Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
N
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
N
We have four hummingbird feeders on our back deck this year and we seem to be getting some migrants coming through ‘cause the activity has really picked up the last two weeks. My wife and I were at the table finishing our morning coffee a couple of days ago watching a bunch of hummingbirds in a feeding frenzy and she asked, “I wonder what it would be like if someone put a ‘Go Pro’ on a hummingbird?” 😀

Try to picture that the next time you’re watching them.

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I hang two feeders in Illinois and at their peak had around 20 hummers jockeying for position. Most left here around Labor Day, but I still have about 5 stragglers. I'll send them your way.

Dave
Sticks and stones may break my bones ... but hollow-points expand on impact.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Your ruby-throats are a bit more congenial with others than our black-chinned hummies. My backyard male watches my two feeders from a vantage point and if any other bird tries to feed, he immediately strafes them. The only other birds he allows are his mate and offspring, all of which have now departed. Yesterday, I saw three black-chins engaged in aerial warfare around one feeder: my male and two others - presumably the males of my other two neighborhood families. They're likely the last three local birds left.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Always wondered if feeding them that mix up junk is detrimental or making them dependant on humans.
We are not supposed to feed most other wildlife species. I refuse to maintain any product for them.

I have many hummingbirds at there house even right now. I have have a wall of petunias planted in a 30ft retaining wall for them. Several hanging flowering potted plants they hit and most of all, a walkway and seveal random Rose of Sharon ornamentals they fuss and fight each other all day starting at the crack of daylight.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J

We've got to where we keep a nectar feeder up until around mid October for late stragglers. We've had them still showing up when night temperatures dropped down into the high 40s - low 50s. They don't stay more than a day or two then continue their migration.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have seen my first hummingbird this year at my feeder in the last week here in Oklahoma City.

"All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth." – Robert E. Lee
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by slumlord
Always wondered if feeding them that mix up junk is detrimental or making them dependant on humans.
We are not supposed to feed most other wildlife species.

That may be true.....can't prove it but I'd be willing to bet it's the same crew that hangs out here every summer.

I'd also bet that hanging up a jar of sugar water is pretty low on the list of things humans do that are detrimental to wildlife.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Scads of migrating hummers are moving through right now. At the peak feeding times (just after sunrise and just before sundown) it looks like a bee hive around the three feeders, but there are birds at the feeders all day long. It's been a dry, dry summer here in our valley. The monsoon rains never materialized. We have had right at two inches for the entire year, so far, and one of those inches was from winter rains.

The migrating birds need energy and there is not much of anything native blooming around here. Most of the flowers in our little village are on the trees and shrubs that are irrigated. Here at the house, we have more than most other places. Our roses, desert willows and purple sage get hit pretty hard, but the feeders are clearly providing needed energy. I just provide sugar water, none of the commercial "mix up junk." The birds always seem to move along on time once they get refueled.

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I saw a dog fight yesterday where one knocked the other bird out of the air.... they were low over a flower bed...it took a few seconds for the down combatant to fight it's way back through the stems...…

If hummingbirds were the size of robins, I'd be afraid to go outside.....

Please don't feed the trolls!
T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Is there really a difference between putting up a feeder and planting flowers specifically for the hummers?

"Be sure you're right. Then go ahead." Fess Parker as Davy Crockett
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by toltecgriz
Is there really a difference between putting up a feeder and planting flowers specifically for the hummers?

We have flower baskets for the hummers on the back porch and feeders. 99% time they hit the feeders.
Flowers may be better for butterflies and other insects like bees. So I guess if you are allergic to stings that makes it easy.
I am going to plant 1/2 acre in flower mix and milkweed for butterflies for the hell of it at the end of my land. Just got some milkweed husks. Hummers should dig that.
I am still getting travels at my feeders here in the center of PA, but that is dwindling. The travelers eat and perch more compared to "home" birds. Sad to see them go, but that means the hunting season is closer.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
My resident black-chin, I've named him El Gordo - the fat one, is still here trying to protect the feeders. Yesterday, we had some rubies buzz in and try to feed. Gordo was going crazy trying to fight them all off. I thought the poor little fella was going to have a coronary but he was back just after day light defending his territory again!

“My horn is full and my pouch is stocked with ball and patch. There is a new, sharp flint in my lock and my rifle and I are ready. It is sighted true and my eyes can still aim.”
Kaywoodie
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
With as much food as they've gone through this summer, I decided to call a group of hummingbirds "a glutton".

Carpe' Scrotum
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Used to hang a feeder on the front porch near the kitchen window until we got tired of ducking them. The final straw was having to pull one out of the window screen that it had wedged its beak in. Now hang it on the bell pole out front. From what I've read and observed early in the year they concentrate on local blooms. When rearing young they feed on insects. Late August and right now is when they really hit our feeder.

We pray our sights be straight
and our aim be true
We pray for no pain
to the game we pursue
We thank you Lord
for this land
We thank you for the sights
from our stands
We pray for safety, one and all
We pray we may return next fall
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
They're working these ornamentals right now. Just took this pic 5 mins ago. 3 flared off, one came right back (center of frame 2nd pic)

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Humminbird makes a decent fish finder....LOL

living the good life every day
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
i have 4 feeders out now, usually set out 9 when the ruby's are thick. wife and i love watching them. grand kids do too.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
At this time they're taking close to twelve ounces of nectar a day here. They will migrate out soon I think. It's a feeding frenzy pretty much all day long.

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Originally Posted by slumlord
They're working these ornamentals right now. Just took this pic 5 mins ago. 3 flared off, one came right back (center of frame 2nd pic)

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Fast forward to :50

BA- DOW!!!!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

262 members (17CalFan, 2500HD, 160user, 257 mag, 1OntarioJim, 222Sako, 24 invisible), 1,843 guests, and 957 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,372
Posts18,488,368
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.