Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
O
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
O
Originally Posted by 700LH
Originally Posted by Odin1
I found a still of a female officer holding the "pipe" up with one hand, looks to be a light thin metal.
I couldn't weight much the way she is holding it.
Fat thinks he is bad azzed cowardly Cop forced the situation then murdered the guy

What are you going to do when your head gets hit by that light pipe and causes a brain bleed and you then die?

If the guy with the pipe attacked it would be a completely different story, He didn't the cop forced the confrontation.
Are you really that daft, or just pretending to be?

Are you going to answer my question about the brain bleed?

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I did, reread it , maybe after several times you'll understand

O
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
O
I did, reread it , maybe after several times you'll understand

No you didn't because the guy did swing at the cop.

You're an idiot if you think a pipe can't cause a brain bleed.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by lvmiker
Is that what they teach in Texas? shooting to wound and retreat are well proven strategies according to the doctrine taught by M. Ayoob and the heavy hitters of the 1970s.

mike r

I couldn’t open the video but I concur that if this whole incident just took just a few seconds then indeed I’m gonna side with the Cop. It’s real easy to quarterback when you’re sitting watching something from the safety of your living room, if the guy is a threat then he’s still a threat until he’s down on the ground and maybe so even then.

But shoot to wound? Who ever said that? All I’ve ever read was shoot to stop, center mass, lethal or not.

If we’re going to shoot to wound, why stop there? Let’s just shoot the pipe or gun whatever out of the bad guy’s hand like in the movies.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
guy is still alive.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Here’s a youtube....

Big guy swinging a long object, shooting over in seconds.

In hindsight coulda been handled different but IMHO a justified shoot.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper
Possibly, how do you interpret Colorado's laws regarding self defense and use of deadly force? If you were attacked by a man wielding a steel pipe what would you do?
mike r

Your legal hypothesis that " his future was dictated by his past actions", doesn't work in this state. Colorado law is clear, if your opponent disengages from the conflict, you have to stop all aggressive action. If you continue, you are now the aggressor, and the one who will need a good attorney.

Not a legal hypothesis at all, normal human reaction to a known threat. The aggression did not stop until the shooting commenced and was finalized in a couple of seconds. The question remains, what would you do if attacked in a similar manner? And yes I have a very good lawyer, and avoid Colorado.

mike r

The most important weapon is the one atop your shoulders.

As a civilian, he's holding a large, unwieldy weapon and doesn't know how to use it. So I'll work to create space, stay out of it's reach, and if possible, put something, like a vehicle, between us. Let him swing it a few times and wear himself out, and either walk away, or after one of those big ungainly swings, close and disarm.

If things got out of hand, you do what you have to, but nothing more. Shoot until the threat is stopped, which does not include shooting an unarmed man in the back as he's walking away.

As a cop, most of the same principles would apply. The difference is I'd have less lethal options available, and the opportunity for backup, preferable someone who could give him a bean bag to the face.

You make many assumptions about the attack unsupported by the 5 relevant seconds shown in the video. Your plan to be afforded the time and opportunity to make space and let the attacker wear himself out is fatuous to the point of ridiculous. The cop was obviously attacked by what was determined to be and appeared at the time to be, a deadly weapon. The perpetrator created a deadly force situation by his action. Whether the cop shot the bg too many times will be determined by those w/ more evidence than is available here at this time. How many times should the cop let the bg hit him while waiting for backup, which less lethal weapon should be used when attacked by a deadly weapon.

Again, to all those responding; If you or a family member are attacked by a person wielding a steel pipe what is your response plan? The person w/ the pipe is attacking, not just threatening. You perceive that you or other innocent persons [to include your family] are in imminent jeopardy of death or great bodily harm. You have 2 seconds to assess and respond.

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher
Here’s a youtube....

Big guy swinging a long object, shooting over in seconds.

In hindsight coulda been handled different but IMHO a justified shoot.

Technically, a good shoot, so the cop gets off fine, but the guy with the pole didn’t seem all that serious a threat, due either to being high or a klutz. The cop had alternatives, but due to intensive training to shoot as soon as a certain fact pattern appears, he shot instead of seeking an alternative approach. But, again, technically justified.

L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by jaguartx
One should wait until you can analyze the sound of the object bouncing off your melon before taking action.

A simple question for the members: If a stranger yielding a large object threatens you or your family what is your planned response?

mike r

So, if you shoot a deranged guy who drops his club and turns and stumbles several steps and falls over then you can walk up to him and put a few in the brain?

Your words, no one elses.

mike r

Wish you were better

Craig Douglas ECQC
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The delay before the last shot doesn’t look good.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B3

L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
One should wait until you can analyze the sound of the object bouncing off your melon before taking action.

A simple question for the members: If a stranger yielding a large object threatens you or your family what is your planned response?

mike r

Are we the same as the cops then??

Same question, but you are a cop. What would you do?

mike r

Hard to say. I have no training as a cop. No de-escalation training.

Maybe shoot him? Maybe not?

As an EMT I have a license to practice medicine. I cant go around flibbity jibbiting.

A lay person has no such licence. Barring using an axe to cut off a limb to control a bleed....they are not held to the same standard in court.

So ,I dont know.

People sure do seem to have a big appetite for killing.

What license is needed. If a deadly threat chooses to come to you or your family, maybe you will shoot or maybe not, you will probably decide based on the threat and will hopefully be granted time to exercise all possible actions. Probably not a good time for flibbity jibbiting.

mike r

Wish you were better

Craig Douglas ECQC
N
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Here’s a youtube....

Trying to tell you all, ghetto ass popeyes chicken sammich is seasoned with bath salts.

This doesn't happen at chick fil a.

Something clever here.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by northern_dave
Here’s a youtube....

Trying to tell you all, ghetto ass popeyes chicken sammich is seasoned with bath salts.

This doesn't happen at chick fil a.

You can't get red beans and rice at the chick fil a yo, that shixt be da bomb.

Just watched the YouTube. Good shoot.

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
https://www.kristv.com/news/local-n...vGPueQV_g3xj85fN_jg5Bp0WzZgSrenGVbQi-EbA

CORPUS CHRISTI, Texas — Corpus Christi Police have confirmed that the man armed with a metal pipe who was shot by a police officer yesterday will be charged with felony aggravated assault on a police officer.

KRIS-TV's Greg Chandler reports the man is expected to survive, but CCPD won't release his identity until he's arrested and booked.

Check back for more information on this report throughout the day.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J

mike r

Are we the same as the cops then??

Same question, but you are a cop. What would you do?

mike r

Hard to say. I have no training as a cop. No de-escalation training.

Maybe shoot him? Maybe not?

As an EMT I have a license to practice medicine. I cant go around flibbity jibbiting.

A lay person has no such licence. Barring using an axe to cut off a limb to control a bleed....they are not held to the same standard in court.

So ,I dont know.

People sure do seem to have a big appetite for killing.

What license is needed. If a deadly threat chooses to come to you or your family, maybe you will shoot or maybe not, you will probably decide based on the threat and will hopefully be granted time to exercise all possible actions. Probably not a good time for flibbity jibbiting.

mike r

I just dont think the whole 'what would YOU have done" is a fair question.

I am not a cop.

Also would not ask a cop or a ordinary citizen what would they do at a structure fire.

JMO.

Last edited by Jim_Conrad; 09/11/19.

I am MAGA.
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by stxhunter
https://www.kristv.com/news/local-n...vGPueQV_g3xj85fN_jg5Bp0WzZgSrenGVbQi-EbA

CORPUS CHRISTI, Texas — Corpus Christi Police have confirmed that the man armed with a metal pipe who was shot by a police officer yesterday will be charged with felony aggravated assault on a police officer.

KRIS-TV's Greg Chandler reports the man is expected to survive, but CCPD won't release his identity until he's arrested and booked.

Check back for more information on this report throughout the day.

After re-watching that video and the way he swings the object, I wouldn't be surprised if the guys name is Corky...

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Possibly, how do you interpret Colorado's laws regarding self defense and use of deadly force? If you were attacked by a man wielding a steel pipe what would you do?
mike r

Your legal hypothesis that " his future was dictated by his past actions", doesn't work in this state. Colorado law is clear, if your opponent disengages from the conflict, you have to stop all aggressive action. If you continue, you are now the aggressor, and the one who will need a good attorney.

Not a legal hypothesis at all, normal human reaction to a known threat. The aggression did not stop until the shooting commenced and was finalized in a couple of seconds. The question remains, what would you do if attacked in a similar manner? And yes I have a very good lawyer, and avoid Colorado.

mike r

The most important weapon is the one atop your shoulders.

As a civilian, he's holding a large, unwieldy weapon and doesn't know how to use it. So I'll work to create space, stay out of it's reach, and if possible, put something, like a vehicle, between us. Let him swing it a few times and wear himself out, and either walk away, or after one of those big ungainly swings, close and disarm.

If things got out of hand, you do what you have to, but nothing more. Shoot until the threat is stopped, which does not include shooting an unarmed man in the back as he's walking away.

As a cop, most of the same principles would apply. The difference is I'd have less lethal options available, and the opportunity for backup, preferable someone who could give him a bean bag to the face.

You make many assumptions about the attack unsupported by the 5 relevant seconds shown in the video. Your plan to be afforded the time and opportunity to make space and let the attacker wear himself out is fatuous to the point of ridiculous. The cop was obviously attacked by what was determined to be and appeared at the time to be, a deadly weapon. The perpetrator created a deadly force situation by his action. Whether the cop shot the bg too many times will be determined by those w/ more evidence than is available here at this time. How many times should the cop let the bg hit him while waiting for backup, which less lethal weapon should be used when attacked by a deadly weapon.

Again, to all those responding; If you or a family member are attacked by a person wielding a steel pipe what is your response plan? The person w/ the pipe is attacking, not just threatening. You perceive that you or other innocent persons [to include your family] are in imminent jeopardy of death or great bodily harm. You have 2 seconds to assess and respond.

mike r

That's why it's beneficial to have good mental, hand, and foot skills so you have options other than just plugging the guy full of holes, which, is seems like the only response you will accept.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Firearm's the great equalizer.

Some people need ta use one to be equal to a whacked-out imbecile 10 feet away, swingin a plastic pipe.

D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
I'm not sure what I would do in that situation, but if some guy came at me with a gun drawn, and all I had was a pipe, I might try to hit him too.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by dassa
I'm not sure what I would do in that situation, but if some guy came at me with a gun drawn, and all I had was a pipe, I might try to hit him too.

Looks like what the BG was doing. He's clearly backing up during the video as the officer closes with weapon presented. Actually looks like BG is swinging at the officers extended weapon not the officer. Why's the cop walking into the conflict with weapon extended when he's already at a distance measured in single digit feet? Trying to get into muzzle contact? Don't make good sense to hold your handgun out into striking distance of BG. What's the point of closure to fist fight distance with your handgun leading the way? And that ain't much of a "steel pipe". Yeah, BG's a DA for bringing a baton to a gun fight. But personally wouldn't want that particular officer serving the public on my street.

“When Tyranny becomes Law, Rebellion becomes Duty”

Colossians 3:17 (New King James Version)
"And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him."
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

565 members (160user, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 1234, 10gaugeman, 01Foreman400, 52 invisible), 2,412 guests, and 1,234 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,520
Posts18,472,548
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.