Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by chlinstructor
Originally Posted by KFWA
I downloaded the PBS app so I can binge watch it

Do you have to pay for it ???

no, you just have to activate it - at least on an Android device

Last edited by KFWA; 09/16/19.

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Enjoyed the first part, will likely enjoy the rest of it too. As long as they don't eventually postulate that some A-rab was responsible for [bleep] kickin' music? Including the contributions of negroes in the early foundations of the music, didn't bother me none. That's something few were ever aware of, given the social climate of the times.

The segments of how the Carter Family and Jimmie Rodgers were discovered during recording sessions in Bristol, TN, were very interesting.

Remember my dad telling me about listening to radio broadcasts of the Opry on a battery powered radio, back in the early 1930s. Uncle Dave Macon and the rest. One of his older brothers bought the radio and they all gathered on Sat. nights to listen. House they lived in up in Potter Co. PA, had no electricity at the time. Much of that rural area had no electricity, until REA came into being during FDR's administration.

If three or more people think you're a dimwit, chances are at least one of them is right.
F
fburgtx Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
F
I’ve got no issue with them mentioning it here or there, but if they have a documentary about jazz, they don’t spend time talking about the sax and the trumpet being “European instruments”. They keep showing some mixed race gal, who I’ve never heard, babbling on about nothing, when they could be showing some real historians. If she actually had some real FACTS, it might be a worthwhile inclusion, but it just seems more like a “Hey, here’s a black person who listens to country music!”, thing...

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'm the same way with the blacks inclusion in everything. By watching commercials you'd think they constitute over 50% of the population.

They can't even make a Robin Hood or Medieval movie without including them in it.

The revisionist version of history is out of control also.

Figures don't lie, But Liars figure
Assumption is the mother of mistakes
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Caught most of it last night. It was pretty good. I've always been interested in the roots of that stuff and how it developed over the years and before radio and records gave it mass exposure. Lots of it I never had knowledge of; like the Jimmie Rodgers stuff. In the late 19th and early 20th century a lot of the old oral tradition stuff was dying out and got saved by folks who put it all down on paper for posterity. Lots of it did have roots in the black community, but not all of it. A lot of it's based on very old Irish / Scots / English songs that migrated here and got blended in with other stuff. The history of all this is fascinating even if you like history but aren't into the music.

IC B2

S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by fburgtx
Anybody watching?? Have you noticed EVERY PBS special has to make a point of overemphasizing race, anymore?? For chrissakes......

I watched some of it. They started off talking about how the banjo came from Africa, and that African Americans had a profound influence on country music. BUT.... African Americans are usually not given credit for their contributions.

So, right off the bat country music fans are a bunch of racists.

Then a few minutes later, they talked about how in the twenties this music was called hillbilly music. And that was an offensive term.
And on came Dolly Parton to explain that if you are an outsider and you call country music "Hillbilly" you are a racist.

And then I changed the channel. Good God on PBS every group is an offended minority.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J

To my memory 'back in the day' the country music genre as a whole wasn't called just "Country Music" but "Country and Western".

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I watched and enjoyed the show. As to any bias, I didnt see any of that in this particular segment. It mainly focused on "hillbilly's" contribution to country music.

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
It has been my experience that the average American, both left and right, gets their entire concepts of any form of history from either the television, video games, or comic books. And you might as well pull teeth from a chicken to try to convince them otherwise.

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Anything Ken Burns does instantly goes on my "don't watch" list. My aunt was the only pianist with a regular spot on the Opry for over 30 years- - - -I could probably give you a more accurate history of country music based on my time spent backstage at the Ryman Auditorium in the mid-1950's than most of the so-called "historians" could. I'll bet none of them know that the 5-gallon glass jug "water cooler" backstage actually contained moonshine whiskey!
Jerry

Ignorance can be fixed. Stupid is forever!
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Anybody watching?? Have you noticed EVERY PBS special has to make a point of overemphasizing race, anymore?? For chrissakes......

Ok, first off, I am not a PBS fan, although I did like Ken Burn's documentaries on the War Between the States and Baseball, so I watched last night, as I am a fan of the early country music.

So, not only "was we kings," but "we was also the inventors of country music."

In the year of Lord 2019, you must include the Negro in everything, except anything related to crime, or else you are a racist. In all fairness the Negroes have always been singers and musicians..........anything where there was no actual work involved, so you have to give credit where it is due. But, Burns most definitely overplays it, and anybody with half a brain knows it.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by simonkenton7

I watched some of it. They started off talking about how the banjo came from Africa, and that African Americans had a profound influence on country music. BUT.... African Americans are usually not given credit for their contributions.

So, right off the bat country music fans are a bunch of racists.

Then a few minutes later, they talked about how in the twenties this music was called hillbilly music. And that was an offensive term.
And on came Dolly Parton to explain that if you are an outsider and you call country music "Hillbilly" you are a racist.

And then I changed the channel. Good God on PBS every group is an offended minority.

Did you really watch and listen? The city of Nashville had a problem with "hillbilly" music and wanted to change the impression the term gave. There were plenty of white people that didn't like the term way back then. Jeez, this place is full of conspiracy theorists.

Fight fire, save lives, laugh in the face of danger.

Stupid always finds a way.
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
I watched it and enjoyed it thoroughly. I didn't know a lot about the Carter family or Jimmy Rogers.

There are 2 rules to success:

1. Never tell everything that you know.
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I'll bet they didn't mention Anita Carter running drunk and naked through a hotel lobby, being chased by one of the members of her band, who was also in his birthday suit, and sloshed to the max!
Jerry

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Was Little Jimmy Dickens and Shotgun Red on there?

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by slumlord
Was Little Jimmy Dickens and Shotgun Red on there?

I think they only covered up to 1933, so Little Jimmy should make the next one.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by joken2

To my memory 'back in the day' the country music genre as a whole wasn't called just "Country Music" but "Country and Western".

Yep,

even into the late 70's it was still called that

Geno

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
There's Bluegrass, like Flatt & Scruggs, etc. which has its roots in Appalacain Scot-Irish folk music. Then there's Jimmie Rodgers' depression-era train-riding hobo blues, and "Western Swing" from people like Bob Wills, and others from Texas and Oklahoma. Since the late 1960's and early 70's, nothing resembling real country music has been produced by anybody- - - -it's all high-tech special effects and cookie-cutter "artsts" who couldn't do a one-night stand with an acoustic guitar, a bass fiddle, a banjo, and a drummer in a backwoods Tennessee beer joint or dance hall if their lives depended on it!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PRQfLzwnBko

Jerry

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Hotrod_Lincoln
There's Bluegrass, like Flatt & Scruggs, etc. which has its roots in Appalacain Scot-Irish folk music. Then there's Jimmie Rodgers' depression-era train-riding hobo blues, and "Western Swing" from people like Bob Wills, and others from Texas and Oklahoma. Since the late 1960's and early 70's, nothing resembling real country music has been produced by anybody- - - -it's all high-tech special effects and cookie-cutter "artsts" who couldn't do a one-night stand with an acoustic guitar, a bass fiddle, a banjo, and a drummer in a backwoods Tennessee beer joint or dance hall if their lives depended on it!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PRQfLzwnBko

Jerry

did you watch it?

There are 2 rules to success:

1. Never tell everything that you know.
W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
I have not watched any. PBS loves reruns so I'll likely see it at some point.

News, or entrainment, can not always be spot on. Burns has an agenda, Like I was told about this site, it's like eating wings, be ready to spit out the bones.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
Page 2 of 13 1 2 3 4 12 13

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

348 members (160user, 10ring1, 219DW, 1Longbow, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 28 invisible), 2,046 guests, and 1,115 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,124
Posts18,483,712
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.