Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
F
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
F
Will the 375 Ruger remain a commercially available rifle/round?

Unreconstructed to the End.
Dum Vivimus Vivamus
Death smiles at us all...but only FMF Corpsmen smile back
GB1

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Of course........Not gonna go anywhere...................Many rifle makers offer the round. So what should that alone tell you.

28 Nosler,,,,300WSM,,,,338-378 Wby,,,,375 Ruger

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Doubtful given the 375 H&H in a standard length can be bought and does all that is needed of a .375. The WSM's and RCM's seem to have fallen behind...

Conduct is the best proof of character.
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by EdM
Doubtful given the 375 H&H in a standard length can be bought and does all that is needed of a .375. The WSM's and RCM's seem to have fallen behind...
......................Doubtful? That is what many said back in 2007 when the 375 Ruger was first intro'd.......It is still here and more widely popular....The WSMs and RCMs are not the 375 Ruger. What happens to them has nothing to do with the long term future of the 375 Ruger........

Doubtful? Savage, Ruger, Mossberg to name three, just might disagree with you as I respectfully do as well....

Of course the H&H will do everything on big game that the 375 Ruger can do. No issue there. However, it was intro'd because it can equal and exceed the ballistics of the H&H (larger capacity case) and do so with a shorter barreled handier rifle such as my 20" Ruger Alaskan....Better performance from a shorter rifle.....

Imo, it was the shorter rifle format option that propelled the Ruger to sky rocket in popularity from 2007 on.

Until no 375 Ruger brass is available, rifle makers discontinue chambering it, and other reloading items become unavailable, then I will share your sentiments.

28 Nosler,,,,300WSM,,,,338-378 Wby,,,,375 Ruger

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
The .375 Ruger has passed the test of time for me in all aspects and I do believe it's popularity will increase as other manufactures add models chambered for it.

First reports were mixed on brass issues and reloading, but I have had zero issues and this cartridge can be loaded to many different levels and there are large selection of bullets available for it, not like the 30 06, but good enough.

If you could only have one rifle worldwide, the .375 Ruger would be my choice. My two rifle battery would be the .375 Ruger and the 30 06 which have amazingly similar ballistics making them a perfect match for anything worldwide. Being the same action for either, all action parts interchange except the bolts in times of need.

IC B2

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
It was designed to fit and function in the many "standard length" bolt-actions that work with cartridges like the 7mm Remington and .300/.338 Winchesters Magnums. I have run .375 Ruger ammo through such actions and so far it has fed great every time.

Whether that's enough to allow it to survive is another question, but so far it appears to be doing pretty well. Maybe not like the 6.5 Creedmoor, another cartridge introduced in 2007, primarily to fit/function in standard "short actions." But not nearly as many hunters think they "need" a .375....

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
It was designed to fit and function in the many "standard length" bolt-actions that work with cartridges like the 7mm Remington and .300/,338 Winchesters Magnums. I have run .375 Ruger ammo through such actions and so far it has fed great every time.

Whether that's enough to allow it to survive is another question, but so far it appears to be doing pretty well. Maybe not like the 6.5 Creedmoor, another cartridge introduced in 2007, primarily to fit/function in standard "short actions." But not nearly as many hunters think they "need" a .375....

All good points....but add to this the wildcatting potential of the 7mm all the way to .416 (already there) and this helps to keep cases in demand. The 375 Ruger has a lot going for it.

F
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
F
Thanks all.

Dum Vivimus Vivamus
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by vapodog

All good points....but add to this the wildcatting potential of the 7mm all the way to .416 .423 (404) (already there) and this helps to keep cases in demand. The 375 Ruger has a lot going for it.

The 404 Ruger wildcat is worth adding as a combination of new (case) technology and classical (404) performance.

Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it Almighty God! I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me liberty of give me death! P. Henry

Deus vult!

Rhodesians all now

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
"If you could only have one rifle worldwide, the .375 Ruger would be my choice."
Please tell me where to find 375 Ruger ammunition in Zimbabwe? Let's say you show up for a lifetime hunt for cape buffalo in Harare. Your rifle makes it but your ammo does not because SAA makes you check your locked 10" x 7" x 6"ammo box separately and it never shows up. Your PH does not have any and while it may be found in Johannesburg your hunt will be over before it shows up at your camp on the shores of Lake Kariba. Change that scenario to 375 H&H and the PH throws you a box of his 375 ammunition and you go hunting with your rifle.
Don't get me wrong I think the 375 and 416 Ruger cartridges are fantastic because I really like the 30/06 length lightweight Ruger 77 rifle. However, until ammunition availability on the African continent or any other really remote location "worldwide" matches the claims of availability made by the Hornady marketing department I would not call them "worldwide".

IC B3

F
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
F
So...strictly for Griz defense...say hunting, camping, fishing, etc...35 Whelen ( I have 2), 375 Ruger or 416 Ruger...all with commercial loads.
muledeer (Dennis), May he Rest In Peace, always said my Whelen were more than enough.

Last edited by Flfiremedic; 08/30/19.

Dum Vivimus Vivamus
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
firemedic: While the 35 Whelen is adequate my Ruger Alaskan 416 Ruger is MORE "more than enough". I sleep better with it next to me in my tent in bear country. The stainless steel and plastic stock is very weather resistant If just for bear protection I remove the scope and screw on a NECG receiver sight directly to the scope bases machined into the Ruger receiver. There are a few easy modifications to improve the feeding reliability. Good luck with Dorian on Monday.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by bobmn
"If you could only have one rifle worldwide, the .375 Ruger would be my choice."
Please tell me where to find 375 Ruger ammunition in Zimbabwe? Let's say you show up for a lifetime hunt for cape buffalo in Harare. Your rifle makes it but your ammo does not because SAA makes you check your locked 10" x 7" x 6"ammo box separately and it never shows up.

Anything is possible. However, I've carried my 404-375 Ruger African on 3 safaris in Zimbabwe and one in Mozambique and have used it on each.

Other than 308, 375 H&H and maybe 458 Win Mag, you'd probably be hard pressed to find ammo. Availability would depend on what your outfitter and PH have available for themselves.

Too many of these forum discussions are based on theoretical exercises and what-if scenarios. A large part of safari for me is the use of my chosen rifle and cartridge.

Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it Almighty God! I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me liberty of give me death! P. Henry

Deus vult!

Rhodesians all now

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I certainly hope it is here to stay. I have always liked 375 cartridges, the H&H was my prior favorite.
After using a 375 Ruger for several years, it is now my favorite 375. It eventually lead me to the 416 Ruger which is also a favorite. I am currently moose hunting with a 416 Ruger. For the past several years I have used either the 375 or 416 of the Ruger persuasion.

Last edited by ldmay375; 09/04/19. Reason: Grammar
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I think it is. It makes sense.

Small Game, Deer, Turkey, Bear, Elk....It's what's for dinner.

If you know how many guns you own... you don't own enough.

In God We Trust.
F
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
F
I do wonder if it will speed up the need for that shoulder surgery I’ve been putting off. How is the recoil with DG rounds?

Dum Vivimus Vivamus
H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by Flfiremedic
I do wonder if it will speed up the need for that shoulder surgery I’ve been putting off. How is the recoil with DG rounds?

My 300Win is a M70 SS Classic in a SuperGrade pattern standard fill McMillan. It's ~9#. I shoot 200gn Barnes TSX @ 2950.

My 375 H&H is a Kimber Talkeetna is about 3-4oz lighter than the 300Win weight-wise and shooting 250 or 270gn Barnes @ 2800fps.

I find the recoil to be very similar between the 2 rifles. I've let several friends shoot my Kimber 375 and for the most part, we all come to the same conclusion, recoil is similar. The 300 recoils "faster", the 375 recoils "farther". I wouldn't classify either as "fun" to shoot, but also wouldn't think either to be punishing.

Neither of the rifles above have brakes. In my experience, anyone who can be proficient with a 300Win/338 Win can handle a 375 H&H just fine.

I realize you're asking about the 375 Ruger, however, assuming similar weighted setups, I don't believe you'd see a noticeable difference in recoil between a 375R or 375 H&H.

Last edited by horse1; 09/05/19.

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Bought the last 3 boxes of 375 Ruger 300 gr Dangerous game rounds at the local Wallmart at $19 a box. Thanks, Art & Dan for the heads up! Now if it does go away I have brass!

Had several 375 H&H sold them did not like the long sloping case for brass life. Prefer the 375 Ruger brass plus Ruger made the 375 Ruger in SS LH in a nice stock laminated stock. Sold my 375 H&H,s and moved on never regretted it.

kk alaska

Alaska 7 months of winter then 5 months of tourists
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by EdM

Talkeetna 375 H&H is a magnum length, 375 Ruger and most of it’s offspring fit in 30’06 length actions. The exception is the 300 PRC which wants long throating, and a magnum length magazine.

Of the Short Mags, My personal fave was/is the 338RCM, in the SA Stainless laminated stock with open sights. it’s probably dead, but who knows.

If I needed a 375, I’d have to have a good deal on an H&H, before I’d reject the Ruger.
Heavier gun to carry, with possibly better feeding. Either will do.

Cheers

History May Not Repeat, But it Rhymes.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

536 members (10gaugemag, 160user, 01Foreman400, 1234, 10gaugeman, 17Fan, 65 invisible), 2,319 guests, and 1,279 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,325
Posts18,487,480
Members73,969
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.