Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by jaguartx
Originally Posted by Pat85
Originally Posted by ldholton
OP pics is not a timber rattler

Then what is it?

Bull n ake.

That is a rattlesnake, not a bull snake. I don’t even think there are bull snakes in PA. We have plenty on rattlesnakes. I saw one just lat weekend. They are in the top 5 most common snakes that I see here.

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Growing up in eastern Pa., a couple came off of the mtn into town.

They didn't last long...

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by viking
Not killing a killer is ridiculous. Get them before they get you or someone else.

Had to tell Varmintgay the same thing a few years ago....using that logic I should pull over every stupid driver I see, and kill them...

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
Originally Posted by ingwe
Not killing a killer is ridiculous. Get them before they get you or someone else.

Had to tell Varmintgay the same thing a few years ago....using that logic I should pull over every stupid driver I see, and kill them...

I see a lot of stupid drivers, I like the idea of killing them!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Around here the locals call them Velvet tail Rattlers. I've seen pics of 6 footers and they were pretty darn big around too. Fortunately where I live I've never seen one. But less than 8 miles away there are some. They seem to occur in pockets here and there through out Eastern Texas.

Figures don't lie, But Liars figure
Assumption is the mother of mistakes
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Years ago use to take my morning coffee in the garage so I could talk with the lads and lassies, (Pookie, Bozo, Shelia, and Audy (Murphy -cat was a badass). I step out and they're all focused and I haven't woke up yet. I then find myself the target of a very agitated -green- sidewinder. That gets real sporty.

AND:
God forbid some leopard g-string wearing guy shoot me with a 270.

Be Polite , Be Professional , but have a plan to kill everybody you meet
-General James Mattis United States Marine Corps

Nothing is darker than a mau mau's moo moo.
J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
I kill rattlers around the house and barn.

Also any snakes that are in the house.

Wife dont like house snakes.

I am MAGA.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad

Has she had them in a chilli/ stew?

Be Polite , Be Professional , but have a plan to kill everybody you meet
-General James Mattis United States Marine Corps

Nothing is darker than a mau mau's moo moo.
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Unless they are an immediate threat to ones self, children, livestock, or have taken up residence adjacent or under a cabin or home, IMO, they should be left alone to do their thing. We have no snakes in Alaska, but I have lived where they were, and encountered them (scaring the crap out of me a couple times) and felt the same then.

If it is legal, and they are wanted for meat or hide (not just the rattles) that is a different story.

Killing them otherwise is a wanton act, depriving them of the only thing the poor bastards have - their life. It is not going to make a bit of difference in the population, one way or another, so it is merely a "feel-good" act on the killer's part. No different than killing a deer or other animal "because it is there", or for the rack.

If it is illegal, then the snake killer should be prosecuted, in addition. No wink, wink, ha,ha.

Last edited by las; 09/07/19.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by Theeck
Originally Posted by jaguartx
Originally Posted by Pat85
Originally Posted by ldholton
OP pics is not a timber rattler

Then what is it?

Bull n ake.

That is a rattlesnake, not a bull snake. I don’t even think there are bull snakes in PA. We have plenty on rattlesnakes. I saw one just lat weekend. They are in the top 5 most common snakes that I see here.

We have no sarcasm notification you know.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad

Mostly like you Jim, except if I can I'll just remove them from the homestead area.

Lived in a place in AZ desert where I killed or removed 21 in a five year period. From next to the hose bib on the house wall, under the pallet the doghouse sat on, the porch, steps going down from the yard to the street. One I removed crawled under a cooler i had tipped over to dry out after rinsing it post turkey hunting. Hadn't been on the lawn a half hour. Most of the killed ones were eaten and their skins preserved. We let many go that were away from the house.

This house here, haven't seen a rattler yet but garter snakes and gopher snakes (bull snakes to some of youins) and a spattering of others. Have actually had small garter snakes get in somehow. Maybe through the side of the dog door flaps?

Originally Posted by las
Unless they are an immediate threat to ones self, children, livestock, or have taken up residence adjacent or under a cabin or home, IMO, they should be left alone to do their thing. We have no snakes in Alaska, but I have lived where they were, and encountered them (scaring the crap out of me a couple times) and felt the same then.

If it is legal, and they are wanted for meat or hide (not just the rattles) that is a different story.

Killing them otherwise is a wanton act, depriving them of the only thing the poor bastards have - their life. It is not going to make a bit of difference in the population, one way or another, so it is merely a "feel-good" act on the killer's part. No different than killing a deer or other animal "because it is there", or for the rack.

If it is illegal, then the snake killer should be prosecuted, in addition. No wink, wink, ha,ha.

Pretty much on the same page as you las, they get a pass from me most times. I hate friggen rats, mice, gophers and other rodent vermin that gets in the garden, sheds, chicken coops, and yard. If the rattler ain't near to the house, it'll likely live.

Originally Posted by hanco

I'm more for having a vaporize button on my dashboard with crosshairs so I don't smoke an innocent driver. Either that or a "Groundhog Day" button so they can keep going over and over their impropriety, endlessly, until they figure it out.

Geno

PS, for those who think "well Geno just hasn't had a close call yet", I've had my hands and feet within inches of them on more than a few occasions. It definitely gets the heart started.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by hanco

He needs to go to S Texas or Houston or Austin and get busy.

I Dindo Nuffin
J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by las

Kind of like coyotes and crows, huh? smile

I Dindo Nuffin
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
buzz tails get chopped into small pieces in my space . I made a 5 ft alum. walking stick to hold the head and a razer sharp gerber jr machete to do the choppen I HATE snakes

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by las

an eye for an eye, tooth for a tooth. one of those bast*rds killer a golden retriever of mine a few years ago. And i know a number of people bit. Treatment isn't inexpensive. my golden weighed about 100pounds. I figure 2pounds per snake, or i need to blast about 50of them into eternity. i am still 30 or so short.
wanton act? no, it's intentional, feel good on the killer's part? you bet, more the better. Hate the damn things.
favorite way to do it? shotgun, and about 6 rounds of number seven. start at the head, work backwards, reload then start at the tail and work forwards. it makes it easier for the hawks and yotes to find a snack hanging on the barb wire fence.
and by the way, i don't shoot either yotes or crows.

Last edited by RoninPhx; 09/07/19.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by jorgeI
In all our years at my wife's place in the S Central PA mountains 9Rothrock state forest), I've never seen any. Wife is up there with her dad and our two mini Aussies and almost got bagged by it. Heard the rattle (she said it sounded like a faucet running) and the dogs alerted. She dispatched the FIRST one on Wednesday and AGAIN another yesterday. Both were pretty big (14 rattles on this one). She bagged them both with the duty 22 Ruger pistol smile

[Linked Image]

You PA residents get many of these?

Just great! walked by that same garden the day before........ VP did a good job. Karl didn't need that hanging around.

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by las

Sorry...you lost me at "Unless".

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
i shot a four footer one time that was coiled, in the neck with a .22lr. S.O.B. got irritated and started chasing me. I won, and a long axe following, kind of like fresh snake sushi.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I don’t kill them if I see them in the woods, and I’m always wearing snake boots. If they are in camp, close to kids and dogs, then they get culled. The average cost of treating a rattlesnake bite is around $150k, not to mention the pain and disfigurement that goes along with it. With kids and seniors, there’s a very real chance of not making it through the treatment. I don’t mind snakes so much, but there are limits.

To anger a conservative, lie to him. To annoy a liberal, tell him the truth.

Promoted to Turdlike status 03/17/12

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Yep, dead snake...

Always dead.

F u c k those buzzers

Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

73 members (anothergun, 10gaugemag, BallisticBRYAN, 15 invisible), 1,530 guests, and 709 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,650
Posts18,512,641
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.