Page 12 of 13 1 2 10 11 12 13
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by FieldGrade
Originally Posted by chlinstructor
Originally Posted by TnBigBore
Bologna and white bread.

Cornbread and milk.

I could live on bologna and white bread. Or beans & cornbread.

But when I was a kid Grandma used to gross me out drinking soured buttermilk with cornbread in it. 🤮

I'm not sure what "soured" buttermilk is but I loves me some cornbread chunked up in a bowl of buttermilk.

Cornbread crumbled into a glass of ice cold whole milk is one of my favorite foods. But, it has to be real cornbread baked in an iron skillet and it can't have any sugar or flour in it.

Always remember that you are unique, just like everyone else.
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Wiener water soup.

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
[Linked Image]

hardly any work at all

[Linked Image]

Last edited by las; 09/10/19.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Robert_White
For me, first it is pinto beans and cornbread.

Ate so much of this growing up it was coming out my ears.

Now it’s what I ask for my bday meal, we dress it up w fried potatoes and salad now, but that’s the main course

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
i asked my slavic grandfather why he came to this country in the beginnings of the last century. He said he really didn't know what the United States was, but it had to be better than the village he came from, where every winter people starved to death.
i remember a big ham in a pan setting on top of the wood fired stove as a kid, him and grandmother were spooning out the congealed grease to spread on home made bread before touching the ham. You need fat in your diet, it was a luxury in the old country.
My mother came through the depression not knowing there was a depression, they never had any money anyway. But they farmed pinto beans. She said you trade for anything with pinto's.
i could live very well with a big sack of pinto's, which i keep in stock, and tortilla's, my wife makes them.
that and given her southern heritage is cornbread in a skillet.
During college, i used to manage to feed myself on about three dollars a day. you just have to look around.
another family relative was in the german army in russia. he managed to live. he described living on erzatz bread after the war ended. basically bread made with sawdust. he said it was a real treat to get one spoonful of lard per week.
These people were survivors.

Last edited by RoninPhx; 09/10/19.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
IC B2

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Originally Posted by stxhunter
i love buttermilk, drink a quart a week, but got to stop since i started this keto diet, to lose weight... no beer either.

There are a few beers you can drink on keto, but not many, and those you can will likely not satisfy. Way too watery for me.

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
I'd rather have tap water than those so called beers, keto or not.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
yeah i needed to stop anyway beer is why i gained the weight to begin with.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
I'm cutting my beer consumption by replacement. Every other one is replaced by a big glass of water.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by mathman
I'm cutting my beer consumption by replacement. Every other one is replaced by a big glass of water.

ha, been months since i had water, just beer. drinking tea now.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
IC B3

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Budget food or bug out food....Fried taters with whatever added..

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by RoninPhx

During college, i used to manage to feed myself on about three dollars a day.

I can feed me and my 20 yr old son together on that today and have been off and on during the summer.

Local mom and pop grocery had oscar meyer hot dogs .99cent a pack. They got no-name hot dog buns also .99 cents a pack. I grabbed about 25 packs of them and dropped them in the freezer.

Family size bag of generic potato chips from Aldi for $1.89. Bottles of spring water.

😄👍👍

When we get sick of hot dogs, we can always use them for giving the dogs their pro-biotic.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
I'd get a job.

Camp is where you make it.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I married Ebenezer Sue so that I wouldn't have to make decisions like this.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
Well I remember back when Walmart started selling their Great Value brand bean soup for 50 cents a can, it was on the shelf next to the Campbells at $1.38 a can. Near as my taste buds can tell it is the same stuff, just like one week they run Wallyworld labels and the next week Campbells but the same soup just a label change. Ain't to bad if you put some black pepper on it. Real good, fact is you make 2 cans a time throwing some mixed frozen vegtables and a half pound of ground beef, venison , antelope etc. Seasoned with garlic powder and some cayenne it's great. Guy can add noodles or rice or other things ever onct and awhile for variety. Can eat all right for $30-40 dollars a month and not starve. good way to lose a little weight. One time I went to the check out with 30 cans a bean soup in my cart and a bag of dog food. The gal that was the cashier said your dog is eating better than you are, I said rightly so her nose is better and she finds the birds I eat with the bean soup. Did I find everything I was looking for? Yep I said got it all, don't need anymore rubber dogshit from Walmart today. Going to Walmart is entertaining , kinda like crossing a zoo with a freak show. But onct every 2 weeks or so is often enough for me. All the other grocery store in this town make you have a membership card or screw you on the price you gotta pay f'em. MB

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
What do you eat when the budget is tight?

Shadow soup

Be Polite , Be Professional , but have a plan to kill everybody you meet
-General James Mattis United States Marine Corps

Nothing is darker than a mau mau's moo moo.
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
One hot meal a day, a bowl of steam.

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Robert White: To tell the truth it has been so long since my budget "has been tight" that I don't remember.
I am thankful for that.
I like Spam and agree with the above poster, it is NOT cheap anymore!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
The corned beef in the trapezoidal can is also quite expensive these days.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Mac n cheese with ground venison in it and a little pepper. still like to eat it when I'm not broke and the cost is pretty low. Can't stand ramen or spam or other "traditional" broke foods.

Beware of any old man in a profession where one usually dies young.

Calm seas don't make sailors.
Page 12 of 13 1 2 10 11 12 13

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

572 members (10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 007FJ, 1badf350, 1234, 16penny, 64 invisible), 2,572 guests, and 1,353 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,465
Posts18,471,363
Members73,934
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.