Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Well, this is a subject known well in my family. My wife is true German. Her father was a beer brewer his entire life. Her step father was a major sales rep for a German brewery. I will never forget taking stepfather, Herbert, into an American establishment where they served the beer with a frosted mug. He would not even taste it as he stated you could not taste it. We may be used to ice cold beer. But to truly taste we must have aroma released just as in a fine wine. No attempt here to change anyone's mind. I will leave a few American references for educational purposes only. I have learned that different beers truly have different flavors at different temps. Still, I won't forget drinking ice cold salted beer deer hunting successfully at about 100 degree temps in Calif a zone. At the time I would have sworn it was perfect.

https://www.foodandwine.com/news/best-beer-temperature

https://www.homebrewersassociation.org/how-to-brew/proper-beer-serving-temperatures/

====

I have found in life there are times when what we "think" we know is different than the actual facts. This is one of those. I have beer sitting on my basement floor at this time and has been a while since I drank any beer ice cold. At first I resisted but found there really was a difference in taste. To be honest, if we are talking ab out crap beer they are crap cold or slightly less cold. But good beer - yea, this is a real difference.

For those than just will not believe. Take a very expensive red wine, chill it to about 35 degrees, and then wonder why I paid so much for this ........

I paid my way through undergraduate school as a vineyard master. To this day I prefer a really good beer to most wine. Honestly, I think it is the early childhood memories of successful hunting ending followed by ice cold cheap beer. We each have our own wants, needs, and memories. This is part of mine.

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by CowboyTim
13 cu ft chest freezer with an external thermostat set at 33 degrees. And they say I can go overboard...

[Linked Image]
I've done that to store fruit until we could get it canned & dried. I have a 120v cooling thermostat from a greenhouse that comes on when it gets too warm. It's a hard wired type so I put it inline in an extension cord. I just put it in the freezer, the freezer plugs into it, and it plugs into the wall outlet.

β€œIn a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by sierraHunter
For those than just will not believe. Take a very expensive red wine, chill it to about 35 degrees, and then wonder why I paid so much for this ........

Same thing with quality sipping whisk(e)y. If you're going to pour it over a bunch of ice cubes you may as well start with Old Crow, Usher's Green Stripe or the like.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The BEST bottle of beer I ever drank, was at a little tavern in Bly, Oregon.

It was a long neck Budwiser, that had just a "skiff" of ice floating in the neck of the bottle.

Bud, Coors, etc. needed to be ice cold for me to enjoy them.

Now days, it's room temp red wine.

Virgil B.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A decent beer is still tasty when it's warmed up a few degrees and you are getting down near the bottom. A cheap American beer is often barely drinkable at that point. The dregs tell the tale.

Now with even more aplomb
IC B2

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
No frozen mugs here:

[Linked Image from media-cdn.tripadvisor.com]

R
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
R
The best beer is the ice cold one that gets handed to you just after you get done leveling a barley bin on a 90* day.

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
We all have our preferences, thankfully, but as far as beer temperature goes....buy a 6-er of a decent but not snob beer...Spaten Lager or a Czech Pilsner, for example, chill one to the mid to low thirties, chill one to the mid forties and taste them alternately. 4 out of 5, I bet will go with the beer in the 40's.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
I worked for Weyerhaeuser in Bly, drank a beer almost every afternoon at the Pastime. You're right...WONDERFUL.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
I need to build a keg-erator. How many have home built ones they can show how they did it? I'm thinking a two keg version. Maybe just do a one keg version.

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Those German's and their hot beer! grin

I knew a German farmer years ago in South Texas. I was driving by his place and he was pulled over next to the road in his old farm truck digging around in the bed...

I stopped because I thought he may need help. He said nah... he was looking for can of beer he knew he'd seen in there just the other day! eek

It was summer, and over 100 degrees.

He came up with that beer can out from under his tool box... You couldn't even tell what brand it was. It had all the label worn off from rolling around in the truck bed for who knows how long... He popped it open, licked the foam off, and drank it all down, and wiped his mouth on his sleeve. He surely looked proud of himself! grin

Molɔ̀ːn LabΓ© SkΓ½la!
C
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
C

Carbing up and lagering at 32 degrees...5 gallons of "Dirty Bohemian" and 5 of "Sticky Blonde". And yes that is a Busch Light in the corner...don't judge.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by CowboyTim; 10/07/19.

Mauser Rescue Society
Founder, President, and Chairman

I don't always shoot Mausers, but when I do...I prefer VZ-24s.

jdi do píči
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Is that in there as a warning to the lagering beer?

"Come out right, or you'll be crap like this!" grin

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
i'll probably start lagers again this winter. i've only done ales for the past 20 years. i have a hankering to make a nice oktoberfest and dunkles. i need to start looking for a free fridge.

My diploma is a DD214
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T

lot's of ice & melted ice !!

always liked this stuff........

[Linked Image]

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

C
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by tikkanut

lot's of ice & melted ice !!

always liked this stuff........

[Linked Image]

Yeah, I like Molson too, but it has to be Canadian, Golden is just not a great beer.(Says the guy with Busch Light in his beer cooler)

Mauser Rescue Society
Founder, President, and Chairman

I don't always shoot Mausers, but when I do...I prefer VZ-24s.

jdi do píči
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Typical mass market beer is best served as cold as possible, less likely to taste it that way.

Yes. After I began home brewing, I found good beer with some body and flavor is best at about room temp.

1Minute
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
After a hard day in the mountains nothing is better than a Silver Bullet that has been chilling in the ice chest all daygrin except the 2nd one for the drive home.

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Note to self: Hard days in the mountains dull the sense of taste. grin

R
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
R
I need to build a keg-erator. How many have home built ones they can show how they did it? I'm thinking a two keg version. Maybe just do a one keg version.

Easy Peasy, buy a new fridge, take the old one, drill holes and add faucets. Holds 4 - 5 gallon torpedo kegs, room on the top shelf to cold crash a 7 gallon fermenter. Bags of ice and vacuum sealed hop pellets in the freezer.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Last edited by rschmelzle; 10/18/19.
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

513 members (1OntarioJim, 007FJ, 1Longbow, 1moredeer, 160user, 10Glocks, 42 invisible), 2,295 guests, and 1,146 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,395
Posts18,469,994
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.