Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Locust in the woodshed right now.
Cleared a lot full of it for two houses last year. [bleep]'s hard as woodpecker lips right now.

L
las Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
L
I have gas. So does my fireplace. And my forced air furnace.

Old multi-fuel furnace blew a blower a year ago, dammit. Obsolete, couldn't get parts.

Gas bill dropped 20% with the new one - we only burned wood in the multi-fuel when it dropped below -10.

I liked that old furnace!

At the remote cabin, of course, all we have is wood. Got more blow-down spruce on my 5 acres than I can burn in 50 years at the rate we are using it! ( a week or two in residence annually) Some birch. Skinned a couple logs last summer, for future use. Keeps them from rotting if the bark is off.

OK- I lied. it's nominally 5, but less than 5 acres -- it depends on how high the river is.... One corner is across the river... smile

[Linked Image]

Last edited by las; 09/12/19.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

L
las Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Hey- I could put up a river toll booth on my upstream neighbors! smile

and the dog has become pretty rectangular since.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Kyhilljack
Chevy truck commercial fodder.

[Linked Image]

self loading!

Originally Posted by jorgeI
...Actually Sycamore, you are sort of right....
Campfire Regular
Online Happy
Campfire Regular
I've burned a lot of Poplar at my cabin in Ontario. It lives up to its name - it pops. Sometimes it pops when you open the wood stove door, sending a hot coal quite a distance. My preference is paper birch. I don't think it has that much more heat than poplar, but it wins the contest for the best smelling firewood.

IC B2

L
las Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Dunno about poplar, but birch definately has more BTU's than Aspen, in my case. And I think spruce. Isn't birch a hardwood?

Googled it. As I thought. I knew it held the fire better than spruce...

When I was using it in the multi-fuel furnace, I'd load it at night, before bed. If I really wanted to hold it, I'd put in some less seasoned birch on top.

Creosoating was increased but I had/have two good sets of chimney brushes. Selling cheap - you pay the freight..... smile

Campfire Regular
Online Happy
Campfire Regular
Yes, birch is considered a hardwood, but just barely. I'm sure someone will post up a chart of the BTU's of various firewood.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by Quak
Popal is junk.

Appropriatley named. Pops like crazy. Not for open fireplaces. Burns fast, lots of ash, blows hot coals out. Keep it.

“When Tyranny becomes Law, Rebellion becomes Duty”

Colossians 3:17 (New King James Version)
"And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him."
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I miss having the hardwoods available I grew up around in deepest, darkest Appalachia. About the only thing we have in abundance in AK is spruce and birch. A friend of mine burns a lot of tamarack. It's a little denser than spruce and holds a fire pretty well. There'll be coals in the morning from tamarack that won't be there from spruce. Most folks burn mostly spruce and hold their birch supply in reserve for those -40 F cold snaps.

[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]

Z
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A load of tamarack
[Linked Image]

Split, in the shed, and ready for winter. Have about a 6 years supply curing around the place.
[Linked Image]

Yes, there are many superior hardwoods, but we live in the PNW.

1Minute
IC B3

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Wow I would need a lot of wood to last 6 years.

I like to do my hunting BEFORE I pull the trigger!
There is only one kind of dead, but there are many different kinds of wounded.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by simonkenton7
https://www.hearth.com/talk/forums/the-hearth-room-wood-stoves-and-fireplaces.6/

Here is the wood stove forum. I have been burning wood stoves since 1972. I have had 7 wood stoves, three of which I built myself.
I thought I knew it all, but 10 years ago I joined this forum and these gear heads really took me to school.

Not just this forum there are others on this web site, I often go to "The Wood Shed" where we talk about various kinds of firewood and how to build a good wood shed.

SEVEN wood stoves??? Yikes. I've had exactly two - and the second one that I use now is only about 3 years old. The first one lasted over 40 years.....and frankly, I still miss it because it would really, REALLY put out the heat if it was necessary..

Poplar's not used around here simply because the area is rich in oak, maple, ash and ironwood..

Last edited by Redneck; 09/13/19.

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
Yes, y'all boys in Oregon and Washington have it tough. I lived up there for a year, in eastern Washington near Idaho, all they had was pine to burn. They thought I was making it up when I told them about oak.

I am in the North Carolina mountains. I burn lots of oak and hickory. The bad news: Twenty years ago the locust blight killed all the locust trees. The good news: There is lots of dry dead locust. Locust is the best firewood in the state.

[Linked Image]
Last month I cut up this big boy. This is the biggest locust I have ever cut, usually it runs 10 to 12 inches.

[Linked Image]
I cut it and my brother split it. We both got a truck load. This is the finest truck load I have ever gotten, locust with no rot and nearly dry enough to burn. Moisture content 21 percent, we need 17 percent to burn well.

[Linked Image]

N
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
N
For the task of creating heat and holding a fire, tamarack is hard to beat. (not putting it up against oak, elm, ash) just from what I have an abundance of which would be jack pine, tamarack, spruce, poplar and birch. Birch is my fav to burn and to cut. But I can't beat the overall efficiency of tamarack.

Something clever here.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by 1minute
A load of tamarack
[Linked Image]

Split, in the shed, and ready for winter. Have about a 6 years supply curing around the place.
[Linked Image]

Yes, there are many superior hardwoods, but we live in the PNW.

Did.....did....you put all them logs back together in the wood shed after you split them or are my eyes deceiving me???

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by slumlord
I'd only be worried about it tickling the 6900 across the street.

NGAF about phone lines

As for burning popular, probably burns better than that sissyfied western fir, heating with juniper. Lmao

You are hilarious.

What kinda brain germ did you pick up down t' the Golden Corral or China King buffet?

Burning "popular". laugh

Yep, that "popular" does burn better than sissiyfied fir and juniper..........................burns right up, little heat per cord comparatively.

Like I said......................hilarious! laugh

Geno

PS, you won't run this old guy. wink

PPS how many ricks you figger in that big ol' tree? smile

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by simonkenton7
Yes, y'all boys in Oregon and Washington have it tough. I lived up there for a year, in eastern Washington near Idaho, all they had was pine to burn. They thought I was making it up when I told them about oak.

I am in the North Carolina mountains. I burn lots of oak and hickory. The bad news: Twenty years ago the locust blight killed all the locust trees. The good news: There is lots of dry dead locust. Locust is the best firewood in the state.

[Linked Image]
Last month I cut up this big boy. This is the biggest locust I have ever cut, usually it runs 10 to 12 inches.

[Linked Image]
I cut it and my brother split it. We both got a truck load. This is the finest truck load I have ever gotten, locust with no rot and nearly dry enough to burn. Moisture content 21 percent, we need 17 percent to burn well.

[Linked Image]

I've still got 3-4 years worth of standing dead locust, burned mostly oak last year that was gifted/delivered in pole lengths.
Could hardly believe the difference in how much faster the stove filled with ash with oak vs locust.

FJB & FJT
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Hey Geno, does that juniper make a man's house smell like cat piss when it's burning??

😄😄

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
We use black locust for fence posts.

Honey locust has those big thorns on it aka Debble's walking stick. I leave those for the deer. They eat the bean pods late season.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by slumlord
Hey Geno, does that juniper make a man's house smell like cat piss when it's burning??

😄😄

Nope, all that stuff I stacked in the woodshed smells like cedar. Which is probably why folks like to call it that.

Beware the "Cedar People" living in N AZ, out in the junipers. On 40's they bought on a broken up subdivided ranch. Some of 'em live in teepees and tents .................20 years after they bought their property.

Geno

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

535 members (10Glocks, 219 Wasp, 21, 1minute, 260madman, 1OntarioJim, 54 invisible), 2,407 guests, and 1,208 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,431
Posts18,489,256
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.