Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I'm going through my backpack kit in prep for an upcoming Oct elk hunt. I'm curious what you all carry as the bare minimum for 2-3 day hunt. I tend to 2-3 day hunts - go in find elk, kill one, get out or dont find elk and move onto spot #2.

I have what I consider the essentials - fire + starter material, emergency blanket (not the cheap tinfoil type), water purification tabs, wound dressing, 1 day food, extra compass, extra batteries. I also pack a a bunch of other items I'm starting to reconsider: small leatherman, various meds, whistle, etc. I've been carrying all this stuff for my hunting and backpacking trips for the past 5-6 years but thinking I could trim it down a bit.

What do you guys consider the bare minimum?

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Hot topic <G>

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
fire + starter material, emergency blanket (not the cheap tinfoil type), water purification tabs, wound dressing, 1 day food, extra compass, extra batteries.

This plus satphone or a SPOT, me thinks.

Member of the Merry Band of turdlike People.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Extra gloves.

Fine sewing needle with dental floss.

Razor blade.

Small tweezers.

Bandaids and gauze.

4 antihistamine tablets.

4 Ibuprofen tablets.

4 antiseptic wipes.

Small magnesium firestarter.

Butane lighter.

Small vial of dryer lint/pine dust/gulf wax.

Toilet paper.

Don't ask me about my military service or heroic acts...most of it is untrue.

Pronoun: Yes, SIR !
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Minimum? Well maybe a PLB and an extra boot lace.

IC B2

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
I don't consider fire/shelter emergency items. That's just normal stuff you take in the outdoors.

Food is always comforting, but you can go a long time without it.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
even when I'm day hunting, I carry enough stuff to get me through a night

appropriate clothing worn PLUS insulating layer, wind/rain gear, fleece mitts/balaclava

I carry a light (12 oz) Apex quilt that has a hole for my head so it can be worn like a poncho if needed- this doubles as emergency quilt and for glassing in cold weather; ditto on a 40" ccf pad- emergency pad, but also use it to sit on glassing/eating lunch/etc

a rather beefy fire kit, ditto on first aid

water/filter

an extra ~ 1500 calories on top of what I'd normally eat

map/compass/gps on phone

headlamp/spare batteries

mini inReach sat device

kill kit

the above weighs maybe 10 lbs (including 2 lbs of water)

if you ever get caught out for an unexpected night; you'll tend to pack much differently than if you haven't smile

KC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Bill:

You have memorized the "Ten Essentials", haven't you?

1. Small First Aid Kit
2. Rain Gear
3. Extra Clothes (warm lightweight coat, hat, gloves & sunglasses)
4. Fire Starter Kit (more than just matches)
5. Waterproof Tarp
6. Map & Compass
7. Pocket Knife or Multi-tool
8. Flashlight
9. Metal Pot (small lightweight) for melting snow
10. Food & Water (snacks & water in an unbreakable container)

KC

Wind in my hair, Sun on my face, I gazed at the wide open spaces, And I was at home.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

11. Be able to scream like a little girl, so we can find you.

Don't ask me about my military service or heroic acts...most of it is untrue.

Pronoun: Yes, SIR !
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Yep have all that. I have a smaller zip bag with meds - advil, tylenol, immodium, bendryl, and a couple hydrocodone. I carry 2 knives, 2 headlamps, 10-12 batteries, etc. I'm trying to pare down to a bare minimum. My pack seems to always weigh 50+ lbs with rifle attached.

I have 3 areas on the list this year, 2 are fairly easy 3-4 mile fairly flat pack in but 1 may be a real PITA. Extra weight won't be welcome - so trying to pair down some of the nice-to-have's to bare necessities.

IC B3

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Sometimes it is helpful to review and make a list of the stuff you brought but didn't use. To me, 3 extra AAA batteries are the limit. Since going to a good 18650 headlamp, I don't bring spare batteries. I used that headlamp for 3 weeks at moose camp, and it finally gave out on the last day. My GPS will go 3 years on a set of batteries the way I use it. I put new ones in it every August, because I'm a high roller. On a 2-3 day trip, I'd ditch the camera (sounds like you have) and the GPS and just use my phone. Leatherman is a great tool. For the truck/basecamp.

There is emergency stuff (basic first aid, fire making, tarp), and there is "what if" stuff. Try to go through everything and ditch the "what if". Then pick the one thing from that pile that you're willing to carry and leave the rest at the truck.

This from a guy that has brought 3 different tents (not including tarps) on a single sheep hunt.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
How about a Spot, so they can helicopter your ass out of there? I ain't spending a week playing Bear Grylls.

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
R
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
R

Minimum...a brain full of good sense and experience

“Perfection is achieved not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away”.
Antoine de Saint-Exupery. Posted by Brad.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by RinB

Minimum...a brain full of good sense and experience

This and a PLB that is on your person and won’t get swept away, lost in a huge fall, inaccessible in your pack which you cannot reach, etc.

Last edited by AKwolverine; 09/25/19.
805 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by bwinters
Yep have all that. I have a smaller zip bag with meds - advil, tylenol, immodium, bendryl, and a couple hydrocodone. I carry 2 knives, 2 headlamps, 10-12 batteries, etc. I'm trying to pare down to a bare minimum. My pack seems to always weigh 50+ lbs with rifle attached.

I have 3 areas on the list this year, 2 are fairly easy 3-4 mile fairly flat pack in but 1 may be a real PITA. Extra weight won't be welcome - so trying to pair down some of the nice-to-have's to bare necessities.

Put fresh batteries in both headlamps before the trip. If both headlamps fail in a 3 day trip extra batteries probably won’t solve the problem anyway. Also I made the switch to lithium’s. Last way longer and weighs less also.
Is the extra headlamp just a backup? Do you use it in camp for most of your light? I switched to a luci light for camp/tent. They work awesome.
I also always take a small med bag and some bandages/small tube of gel superglue.

What else is in your pack? Maybe list it and there might be a few spots to shave some more weight

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks for helping me think through this. Loaded up my pack this PM - with rifle weighs exactly 46 lbs. I even added 2, 16oz waters in the side pockets.

As an FYI, I shed weight in the following areas:

* Cut batteries to 3 of ea - AA and AAA
* Took only bare clothes - kelvin lite hoody, 1 pr base layer, (not going to wear them in for the hike), 1 pr extra sock liners (switch these out every other day)
* Cut food to exactly 3 days - I can live without food for a day if an emergency arises.
* Switched water filters from an MSR mini works to a Sawyer bag type
* Cut back on my emergency kit and meds to just the bare essentials
* Only took 1 knife and 1 headlamp
* Taking my 6.5 Kimber 338 Fed instead of my 7 lb Kimber 280 AI (likely switch out with 280 in 1 spot due to possible distances)
* a couple other things I'm sure I forgot about over the last couple weeks been chewing on this.

I cut 5-6 lbs this year.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I was thinking about you this weekend as I started up the mountain with a 50lb pack...

805 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
5lbs is a lot to cut. Way to go man! That’s a pretty light setup. Well done.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Yeah 5 lbs is alot. This will be my first solo backpack trip so I included all the 'what if' stuff. I simply pared down the what if list to stuff I've used in the past and no more. At the end of the day, I'll be 3-7 miles from the truck. I have all the emergency bases covered so the rest is comfort. I didnt lose all my comfort pieces......

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by cwh2
I was thinking about you this weekend as I started up the mountain with a 50lb pack...

How was it cool

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

639 members (160user, 1936M71, 10ring1, 1lessdog, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 64 invisible), 3,176 guests, and 1,308 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,381
Posts18,469,554
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.