Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
G
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
G
The following is an e-mail sent to a columnist Clarence Page, of The Chicago Tribune, after an article he wrote concerning a name change for the Washington Redskins

Dear Mr. Page:

I agree with our Native American population. I am highly jilted by the racially charged name of the Washington Redskins. One might argue that to name a professional football team after Native Americans would exalt them as fine warriors, but nay, nay. We must be careful not to offend and in the spirit of political correctness and courtesy'
... We must move forward.

Let's ditch the Kansas City Chiefs, the Atlanta Braves and the Cleveland Indians. If your shorts are in a wad because of the reference the name Redskins makes to skin color, then we need also to get rid of the Cleveland Browns. The Carolina Panthers obviously were named to keep the memory of militant Blacks from the 60's alive. Gone. It's offensive to us white folk. The New York Yankees offend the Southern population. Do you see a team named for the Confederacy? No! There is no room for any reference to that tragic war that cost this country so many young men's lives. I am also offended by the blatant references to the Catholic religion among our sports team names. Totally inappropriate to have the New Orleans Saints, the Los Angeles Angels or the San Diego Padres. Then there are the team names that glorify criminals who raped and pillaged. We are talking about the horrible Oakland Raiders, the Minnesota Vikings, the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, and the Pittsburgh Pirates!

Now, let us address those teams that clearly send the wrong message to our children. The San Diego Chargers promote irresponsible fighting or even spending habits. Wrong message to our children. The New York Giants and the San Francisco Giants promote obesity, a growing childhood epidemic. Wrong message to our children. The Cincinnati Reds promote downers/barbiturates. Wrong message to our children. The Milwaukee Brewers. Well, that goes without saying. Wrong message to our children.
So, there you go. We need to support any legislation that comes out to rectify this travesty because the government will likely become involved with this issue, as they should. Just the kind of thing the do-nothing Congress loves.

As a diehard Oregon State fan, my wife and I, with all of this in mind, suggest it might also make some sense to change the name of the Oregon State women's athletic teams to something other than "the Beavers (especially when they play Southern California. Do we really want the Trojans sticking it to the Beavers???

I always love your articles and I generally agree with them. As for the Redskins name, I would suggest they change the name to the "Foreskins" to better represent their community, paying tribute to the dick heads in Washington DC.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
And there are the fighting Irish.

Some data I've seen suggests our native Americans don't have any concerns at all.

1Minute
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Washington Losers would be perfect for the D.C. area, plus sending the
correct message to the children.

--- CAUGHT IN THE CROSSFIRE --- A Magic Time To Be An Illegal In America---
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Do we really want the Trojans sticking it to the Beavers???

I don't see a problem with that.

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
So am I wrong calling my 3 daughters halfbreeds???
And khan/wife the worst squaw ever????

Or am I just raising silly politically incorrect anologies in the blown outta proportion sports team name thing.

Old Town Indians growing up was the name of our high school sports teams.

Now it is the Coyotes....

Go figure....

Winter deer yard in deep crusty snow eating up prego does coyotes........

IC B2

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Just drop Washington and call them the Redskins. That gets rid of the offensive portion of the name.

NRA Patron
F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Foreskins.....

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
We damn sure can't have any 'Patriots' running around.

FJB & FJT
R
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
R
Was just watching "The 5" and they had a story where they bleeped out Redskins while doing the story crazy

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
We have a high school that was previously called the Little Indians and now are known as the Green Knights. Another local high school was known as The Rebels and all the PC bleeding heart liberals said it was racist and said it was the same as flying the confederate flag so the changed the name to The Wolves. That one cost the school district approximately $100,000 according to local news papers.

living the good life every day
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Raeford
We damn sure can't have any 'Patriots' running around.

I would not want to risk it. some of them might have been slave owners.

smile

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
is 'Yellowback snowflakes" the new name?

I bought a Redskins and a Cleveland Indians cap last year when I read the names were to be changed.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Stealing this.

I've always been different with one foot over the line.....
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Kid from my hometown is QB for the Redskins this year. Case Keemun. He won the HS State Championship here about 15 years ago. Friend of mine’s kid was his Center. He runs our LGS.
And another kid from just 20 miles down the road is his backup QB at the Redskins. Ole Colt McCoy. He played for the University of TX.

Funny that two kids from podunk TX are both QB’s for the enemy Redskins. 😬

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Every butthurt group has its race and poverty pimps.

Instead of tilting at useless windmills, perhaps their efforts would be better put to use getting the US Govt to honor the treaties they signed.

[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]

Z
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Keep the name - change the helmet. Get a new mascot.
[Linked Image]

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
They don't need to change the name, when was the last time American Indians rioted and looted.

DMc Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
They could easily become the most hated team in the world. Simply change their name to the "Washington Politicians".

Every sport needs a "Bad Guy"

Make Gitmo Great Again!!
Who gave the order to stop counting votes in the swing states on the night of November 3/4, 2020?
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
How about shanking the name to: Native American Scalpers

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

588 members (1Longbow, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 1lesfox, 12344mag, 1badf350, 72 invisible), 2,524 guests, and 1,339 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,514
Posts18,509,439
Members74,002
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.