Print Thread
Hop To
F
fishdoc Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
F
Purchased a .270 WSM and my thoughts have gone to reloading for it. I like to shoot one bullet/load for mule deer and elk and am looking at the performance of the Nosler Accubond 140 grain and the TSX 130 grain. The 140 grain Accubond has received good reviews for accuracy and lethality for these uses. The TSX gets good marks from what I've read on lethality but what about accuracy? Appreciate your experiences reloading the 130 gr. TSX in the .270 WSM. Fishdoc/

HR IC

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
fish-each and every big game rifle that I own shoots the TSX brand as good or better and consisently than any other brand that I've ever worked with.

I would not doubt the accuracy of the bullet.

If a person has challenges with accuracy when running a TSX it is not the bullet that is at question to my way of thinking.

I hear people from time to time pee and moan about this or that with the TSx. However each and every time I have had my ideas as to what is the issue and trust me it is not the bullet that I am doubting.

Mark D

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by Mark R Dobrenski
fish-each and every big game rifle that I own shoots the TSX brand as good or better and consisently than any other brand that I've ever worked with.

If a person has challenges with accuracy when running a TSX it is not the bullet that is at question to my way of thinking.

I hear people from time to time pee and moan about this or that with the TSx. However each and every time I have had my ideas as to what is the issue and trust me it is not the bullet that I am doubting.

Mark D

Bravo,Bravo........To the point and accurate smile

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I run the 130 TSX in front of H4350 with great results. It shoots a little tighter for me than NPTs.

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
I agree with the rest of these guys. I simply substituted 130gr TSXs for Hornady 130gr interlocks in my standard .270Win load (130gr bullet over 60gr H4831 and BR2 primers) and they shot sub MOA the very first time I went to the range.

My .270 is a Browning A-bolt stainless stalker with BOSS. I didn't change the BOSS setting or anything. I love it when load development is that easy! smile

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Yep the TSX is a very good bullet. You shouldn't have any trouble getting great accuracy out of it. If you don't at first keep trying. Bullet seating depth seems to be the one thing that the TSX is harder to find. All mine are seated right next to the lands. Seems this is where my rifles like em. Anyhew have fun with rifle and those TSXs they are a very good bullet. HAPPY HUNTING

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by jwp475
Originally Posted by Mark R Dobrenski

Mark D

Bravo,Bravo........To the point and accurate smile

Good post! And I will follow up with the following: Several bullets have excellent reputations for accuracy. But you should remember "accuracy" is a relative term and may not mean the same to you as it does to someone else. Also, for instance, Ballistic Tips are well reputed for great accuracy. I have a gun that will consistently shoot one hole groups with a couple of different bullets and powders, and sub inch groups with some other combos...I KNOW the rifle is accurate, but it wont shoot Ballistic Tips for $hit. And I'll qualify that by saying I bet if I put a concerted effort in and tried different powders, primers, seating depths, I could find a combo that worked...but I have so many others in this gun that work and will do what I need, its not worh the effort. TSX's have a fine reputation for accuracy. If you want to shoot those to the exclusion of all others, then hopefully you'll get luck and find that right combo quick, but be prepared to tinker with it, change powders, primers, maybe even brass. Seating depth, if your mag will allow, is often a huge key in accuracy. I had a 300WinMag. I had several powder charges with different powders which would move 180 Hornadys at 3150fps which is what I desired. Most of them scattered the shots over 2+ inches at 100 yards, but the R-19 load put them in less than 3/4". Same bullet, same velocity, same seating depth, same primers, same brass, but different powders yielded vastly different results in accuracy. Obtaining accuracy isn't usually as easy as buying a bullet with a good rep for accuracy and just loading it up.

Somebody on here once suggested that I run quickly to the nearest gun shop and unload the .280Rem rifle that shot this group with Nosler 140 Solid Bases for "a shooter" because it doesn't like Ballistic Tips.
[Linked Image]

I reduced the load above a half grain and got the group below. It will also group like this below with 139 and 154 Hornady Interlocks and certain powder charges, and right at an inch with 140 Accubonds. All at 3000-3150fps. I can't for the life of me find a reason to pursue Ballistic Tips for accuracy.

[Linked Image]

The 30-06 that shot the group below with 165 Accubonds loves them with 57.5grs of H4350, and will do the same with 165 Hornday Interlocks over 61grs of R-22...as of yet I haven't discovered a combo it likes with TSXs or Ballistic Tips.

[Linked Image]

All those groups above required changing powders several times under the bullet I wanted to shoot to finally find the right combo. I got the velocity I wanted with several powders, and decent accuracy (decent accuracy to me means consistently in the 1"-1.25" range, good is an 1" or less, great is .5" or less) with some...but keep tinkering and you'll eventually find nirvana with your chosen bullet if your gun doesn't have issues.

War Damn Eagle!

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
I get sub-moa accuracy with 130 TSX's out of a T3 270 WSM using Magpro at 3300 fps. Sierra GK's shoot a little better. Magpro was the first powder I tried and I ended my load developement right there.

I've shot several deer with the load usinf the 130 TSX, and the results have been very impressive. The furthest any deer went after the shot was about 40 or 50 feet and it must have crawled because at the shot we saw four hoofs upended in tall grass.

Now I've picked up a Montana in 270 WSM and will see if I can get close to the accuracy and speed the T3 gives me. I hope so.

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
M
M
I can't speak for the 130gr tsx for the 270 but i can for the 30.06. I recently worked up a load for my 30.06 with the 130gr tsx. I went through 4 different powders before i found the combo my rifle liked best. None of the powders i tried really shot bad as i had no groups that opened up over 1-1/2" but in the end RL15 ended up being the most consistent and giving the best accuracy with H414 close behind.
As for seating depth, this rifle usually likes the bullet .010 off the lands but that wasn't the case with the barnes. I started out at .050 like barnes recommends and found my load then moved in and out .010 at a time but when i did the groups opened up so .050 off is where i stayed. Here's a 4 shot group of the load i ended up with. Mike

[Linked Image]

Life's Tough....God's Good....Pray Hard!

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

165 members (300_savage, 10gaugemag, 4th_point, 2ndwind, 222ND, 22 invisible), 17,421 guests, and 1,161 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,996
Posts18,540,246
Members74,053
Most Online21,066
3 hours ago

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.