Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
https://ktrh.iheart.com/content/201...CXux8T2tL7mL8uJqyGGtlXq1NT29hesyWgtG9QlU

A massive cargo ship flipped over after it caught on fire off the coast of Georgia. The Coast Guard received a call just after 2 a.m. that the 656-foot Golden Ray was listing in St. Simons Sound.

Rescuers managed to evacuate 20 of the 24 crew members on the ship before they were forced to stop because a fire broke out inside the boat.

"As smoke and flames began to appear our crews, along with the Glynn County heavy rescue team, assessed that the situation was too risky to further go inside the vessel to attempt to locate the four individuals who remain missing at this time," Captain John Reed, commander of the Coast Guard Sector Charleston, said during a press conference.

Officials are working to stabilize the ship so they can go inside and rescue the four remaining crew members.

Authorities have not determined what caused the cargo ship to capsize. The boat had just left the Colonels Island Terminal when it started to list. The Coast Guard says that "pollution mitigation efforts" are underway but that there has not been an "active release" of pollution into the water.

Photo: U.S. Coast Guard

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Officials are working to stabilize the ship so they can go inside and rescue the four remaining crew members.

Always wanted to be trapped inside a burning ship frown

Son of a liberal: " What did you do in the War On Terror, Daddy?"

Liberal father: " I fought the Americans, along with all the other liberals."

MOLON LABE

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
That'll put a new slant on their perspective.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
It was on the way to Baltimore. Hmmmmm........ 😜

Sam......

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Mmmmn,

A quick search seems to indicate it's a vehicle transporter. That's a whole lot more value in the water than a load of sweet taters.

Hope the four managed to find a safe spot.

Geno

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by watch4bear

Always wanted to be trapped inside a burning ship frown

Been there done that, ain't no fun. Skip it if you can.

The older I become the more I am convinced that the voice of honor in a man's heart is the voice of GOD.
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Wonder how that happened--
Hope all the crew got out safely--

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
OK, boat and ship guys of the forum, how the hell does a big boat flip over? The hurricane is long gone. The boat loaded up with cars at the dock in Georgia, headed out to sea, and flipped over on the side.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by simonkenton7
OK, boat and ship guys of the forum, how the hell does a big boat flip over? The hurricane is long gone. The boat loaded up with cars at the dock in Georgia, headed out to sea, and flipped over on the side.

Ballast and cargo load balance. I’m guessing they had a unbalanced load of cargo and a messed up ballast situation (ie wrong tank was flooded or emptied)

"Life is tough, even tougher if your stupid"
John Wayne
B
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
B

It was loaded by union workers. Notice it's leaning left...

They say everything happens for a reason.
For me that reason is usually because I've made some bad decisions that I need to pay for.
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
It was on the way to Baltimore. Hmmmmm........ 😜

Ship suicide? I mean, Baltimore!!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Stormin_Norman

Ballast and cargo load balance. I’m guessing they had a unbalanced load of cargo and a messed up ballast situation (ie wrong tank was flooded or emptied)

Sounds reasonable to me. Here's hoping the last four get out alive and not badly hurt.

Some insurance carriers are going to take Major hits.

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
This land-lubber got good replies as to how a boat like the one off California burns. The fact that it was of fiberglass construction makes a great deal of sense. I am still somewhat at a loss as to what burns on large, metal ships. I understand that various fluids can burn. (Please note that I am probably as dumb as I sound.)

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Was it anywhere near that island the senator was concerned about flipping over?

An unemployed Jester, is nobody's Fool.

the only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker, is observation. all the same data is present for both. The rest, is understanding what you're seeing.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Regular
Online Mad
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by 5sdad
This land-lubber got good replies as to how a boat like the one off California burns. The fact that it was of fiberglass construction makes a great deal of sense. I am still somewhat at a loss as to what burns on large, metal ships. I understand that various fluids can burn. (Please note that I am probably as dumb as I sound.)

Fuel for the most part. That would get anything else that was combustible burning. Depending on the cargo, you could have a big fire.

Deadlines and commitments, what to leave in, what to leave out...
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
It just is hard for me to understand how they could improperly load a ship in today's world.
Must have been OK in port or it does not seem like they would have gotten that far.

Wonder if they were fiddling with ballast water enroute and goofed or valves stuck on taking on or discharging ballast?

Last edited by LouisB; 09/08/19.

Some spelling errors can be corrected by a vowel movement.
~ MOLON LABE ~
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Most likely it was not a “loading issue” that caused the ship to list and lay over. Best guess is that they had an onboard fire, and fired up the water pumps/fire hoses to fight it. Most likely the pumps flooded some of the compartments, which were not pumped out at the same rate as the water entered, causing an imbalance situation which destabilized the ship. Once that happened, the ship listed, then rolled onto its side while it continued burning.

In taking some of my captain’s courses, vessel stabilization was drilled into our heads as being of utmost importance, as was fire prevention and control/firefighting. Seems like both of those issues surfaced here and the crew was on the short end of the stick so to speak.

I certainly hope the four missing guys are safe in a compartment somewhere, and are looking for a way out, though smoke inhalation and heat are sometimes worse than the fire itself and the guys might have succumbed. I’m sure the CG and inspectors will figure out exactly what happened, and will hopefully find the remaining crew alive.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Capt, and any others with experience. How's it sound if a shaft seal overheated and started the fire and led to water flooding the compartments on that side of the ship?

Of course, on the water just about anything can turn into a disaster quickly.

Geno

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by kellory
Was it anywhere near that island the senator was concerned about flipping over?

Nope. Different ocean.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
OK, ship and boat guys. Now, when I was in Boy Scouts at Camp Bert Adams, they had us paddle to the middle of the lake in our canoe, and just rock it back and forth sideways until it flipped over. Simulated disaster. Then they showed us how to right the canoe and re enter, and get the water out.

But this is different. A 700 foot long ship loaded with 1,000 cars. How do they fix this? Do they try to get the ship upright there in the ocean?
Do they bring in a submarine for torpedo practice and just sink it? Seriously, do they tow it back to port, or what?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

603 members (160user, 1badf350, 1936M71, 1lessdog, 1minute, 69 invisible), 2,697 guests, and 1,294 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,192
Posts18,503,431
Members73,993
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.