Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J

Originally Posted by Barkoff
Ok, so many have said “due process” is required.

Describe to me “due process” in regards to mental illness.
Is a mental health Dr. standing before a judge, making his/her case to confine their patient for two more weeks, against their will, though no crime has been committed, considered “due process?”

Don't know what the formal process is nowadays or is in other areas, but in this area it used to be when the police were called over someone with probable mental illness issues causing a disturbance, they were first taken into custody and usually locked up until two MDs (general practitioner met the legal requirement) visited and conducted a brief interview with that person. If deemed mentally ill by MDs, transported to a mental institution and medicated for a specific amount of time, then released.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Red Flag = BS

A person can do more harm with a gallon of gas and a lighter, both available at any convenience store. Without a background check. People get angry for a bazillion reasons, it does not mean they are a threat. A person determined to be deranged should be put in protective custody after professional diagnosis, not the lay opinion.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
Red Flag = BS

A person can do more harm with a gallon of gas and a lighter, both available at any convenience store. Without a background check. People get angry for a bazillion reasons, it does not mean they are a threat. A person determined to be deranged should be put in protective custody after professional diagnosis, not the lay opinion.

Agreed, but that is the problem. Nuts cannot be "imprisoned" , meaning held without their consent, anymore. At least not until it too late.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Living in liberty can be a dangerous thing but, to keep things in perspective, you're many times more likely to be bludgeoned to death than shot down by a mass shooter.

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
Originally Posted by websterparish47
Displaying anger or aggression are not signs of mental illness.

You miss the point. You can see mental illness in people, who are not showing signs of aggression or anger, right?

That dude standing on the corner, looking up into the sun, jabbering away, obviously has issues, but is not threatening anyone.

That clear it up for you?

No I didn't miss the point, I merely pointed out two that were misstated.

IC B2

Barkoff Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Ok, so many have said “due process” is required.

Describe to me “due process” in regards to mental illness.
Is a mental health Dr. standing before a judge, making his/her case to confine their patient for two more weeks, against their will, though no crime has been committed, considered “due process?”

It's been explained to you many times. Will one more time make a difference?

No, actually it has not.

How do you define due process with the mentally ill, when it is decided to confine them with no crime being committed? When doctors stand before judges, usually the mentally ill are not represented by or issued legal representation.
So yes, you need to explain due process one more time, because I’m seeing confinement with no crime and no legal representation.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Disorderly conduct is an arrestable offense. Psychotic behavior (which is typically disorderly) is usually why psychotic folks are arrested, then (if they show signs of psychotic behavior) transferred to a facility for evaluation. Were it not for such facilities, they'd be charged with conventional disorderly conduct and housed in a jail cell awaiting arraignment with legal representation (should they request it). Assuming they meet certain criteria, instead of awaiting arraignment in a jail cell, they're doing so in a facility qualified to evaluate psychosis. They can request an attorney any time they like. Their legal status while being evaluated is that of being under arrest and being held for arraignment, pending evaluation.

Same as being arrested for public drunkenness, except they add the factor of being evaluated for mental illness. You don't send an attorney in to talk to a falling down drunk person, and you don't do that for someone who's floridly psychotic, for reasons that shouldn't require explanation. Same same.

As to the legal process, they are treated alike, i.e., when apparently capable (lucid), they are brought before a judge with their legal representative (should they request it), to determine their future situation, confinement or release. They may demand a jury trial at that point, regardless, if they protest their further confinement. Some states don't offer a jury trial for commitment, and this, in my view, is a violation of due process, and ought to change.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Actually, most people are committed to mental health observation because they're doing crazy things, like running around Walmart nekid with a rat trap on their dick. 24 hours and a couple of pills and they're back to the overpass.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Call me old fashioned but I don't like a penalty for crime to be imposed until an actual crime is committed

Be Polite , Be Professional , but have a plan to kill everybody you meet
-General James Mattis United States Marine Corps

Nothing is darker than a mau mau's moo moo.
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

572 members (10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 1234, 56 invisible), 2,381 guests, and 1,229 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,395
Posts18,488,841
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.