-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
The worst thing about Walmart doing this is they are in the multi-nation corporations club that wants globalism and a big component of that is getting rid of individual firearms ownership in the US. That's what this is about. There is no way Walmart is doing it due to bad publicity or some crock of shixt. They make money selling guns and accessories.

The big boys screw each other over all the time though. If we get through this latest bs with the big boys going after our guns, Walmart will break and start selling everything again.

FWIW Walmart discontinued AR's about two or three years ago.

I don't have any inherent loyalty to the mom and pop rapists dealing guns around here anyway, but Walmart's stock is usually of little interest to me.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by slumlord
I would like to travel to this mystical universe where awesome LGS are.

Yeah, me too.

There used to be one in Hoptown many years ago, Fritz Sporting Goods, owned by a distant cousin of my family. He had a good selection, and a fair price. But, when he retired, the new owners soon went under.

Those on here who bitch and moan about how they wish Walmart would cease to exist so the mom and pop stores could come back, are also the ones that are still watching TV on their 1959 RCA Black and White set with the 19 inch screen, and wishing IKE could run again. I'll be the first to admit that I miss the nostalgia and the care free times when I was growing up, and every little spot in the road had one or tow country stores, ran by a mom and pop. But the fact is that most of these places charged much higher prices than other stores, and took advantage of people who had no place else to shop. That part is something that I don't miss.

I have bought a number of guns at Walmart...........after they either put them on clearance or discounted them heavily. Most of the guns that I like are guns that Walmart doesn't sell, and anyway, I buy mine through the family gun business anyway. But, there are people who shop at Walmart, who can't afford to buy a high price deer rifle, and have to put them on layaway in order to pay for them. So, there is an outlet for Walmart selling guns, and a certain segment of the population who depends on that.

The bottom line.....it's your dollar, spend it where you want to, but don't try and tell someone else where to spend theirs, because it's none of your business.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Take away all the retail shops, buy factory direct at a REAL gunshow, instead of a beef jerky convention.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J

Originally Posted by slumlord
I would like to travel to this mystical universe where awesome LGS are.

Whittaker's.

Darrel started out in a garage next door to their house back in the mid-late '80s when not only Walmart but Kmart, Sears and even Western Auto were still selling guns, too.
Sears, Kmart and Western Auto are all gone now.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Lots of ways to consider the points in that article...both pro and con for big "chain" stores and small "family" stores. The article only considers 1 viewpoint.

I'm willing to pay a little more for quality and support from a family store. That said, all to often the chain store just out prices them and even out supports them after the sale.

A lot of the folks on this forum (probably most) are going to be more knowledgeable about firearms than their local shops. Many local shops have very limited stock...and it may not be what you're wanting. I've come to realize the best way I can support them is to do a transfer through them...little overhead/cost, decent profit for them.

I reload most everything except rimfire but it was nice to pick up an occasional box of whatever at Walmart for 2/3 (sometimes 1/2) the price it would cost for the same stuff at a local gun shop. It was convenient and cheaper if I just wanted to try a single box of something to use Walmart.

I agree with the folks saying Walmart was never a gun store....but they were not anti-gun either. Now they have taken an anti-gun stance and it makes a big difference to me.

In the end (for any product), I still want to buy from the "family" store and I try look there first....but if they are out priced and the support they offer isn't substantial or needed it's hard to not go with the convenience of the "chain" store.

IC B2

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Originally Posted by bigwhoop
Originally Posted by jaguartx
Originally Posted by bigwhoop
The Walmarts in the Twin City area look like you were transported to Mogadishu.

It's how they remember 9-11. whistle

Yes! "When some people did something".

"Oh, what does it matter now?"

Like chtbirds flock together.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by gr8fuldoug
I just read today's Outdoor Wire and in it is this article:

FEATURE
Walmart Never Was a Gun Store

A lot of folks are outraged at Walmart discontinuing the sale of ARs and now certain kinds of ammunition. I guess they feel like this monster corporation has betrayed them, and that we should boycott or punish them for not supporting the Second Amendment. Well, um, we should have never started buying our gun stuff there in the first place. We abandoned real gun stores for convenience, and to save a couple dollars. Gun stores went out of business, and here we are.

I could care less. In fact, it would not bother me if Walmart stopped selling guns and gun and hunting related accessories all together. They’ve never been a real gun/hunting store anyway. Though I’m sure there are exceptions, those behind the counter are, in most cases, not qualified to sale or even handle a gun, and I doubt any of them know the difference between a caliber and a cartridge. And based on my experience; their enthusiasm for customer care almost equals my interest in cat videos.

When I was growing up there was a local bait & tackle/gun shop about two miles from my house. On weekends—during my paper route—I’d stop there on my bike. The guy behind the counter would let me look at and fondle the guns that interested me, and he even knew a thing or two about firearms…and young boys. I could usually talk him out of some part I needed, that was just lying in the clutter on his workbench. (If you grew up near my hometown—and are older than 50—you will remember Ray’s Bait Shop. I’d rather go back there for one hour than spend a day in Cabela’s.)

We’ve seen the death of the local gun shop. With that, we’ve lost places where real and practical knowledge could be dispensed. Walmart has contributed to this near extinction; they retail firearms so cheap the local guy cannot compete. (Few realize how small profit margins are on guns.) What they fail to deliver is service—service before, during, and most importantly, after the sale. And those conducting the sale do not have the experience to get that feeling when someone is trying to buy a gun with possible bad intentions in mind. (You do realize an FFL dealer can deny a sale to anyone they think might be a danger, don’t you? Local gun shop owners take this seriously.)

And then there’s the knowledge they do not have to share. Local gun shops are operated by folks who are experienced with, and passionate about, what they do and the things they sale. That passion carries over to the customer. The absence of that passion is like a cancer to the gun and hunting industry. It’s why Walmart could care less about your firearms or hunting interests—they have none of their own. It’s also the reason some gun manufactures are struggling; they hired management types from other industries who lack our passion.

Be mad at Walmart if you like, I could care less what they sale. When I buy gun stuff I’m going to buy it from a guy who smells like Hoppe’s #9, a guy who was installing a trigger on a rifle that morning, a guy who closed his shop early yesterday to go to the range, a guy who frequently has a shop full of like-minded folks bitching about anti-gunners, a guy who knows what a pre-64 model 70 is, who Jeff Cooper was, and who actually gives a [bleep] if I hit what I shoot at, or ever come back in his shop again.

With this help from Walmart the local gun shop can once again be real. With all the new gun owners in our ranks, they’ve never been needed more than right now!

You think Walmart is a gun store? Well, bless your heart. You’ve never been in a real gun store, have you?

what you actually ment was that you couldent care less... everyone makes that mistake....

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Oldman3
But to me the issue isn't that Wal-Mart is a schitty gun store, its that Wal-Mart, the largest retailer in America has taken a stand against 2A.

This ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Yup.

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by 12344mag
Originally Posted by Oldman3
But to me the issue isn't that Wal-Mart is a schitty gun store, its that Wal-Mart, the largest retailer in America has taken a stand against 2A.

This ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Yup.

PREZACTLY. Fugg em! 😡

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I look at what Walmart did as more of a CYA thing than anything having to do with being against the Second Amendment. There were shootings at 2 different Walmarts, and after the one in El Paso, you can damn well bet that the lawyers were lining up to file a lawsuit against Walmart.

They know the lawsuits are coming, and are trying to do something that will hopefully limit the scope of the damage. Can anyone really blame them?

IC B3

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J

Walmart appears to have become more and more of a fence straddler politically based on their party contributions over the past decade.

https://www.opensecrets.org/orgs/totals.php?id=d000000367&cycle=2018

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Just goes to show the hypocrisy of all those American flags Walmart always has around and all their USA schtick. What a crock.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by EthanEdwards
Just goes to show the hypocrisy of all those American flags Walmart always has around and all their USA schtick. What a crock.

Not really. You can love this country and hate guns.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
The selection as of the last 3 yrs at walmart has been mostly crap.

If you go back 8-10 yrs ago, the walmarts here used to have 5-6 Browning gold shotguns, walnut/blue Remington 700s, jap-weatherbys, you know..."decent fare". They even have Colt brand A/Rs. And if you go back to pre AWB, walmart had handguns...a lot of selection.

Not anymore,

Most stocked items now serves the basement budget sportsman aka under $400 crowd.

If LGS are sucking dry-tit over losing that Savage Axis Combo cornpile bubba, they haven't built themselves on a solid business model.

To circle back to my point, if you go back 5 yrs in the universe of Walmart Land, they used to have an unadvertised life hack. If I wanted something special order from an LGS, there was sometimes pissing, moaning, foot dragging , steered selling toward shelved items, and other tactics. Special was always going to be more, more wait, more time, complaining, more moaning.

HOWEVER, I could go down to walmart and ask for the Lipseys or Sportsouth catalog. There was thousands and thousands of makes and models and walmart didn't piss and moan, cry/whine either. No extra markup. Clerk would track it down in a few mins with Lipseys and get it enroute to the store usually with 3-5 days.

THAT, is what kept me out of LGS after I discovered that many years ago.

Oh yeah, and as for "well you get better service from and LGS"
WHAT THE FUGG SERVICE??? Are anyone of you talking about?
Them cutting open the box?? Them bore sighting a scope?? Them handling some sort of problem with the firearm?? No, it would be returned to the manufacturer. What service??
Them mounting a scope?? And charging for it? What a joke. What service???

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by 16bore

Walmart loves MONEY. NOTHING ELSE

If flying American Flags gets the sheeple into their stores to spend more money, those bastards would do it in a heart beat.
Just like all of their “Made in America” signs.
Nothing more than a marketing ploy.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Walmart is a department store. Most of the time if you go in there you cannot find a clerk in the sporting goods area. That's because the managers and assistant managers are always pulling the clerk away to do other things in other departments. NO ONE in walmart takes the sporting goods department seriously. I assume it's because few people hunt or shoot anymore and the sales in sporting goods continues to go down. Sportsmen, hunters and gun guys have been getting marginalized for years and that trend continues.

kwg.

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by chlinstructor
Originally Posted by 16bore

Walmart loves MONEY. NOTHING ELSE

If flying American Flags gets the sheeple into their stores to spend more money, those bastards would do it in a heart beat.
Just like all of their “Made in America” signs.
Nothing more than a marketing ploy.

Walmart is obligated to John Q. Shareholder. Just like EVERY other corporation. The people who own more shares than wares make the decisions and every business decision ends at the bottom line.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
We don't have a walmart, but over labor day weekend went through Missoula where there is one, and I don't know if it was because it was a three day weekend or what, the place was pretty picked over, I didn't go to the gun counter, but the wife figured diapers and formula would be cheaper there, and new shoes for the kids, but no size 1 diapers, only the generic WIC approved baby formula, and not a pair of shoes in the any of the kids size. However, if I wanted pants 12 inches too big I'd been just fine.

�The constitution of the United States asserts that all power is inherent in the people, that they may exercise it by themselves, that it is their right and duty to be at all times armed!� � Thomas Jefferson
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by WyoCowboy
We don't have a walmart, but over labor day weekend went through Missoula where there is one, and I don't know if it was because it was a three day weekend or what, the place was pretty picked over, I didn't go to the gun counter, but the wife figured diapers and formula would be cheaper there, and new shoes for the kids, but no size 1 diapers, only the generic WIC approved baby formula, and not a pair of shoes in the any of the kids size. However, if I wanted pants 12 inches too big I'd been just fine.

Walmart caters to the fat EBT card holders.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
As for me and my house, we choose Whittaker’s.

Actually there used to be a real good outdoors store in Indy named Galyans. But then they decided to open up new stores at the same time Dick’s came into town. So Dicks bought out Galyans and we all got screwed. Locally I still like going down to talk to Doug McPherson at The Outdoorsman. He’s a great guy.

“There are some who can live without wild things and some who cannot.”
ALDO LEOPOLD
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

125 members (44automag, 450yukon, 1_deuce, 30Gibbs, 25 invisible), 1,486 guests, and 1,004 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,747
Posts18,495,209
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.