Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Sell them separately. You'll get a lot more money that way. If its a good scope and you still have the box (that's a bonus), sell it on ebay. You'd be surprised what you can get out of a good used scope on ebay. Just be sure its a good scope.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
GB1

C
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by jbmi
nope, rifle only, if the rings are special to the gun, then include the rings, you'll get more $$ selling the scope separate.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^Without a doubt THIS^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

To sell the rifle with the scope, you are assuming 2 things. First, they want that scope (which with all the scopes on the market, it would be a real fluke if that was the one they wanted.
Second, You are assuming they don't have extra scopes to put on their new rifle if they get it. Which I highly doubt. I know very few people who don't have extra scopes and even if they do, the one they want to use, for that particular rifle, they may need to buy anyway.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
This come from strictly a buyer:

I have never bought a rifle for the scope. However, I have bought a rifle because it was scoped. Sometimes it's hard to tell if a firearm has been properly D&T'd. If there's a scope on it, there's a better chance that it can be made to wear my scope without any fuss. If the rifle is a model that went through its whole mfg history being D&T'd at the factory, this is not a problem. That is not always the case.

I also would not be put off by a notice "Scope and Rings Not Included" in the description.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have bought a rifle for the scope.
Rem. M7 with a 3x9 vari x-II, at a farm auction.
Looked at guns, no interest in a 243.

When they got to $200 looking for 1st bid, I did to make it move.
Had been looking to buy that exact scope, $240 at the time, so when it stopped
at $325, I jumped on it, came home at $365.
Got my scope, and a M7 that only cost $125.

19 years later, that scope has never been off the rifle. A Campfire member
gave me a youth stock for it, and for the last 4 years my oldest daughter has hunted it.
This year, the youngest Wil.

Anyway, I'm in the separate it camp. The best buys on used guns usually are packages.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
When I had my shop used rifles were put on the rack the same way they came from the factory. Scopes, mounts, slings and other accessories were removed for separate sale.

IC B2

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
If not in a hurry, maybe run two auctions... one with the scope... and one afterwards without.

Sometimes it is very nice to get a G2G package... especially when the glass is top shelf.

My CZ550 (9,3 Mauser) comes to mind... she is set-up and G2G with a nice Kahles

If no takers for fair money, strip her down and sell separate.

That kinda thing.

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I never do... Rifle only, scope only...

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Finding someone that likes your scope and rifle combination is much harder than finding a buyer for either one alone. When I sell the bases and rings go with the rifle, but not the scope.

Brushbuster: "Is this thread about the dear heard or there Jeans?"
Plugger: "If you cant be safe at strip club in Detroit at 2am is anywhere safe?"
Deer are somewhere all the time
To report a post you disagree with, please push Alt + F4. Thank You.
T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T
Great advice. Glad I posted this.

Bases and rings will be included, but scope will be sold on eBay.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Sell it in the Classifieds here which are free. Why pay eBay's fee?

IC B3

E
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
E
I sold them as a pair once (a nice combo, scope no longer made).

I regret it and trying to buy the scope back.

Now I only sell that way if the scope is something I know darn well I am not going to use again, or if it wouldn't sell for much on its own. I wouldn't sell a rifle with a premium scope sitting on top.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by jbmi
nope, rifle only, if the rings are special to the gun, then include the rings, you'll get more $$ selling the scope separate.

^^^^

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
In general, you will probably get more for them separately, but there are always exceptions. I think an older rifle that has been drilled and tapped for a vintage mount will be worth a lot more if they are together than separate. It really hurts the value of a rifle if there are some big ugly holes in it. Same with holes drilled and tapped for a receiver sight.

Also if the mounts are very unusual I think it is a mistake to spit them up. I saw a very fancy Sako at a gun show long ago with a unique claw mount with engraving on it, but no rings or scope. The seller didn't have them and it probably cut the value of the rifle by at least 50%.

Jerry

Minnesota; Land of 10,000 Taxes
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
I’m glad that this thread was started. I may start eliminating several firearms, and was going a sell as a package deal.....apparently that is not the “smart” way! Thanks! memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I always remove a quality scope before selling a rifle. In my 40+ years of gun buying, I've only once bought a gun because of the scope on it. That was a Winchester Hi-wall in .219 Zipper Improved that had a Redfield 3200 mounted on it. The rifle was advertised as a Lo-wall and I didn't look carefully, because I wanted the scope and the price was such that the rifle ended up costing me about $150 after the value of the scope was deducted. I'd planned to part the rifle out (a Lo-wall isn't really a good action for a cartridge as hot as a .219 Zipper Improved) and I only realized the seller's mistake (and mine) after getting the rifle home. Turned out that the rifle was a custom job by J.W. Van Patten, a fairly well known custom rifle smith from northeastern Pennsylvania who was active in the last half of the 20th century. Only real steal I've ever gotten in a gun deal.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Since we're beating on this subject a bit, another reason to remove the scope is that it could kill a potential sale.

A person might want the rifle but not the particular scope that's on it. Rather than pay "extra" for the scope they will look elsewhere.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
One of the very few times the fire is in damn near total agreement...

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If it's a Leupold, I tend to just leave it on there. Kidding, just kidding.

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Us minons.
Will never be told or given the chance to buy the scope or rifle????

What the fugg is it TRH?????

Gawd......

LOL!!!

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
You can't afford it 😄

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

81 members (260Remguy, 6MMWASP, 257_X_50, 450yukon, 79S, 907brass, 10 invisible), 1,549 guests, and 959 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,757
Posts18,476,390
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.