Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
hate to hear this; nothing can justify it

GB1

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
One of my neighbors raises and sells Mastiffs.
They wanted to give me a small male 185 lbs.
They were afraid it would kill another big male which was a breeder.
They will kill for a chance to breed.
They are cute when they are puppies but the big ones are intimidating.

I like to do my hunting BEFORE I pull the trigger!
There is only one kind of dead, but there are many different kinds of wounded.
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
When will a law hold owners accountable please write your congressperson....

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Are these things more common than they used to be?

Not just single dog attacks but takedowns of adults by packs. Seems like one a year now.

The nightmarish end to that poor young woman doesn’t even bear thinking about. As for conviction of the dogs owner, why is it not already that one is held responsible for your dog’s actions?

At least if they own anything, hopefully they will lose it all in civil court.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by sollybug
When will a law hold owners accountable please write your congressperson....
It's a state issue. Congress has no jurisdiction. Call your state legislator.

Patriotism (and religion) is the last refuge of a scoundrel.
Jesus: "Take heed that no man deceive you."
Hebrew Roots Judaizer
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
It's just so hard to comprehend, they are such kind, loving family pets and all. Simply unbelievable...

Pit Bulls are God's sweet, sweet gift to us!

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Owner needs to do some serious prison time.

Family of the girl must be going thru hell, but nothing compares to what the young lady went thru being mauled by them dogs and then dying a month later from it all.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J

The dogs involved in the attack were described as a mastiff, rottweiler-lab mix, two mastiff-lab mixes and a pitbull

Bad, bad business there. Was a 19 year old young woman....not some "little" girl. 1 big/mean dog would be hard to handle.......5 is unthinkable. Nothing but a gun is going to take care of that situation and the person would still likely get chewed on a bit if the dogs were determined. ...enough to make me rethink the 5 shot LCR as enough in most situations...

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by renegade50
Owner needs to do some serious prison time.

Its the only way it should be handled. Lawsuits are useless because 99% of these owners don't have 50 cents to there name.

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Originally Posted by murkydismal
Having dealt with an enormous number of dog issues over last 14 years in LE, I can tell you without reservation...the only good Pit-Bull is a dead Pit-Bull.

Don't bother to respond and tell me you KNOW a good one that has NEVER been an issue.

Every one of them is GOOD until they are not, and they NEVER give a warning about when they change.

I agree.

Neil

Dong Ha Vietnam '67
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Some years back, I had a pack of 4 dogs come at me on my own place. It was hunting season, so I had my rifle with me (3 rounds in it). In a scary situation, I shot 3 of them and the 4th turned and ran. I shook for an hour.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by nmitchell
Originally Posted by murkydismal
Having dealt with an enormous number of dog issues over last 14 years in LE, I can tell you without reservation...the only good Pit-Bull is a dead Pit-Bull.

Don't bother to respond and tell me you KNOW a good one that has NEVER been an issue.

Every one of them is GOOD until they are not, and they NEVER give a warning about when they change.

I agree.

Neil

I have said it before the only thing pits are good for is testing ballistics for Hornady

I feel its very important to be armed for these fuggers (out of control dogs) even more than humans

So many people value dogs than people today it makes me sick No dog how cute etc is worth a human

My step daughter would roll here eyes UNTIL her cousins pit bit her in the hand without warning , my daughter was the same way but she didnt have to get bit she seen the evidence and came to a reality

Very sorry for this girl and her family

Hank

Thank You Lord for another day,Help my Brother along the way

When you mature,you realize hospitals and schools are businesses,and the Beatles were geniuses

Live Like A Champion Today

NRA EndowmentLife Member,My Daughter is also a Life Member
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by chlinstructor
Article said the dogs owner had them in a electric fence enclosure. WTF. And of course, at least one of them was a Pitt Bull.

If only that Pitbull wasn't hanging out with bad influences like Lab and Mastiff mixes, he'd likely not have done that.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by ol_mike
'''The witness told police she ran to the door only to see O’Shea was being attacked by five dogs in the yard'''

And dialed 911 - the cops got there up'teen minutes later while the 'witness' stood in the house with her thumb up her ass . And probably hasn't the brain capacity to think - ''had i had a firearm'' that lovely young girl would be alive - only got a couple of stitches .
Absolutely sickening !!

That was my thought while reading it. Those would have been dead dogs if it was happening in my sight.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Otter
Mastiffs are HUGE . . . 30" tall at the shoulders and could easily weigh well over 220 pounds. Mastiff mixes could be nearly as big, then there are Pits. My first thought about the "electric fence" was one of those wires buried under underground and collars on the dogs. Not much restraint for animals that size (IF that is what it is/was).

What a horrible way for this young girl to die. Prayers and condolences to her family and friends.

Yeah, those electric underground wire "fences" aren't really barriers at all. They are mainly psychological barriers, and very tough minded dogs can choose to disregard the pain. Also, if the battery in the collar dies, they no longer deliver a shock if the dog approaches the wire.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
And failures in the buried wire are common.
It's only a couple inches deep.

Last edited by Dillonbuck; 09/06/19.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by chlinstructor
Article said the dogs owner had them in a electric fence enclosure. WTF. And of course, at least one of them was a Pitt Bull.

Sorry to hear this about the young lady. Pretty hard way to die.

Years ago, my next door neighbor had a white German Shepard with an Invisible Fence. This dog was big and stupid. If he saw something on the other side that he wanted, he'd just blow through it. Probably shocked the schit out of him, but he was too dumb for it to have any effect on him. Once he was out, he'd run through the neighborhood like a crazy insane maniac. Every time we had more than about 4" of snow, that mofo would get out. He never bit or attacked anyone, or anyone's dogs, but it didn't give us the warm and fuzzy feeling.

"Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem."
Ronald Reagan
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Had a pack of dogs around a remote cabin in middle GA back about 20 years or so. 8 dogs as I recall, mixed breeds mostly. There was a pit and German shepherd too. They were quite aggressive for a short time. Never got a shot at the last two, maybe they left for greener pastures. #3 buck is all you need.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher
Are these things more common than they used to be?

Not just single dog attacks but takedowns of adults by packs. Seems like one or three a year week now.

Fixed it for you.

"Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem."
Ronald Reagan
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
I had the underground fence for a male chocolate lab I had. He was a big waterhead. I did not have the system for any aggressive tendencies. I had it because the big lug wanted to go next door and eat the mother in law's cats' food and then sleep all day in her elephant ears.

Anyway, he would approach the barrier, get the warning beep, slow down and squint his eyes and just waddle on through taking the shock the whole time till out of range.

I even opted for what they call the Stubborn Dog Updrade, had a full 9volt power pack on it. lol

Just sit there and squint his eyes and sometimes just sit down. 😄 crazy

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

480 members (007FJ, 1badf350, 17CalFan, 1moredeer, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 39 invisible), 2,159 guests, and 1,172 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,543
Posts18,531,330
Members74,039
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.