Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by shootem
Under typical conditions around here, blazing speed just creates more instant aspic

For real. Discovered a 130gr Accubond over 60 gr H4831SC makes a godawful mess of a deer with a shoulder shot. Son shot a couple there at under 100 yds. Went back to his 7x57.

You don't have to fill the case with powder!

GB1

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by shootem
Under typical conditions around here, blazing speed just creates more instant aspic

For real. Discovered a 130gr Accubond over 60 gr H4831SC makes a godawful mess of a deer with a shoulder shot. Son shot a couple there at under 100 yds. Went back to his 7x57.

You don't have to fill the case with powder!

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Forty or more years ago, you weren't worth damn in Wyoming if you did't shoot a 270 for Elk. We shot a boat load with 150 Core Lock's off the self in a factory Remington box. Once I started hand loading we tried the Nosler Partitions and after several Elk we all decided there wasn't much difference and went back to the old Remingtons. I haven't shot them in a long while, but something never change.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by Blacktailer
I've found 60gr of RL26 under a 145ELDX gives over 3100fps MV. Who needs a 7RM?

What kind of long range groups did you get?

HMM-161, HMM-364
Semper Fi Brothers
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
I could not get the 145 eldx to group worth a darn, 1.5" at best with 4831 SC.

IC B2

J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by Ready
As the Grand Poobah is fond to hearing stated, the .270 Win. is the cat's meow in cartridge tech.

Its what the 7x57 Mauser was aimed to be upon conception, but never achieved in practise - hence hiding under the 275 Rigby moniker in some jurisdictions.

It is just so, that the .270 Winchester is so much more just so.

This^^^. My brother killed so many bull elk with my post 64 fwt schnable and 140 Frontier Hornadys InterLock I had to make him a deal on it. Dayom I miss that gun and cartridge.

I shot one buck head on in the chest. Bullet was a lump under the skin on the rump and fell out when the butt was peeled.

Another good buck jumped from its bed and ran dead away. A Texas heart shot ended his day. Hanging to skin it and the bullet was a lump under the skin on the neck and fell out when it was peeled.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Glad you liked the article!

Am going to be publishing some more HANDLOADER articles along the same line with more popular cartridges. The next one up is the 7mm Remington Magnum.

Waiting for the ones on the 308 and 30-06.

Okie John

Originally Posted by Brad
If Montana had a standing army, a 270 Win with Federal Blue Box 130's would be the standard issue.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by okie john

Am going to be publishing some more HANDLOADER articles along the same line with more popular cartridges. The next one up is the 7mm Remington Magnum.

Waiting for the ones on the 308 and 30-06.

Okie John

The "science is settled" on those.😛

What fresh Hell is this?
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Switch,

Actually, somethings do change.

Forty years ago Pointed Soft-Point Core-Lokts has MUCH heavier jackets along the shank the of the bullet than they do now, the reason the acted much like Partitions. They don't have those heavy jackets anymore. The change occurred in the early 1990s.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Will see what RL-16 does this weekend. Loaded some up. 4831 has seemed to be the best so far, with 4350 second, but only with Barnes 140 TSX. Sako 85.

IC B3

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Switch,

Actually, somethings do change.

Forty years ago Pointed Soft-Point Core-Lokts has MUCH heavier jackets along the shank the of the bullet than they do now, the reason the acted much like Partitions. They don't have those heavy jackets anymore. The change occurred in the early 1990s.

That's a shame, I didn't realize of this change. As I said I haven't used them in awhile. Most of my hunting theses days is with a Bob and Nosler Ballistic Tips'.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
These days Ballistic Tips are tougher than Core-Lokts. We have had great luck with the 100 and 115-grain BT's in the .257 Roberts for quite a while now.

The exception might be the round-nose Core-Lokts. Those retained the heavy shank-jacket after the PSP's did not--but I haven't bought any in quite a while, so dunno.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M

I'll be looking forward to that one. At one point I had several 7Mags. Killed a bunch of game with them. Somehow they all got away from me. Feels like I need to get another one.

Jim
T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Don't need a drop tube with H4831SC.

True, my friend, but when you have as much H4831 as I do, I still drop it. It's an embarrassment of riches.

"Be sure you're right. Then go ahead." Fess Parker as Davy Crockett
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Help me out here guys. I have only shot six deer in my 69 years and my mediocre hunting career. All of them were Alaska's little Sika Black-tailed island deer and all were does. Because of the islands brown bear population I carried a 30-06 and 165 grain Partitions, one neck shot and five lung shots. All the deer ran like heck for about forty yards and fell over. I mean they scooted and I was thankful for the snow and blood trail. Those little suckers ran further then any moose I have ever shot. All bullets passed through the deer and none were over 100 yards when shot.

A friend shot his two deer with a .223 Rem. and some flavor of a 55 grain bullet, another friend used a .270 Win. on two deer and another a .35 Whelan on two deer. All were under 100 yards and one shot kills.

It is my understanding some white tails in the north, like Canada, can be much bigger then in the rest of America. Does it really matter much what expanding bullet one puts through a deer's lungs? Do those Berger's really drop them with a lung shot? Are there any Berger's suitable for big brown bears?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Forty yards isn't excessive for a lung shot, or even a heart/lung shot. I'd say it's actually typical. High shoulder shots drop 'em right there, so they say, but the ones I've made were accidental.

What fresh Hell is this?
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R

Can we put in requests? How about the much overlooked .280 Rem loaded to its full potential? If JOC was having one made at the time of his death, there had to be a reason (and frankly I'd love to know what it was).

I was going to request the 7x57 but I believe you did that one recently.

"An archer sees how far he can be from a target and still hit it, a bowhunter sees how close he can get before he shoots." It is certainly easy to use that same line of thinking with firearms. -- Unknown
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by Pappy348
Just got back from the range after swapping the scope on my FN. 160s land an inch high, 150gr Sierras an inch higher. At 9lbs 14oz, not sure how much field time it's gonna get!

I'm thinking about starting a thread on this very issue. It's been a long hot summer in Florida,and I've been doing some reading about mountain hunting. A lot of the guys that chased sheep in the Asian mountains in the 1980s through the early 2000s were using pretty heavy rifles in serious altitude with rugged terrain. And they were doing so even when lighter rifles were coming into vogue. Today, most of us cringe about hauling a nine pound rifle into a deer stand. Interesting, huh?

"An archer sees how far he can be from a target and still hit it, a bowhunter sees how close he can get before he shoots." It is certainly easy to use that same line of thinking with firearms. -- Unknown
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
As the Grand Poobah is fond to hearing stated, the .270 Win. is the cat's meow in cartridge tech.

Its what the 7x57 Mauser was aimed to be upon conception, but never achieved in practise - hence hiding under the 275 Rigby moniker in some jurisdictions.

It is just so, that the .270 Winchester is so much more just so.

Appearently, the Grand Poobah, Ingwe, Ruler in Chief of the Merry Band of turdlike People, is growing lenient of late.
There is no way, such statement would have gone unchecked and the stater not met with hellfire and brimstone in the olden days.

Shall he henceforce be now known as Maximus the Merciful.

.270 not gay.

Member of the Merry Band of turdlike People.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
, the Grand Poobah, Ingwe, Ruler in Chief of the Merry Band of turdlike People, is growing lenient of late.
There is no way, such statement would have gone unchecked and the stater not met with hellfire and brimstone in the olden days.

I thought I was the only one to notice that.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

100 members (7mm_Loco, 10gaugemag, 2ndwind, 44automag, 673, 18 invisible), 1,485 guests, and 967 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,118
Posts18,483,487
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.