-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Was with Rick Menefee last week in NM and almost stepped on a green colored prairie rattler, don’t know how I didn’t. Living life right I guess. I’ll go to my grave wondering how I didn’t get popped. It was coiled up at my feet and I had been standing there and moving around for 5 min

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Timber rattlers are gorgeous and very docile. Common in East Texas.

All American

All the time
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Beautiful snakes... I never kill them or any other snake unless they are in my yard or bothering my dogs.

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die, I want to go where they went"
Will Rogers
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by Pat85
Originally Posted by ldholton
OP pics is not a timber rattler

Then what is it?

What fes we have around here that I've seen are more banded nutso much "dimond" like markings

jorgeI Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Sasha_and_Abby
Beautiful snakes... I never kill them or any other snake unless they are in my yard or bothering my dogs.

A. They were in the yard/orchard
B.and within five feet of my dogs..and coiled/rattling
C.Yes they both were Timber rattlers.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
IC B2

jorgeI Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Terryk
Originally Posted by jorgeI
In all our years at my wife's place in the S Central PA mountains 9Rothrock state forest), I've never seen any. Wife is up there with her dad and our two mini Aussies and almost got bagged by it. Heard the rattle (she said it sounded like a faucet running) and the dogs alerted. She dispatched the FIRST one on Wednesday and AGAIN another yesterday. Both were pretty big (14 rattles on this one). She bagged them both with the duty 22 Ruger pistol smile

[Linked Image]

You PA residents get many of these?

I live right next to Rothrock and Bald Eagle on 322 side, so that is where I walk the dogs and hunt. Yep it is a heavy year for them. The females pop out young ones right now, and others are breeding, so there is lot of snake movement in September. Lot of chipmunks this year so I guess good feeding. I generally dont kill them but my best friend kills every one, every time.
Another friend got bit by one in Bellefonte quarry, and naturally he got the anti venom at Mt. Nittany. His arm still swelled like a balloon, I thought it was going to blow up, but it eventually healed up.
Lots of bob cats the last few years in Rothrock, got many on the trail cams.
Great place to live.

If you know where Camp Blue Diamond is, we are just up the road from them, east of the big lake..

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Originally Posted by kid0917
eastern DB, nice one!

the one you replied to is not an eastern DB

Last edited by killerv; 09/09/19.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Stan V

Yes.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Well...I've got an 8yo that is almost always with me, he wasn't with me this day. He'd have been out in the foodplot looking for stuff and would have gotten popped on the hand. No telling how many times we have walked past this snake in the past. I'm not taking any chances if its somewhere we frequent. My experience with timbers is they won't mess with ya unless you pretty much step on them. I picked up a shed once, took one step and got popped in the snake boots by one. He was hid well, never rattled. I knew what it was as soon as he hit me. half mile from the truck, 45 minutes from the nearest hospital and by myself. Puts things in perspective.

We have a ton of hogs now and don't see near as many as we used to. And from what I hear....this is one reason they aren't rattling as much.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
I'll kill EVERY rattler I can.
Particularly after losing a baby calf, a young yearling, and having a horse bit - needing treatment.
The horse was permanently injured - seemed to lose stamina, strength, and I think it damaged his eyesight. He died pretty young, also.

I've always been a curmudgeon - now I'm an old curmudgeon.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by hanco
You are supposed to kill them in Texas either. There is a lot of them on my old lease by Woodville Texas. I’ve only seen one in 40 plus years at my house. I live in the piney woods.

[Linked Image]

Is Texas afraid they're going to run out of rattlesnakes? grin

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Was at the zoo last weekend was really surprised to learn how many species of rattlesnakes are in Mexico. Some really colorful too.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by killerv
Originally Posted by kid0917
eastern DB, nice one!

the one you replied to is not an eastern DB

timber rattler??

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Never seen one here where I live, but a man got bit by a timber rattler earlier this summer about 18 miles or so from me. They seem to prefer the heavily wooded and rocky areas in the north part of the county I'm in. Never heard of one being killed here in farm country, but I would think that they could be around.

I don't like snakes, and if I catch one in and around the yard or the buildings, I don't usually give them a pass unless they're a little garter snake.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

We have three different types of rattlesnakes in SE Georgia. Diamond Backs, Canebrake (timber rattlers) and Pigmy rattlesnakes. I don't think I have ever heard the word docile used in the same sentence with any of the three. Some might be more aggressive than others, but it seems to be on an individual snake to snake basis. If they are shedding their skin they don't put up with much either. But docile isn't a word I'd use with a rattlesnake. Always possible in other areas I guess...

Harry
F
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by Mathsr

We have three different types of rattlesnakes in SE Georgia. Diamond Backs, Canebrake (timber rattlers) and Pigmy rattlesnakes. I don't think I have ever heard the word docile used in the same sentence with any of the three. Some might be more aggressive than others, but it seems to be on an individual snake to snake basis. If they are shedding their skin they don't put up with much either. But docile isn't a word I'd use with a rattlesnake. Always possible in other areas I guess...

Docile my a s s.....

Must be cold early morning for them to be “docile”

Again, f u c k e rs die in my hood....

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Mathsr

they are quite docile after four or five rounds of 12guage in them

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by jorgeI
Originally Posted by Sasha_and_Abby

A. They were in the yard/orchard
B.and within five feet of my dogs..and coiled/rattling
C.Yes they both were Timber rattlers.

Those are right to be dead.

IMHO

Carpe' Scrotum
F
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by mark shubert
I'll kill EVERY rattler I can.
Particularly after losing a baby calf, a young yearling, and having a horse bit - needing treatment.
The horse was permanently injured - seemed to lose stamina, strength, and I think it damaged his eyesight. He died pretty young, also.

Sorry for that.

I’m in the same camp....

Kill em all

I would hate to have my kids or anyone’s kids get tagged by them..

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My cousin stepped on one Turkey hunting a few years back.
Said he knew what it was the instant he felt that solid but soft
round thing under his foot.

"Jumped like a cat, screamed lik e a girl" his words.

Lucky it was chilly, it wasn't fast enough to bite him.

Surprises me way more people don't get bitten spring Turkey hunting.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

233 members (260Remguy, 10gaugemag, 1minute, 204guy, 2500HD, 41 invisible), 2,214 guests, and 1,008 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,650
Posts18,512,604
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.