - it had its exhaust system routed beneath the rear axle, like a car. Would choke you to death when hitching anything up to it. And it had a road gear in it that would scare you silly - that thing would go 35 or 40 mph when you had it hammered down on the road in that top gear. You could nearly pass cars. Scariest tractor I ever operated.

We mostly had Massey Fergusons, and they were quirky but reliable. We had a few Farmalls too but they were so wore out I never cared for them.

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Isn't everyone's favorite tractor model in Hillary Fisher?

[Linked Image]

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
In our area it was definitely the the 3020 and 4020 that hung on the longest and are still being used. The 1066 has a smaller but very loyal following.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Dad and Uncle Harley ran Fords, Uncle Gilbert and the neighbor Claude West ran Farmalls, Grandpa Asher ran an International, and Grandpa Cook ran an Allis. Another neighbor had an old John Deere G model. Because of the dealers, most folks ran Fords or Allis locally, there were pretty good dealers within 20 miles. To get to a Deere dealer, you had to drive 35 miles west.

I had twin aunts that worked at Allis in KC, until retirement. That's probably why Gramps ran his Allis. Dad had worked in a Ford plant for a short while after leaving the Army, which is probably why he bought Fords.

No one brand is prevalent in Chariton County,MO, as far as I can tell. Today, I still have nephews and cousins who farm, and all of them are running whatever they can get a deal on. Probably the same as it was back then.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

593 members (222Sako, 12344mag, 160user, 240NMC, 1lessdog, 17CalFan, 68 invisible), 2,250 guests, and 1,258 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,286
Posts18,486,887
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.