Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
V
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
V
The local gun shop has a VERY nice Smith & Wesson Model 25-2 revolver for sale (in caliber 45 ACP). It has the 6" barrel and is "pinned".
There are replacement grips (non-original) on it (by Hogue) but the rest of the pistol is all original.
The bluing would be 100% but for two small thin scratches on the under side of the barrel near the muzzle (unusual these!).
And there is a tiny bit of muzzle wear on the left side of the barrel only.
The asking price (it is on consignment by an unknown to me person) is $600.00!
Anyone interested in a really nice Model 25-2 can call the shop directly at 406-683-9844 from 9:30 A.M. to 5:30 P.M. Tuesday through Saturday (M.S.T.).
I bought two guns this weekend and am broke or I would be a playah for this one.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

GB1

G
g5m Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Very good price! At least for around here.

Retired cat herder.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Good price here as well.

Direct Impingement is the Fart Joke of military rifle operating systems. ⓒ
P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Great price for here

Guns don't kill people, it's mostly the bullets
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
VG, that is a great price.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Nice.

R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
If it is a 6" vs. a 6.5" that would make it a 1979+- to 1981 production. These usually didn't come with a presentation case as the older ones did. Not having the original grips on it is a big hit price wise as a set of original period Targets start at about $150.00. Going price with the original grips last I looked was $850+-...so $600 for one missing the grips is still a good deal...

If it was in a shop around here it would not last two days...

Bob

If you can not deal with reality, reality will deal with you....
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by RJM
If it is a 6" vs. a 6.5" that would make it a 1979+- to 1981 production. These usually didn't come with a presentation case as the older ones did. Not having the original grips on it is a big hit price wise as a set of original period Targets start at about $150.00. Going price with the original grips last I looked was $850+-...so $600 for one missing the grips is still a good deal...

If it was in a shop around here it would not last two days...

Bob

I have a pristine early 1977 6.5" 25-2 that I would say is valued around $950+. It has original Goncalo Alves target grips, wide spur target hammer and target trigger. If that helps.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
V
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
V
Local dirt: The pistol in question at my local gun shop has sold!
Anyone here buy it?
And this, Local dirt - I am in the market for an upgraded set of K frame Smith & Wesson target grips for a pistol I own, and the "asking prices" for said grips is shocking!
I have been looking for about a year and come across them fairly often but refuse to pay the exorbitant amount the folks that own them are asking!
Sheesh.
I used to work for a large west coast police department (1,100 officers) and our departments pistol smith literally had boxes and boxes and drawers filled with S&W grips that our personnel would trade in for Pachmeyers etc.
We were only allowed to carry S&W "J" or "K" frame revolvers back then.
I even heard tell the department armorer would throw these grips in the garbage when they got to be a pain storing them!
Yeah I wish I had that opportunity back!
Thank you for your price info.
Probably should have bought it myself.
Oh well - I am temporarily out of mad money.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by VarmintGuy
Anyone here buy it?
And this, Local dirt - I am in the market for an upgraded set of K frame Smith & Wesson target grips for a pistol I own, and the "asking prices" for said grips is shocking!
I have been looking for about a year and come across them fairly often but refuse to pay the exorbitant amount the folks that own them are asking!
Sheesh.
I used to work for a large west coast police department (1,100 officers) and our departments pistol smith literally had boxes and boxes and drawers filled with S&W grips that our personnel would trade in for Pachmeyers etc.
I even heard tell the department armorer would throw these grips in the garbage when they got to be a pain storing them!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

VarmintGuy, send me a picture of what you're looking for and what you'd be willing to pay. I'll keep my eyes open. Was just at a small gun show this weekend. One vendor who is a handgun collector had 2 or 3 cases full of grips. I almost bought a set of N-frame targets off of him.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
IC B3

L
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
L
Anyone here buy it?
Sheesh.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Yeah, it's incredible what I threw out. I recall carrying many 5 gallon buckets of once fired brass to the dumpster, because 5 gallons was about all I wanted to carry that far and lift that high. Must have been at least a ton, over the years. I was told that storing the brass for recycling to reloading companies was "unsightly". I also recall some pretty nice guns that went to the smelter. There was an all matching America Eagle Luger, a like new Python (even the wood grips were spotless). They asked our local elected politicians for a decision, and the decision was "melt them". We took guns to the smelter in 55 gallon barrels and they became brake drums. At the end of the day it was just a job, but some levels of stupidity give me heartburn. Your post about the grips reminded of it, and now I have heartburn again just thinking about it. I think I'll eat some Tums and go to bed.

R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
...I love BlackGun CopShops....

Was in one a couple of years ago and there was not a revolver in the place. In the used bin was a like new set of K-frame Combats... Fished them out and brought them over to the owner... He said he didn't even know what they went on..."How is $5.00"....

They went on GunBroker the following week...and sold for $200.00...

The price of original S&W grips are really through the roof. The last set of 100% Cokes I saw sell on eBay was $800.00...

Bob

If you can not deal with reality, reality will deal with you....
V
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
V
Local dirt: I am not able to post pics here. Thank you very much for the offer of help.
If this helps i need a set of S&W factory "Target" grips for a "K" frame S&W Model 66.
I was at a gunshow over in Idaho this past weekend and no luck there.
I have three gunshows coming up here abouts in short order and will peruse them hoping for a reasonably priced set of grips there.
Over the decades I have seen size/fit differences in the grips (frames?) of "K" framed Smiths.
Not urgent just looking to upgrade.
Thanks for your help and concern.
Thank goodness the snow finally quit here!
I will be able to travel safely in a day or two it looks like.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

V
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
V
Learmorer: I think I can top your story about the "smelter" disposal of guns?
For my last few years on my department I was assigned to the Harbor Unit. This departments policy for unwanted and no longer needed for evidence "guns" was to put them onto a harbor boat 100 or 200 at a time and drive the boat out into Puget Sound, into 300' of water, plus, and unceremoniously dump them into the saltwater!
I am not kidding when I relay that at times I could not look as some of the wonderful firearms were dumped into that slow acting acidic water!
We did this once or twice a year and the same fate befell no longer needed knives/machetes/small axes!
Finally in my last year on the department a Lieutenant I worked for (and Hunted with) filed a civil suit against the Chief of Police (he had his retirement time in grade under his belt!) for not following an obscure city ordinance that directed that all no longer needed "property" in the possession of the police department would be disposed of by "selling" and the proceeds from said sale would be placed in the police departments budget!
He won the lawsuit but the city would only sell the guns to F.F.L. holders.
I retired soon after.
Sad when I think of all the wonderful firearms I saw get "deep sixed".
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

V
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
V
RJM: Whoa on that great deal you got from the Black Gun gunshop!
Both a great buy AND a great sale for you!
You are exactly right on the prices for nice condition S&W grips.
Puzzling and shocking the prices I come across.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Local dirt: I am not able to post pics here. Thank you very much for the offer of help.
If this helps i need a set of S&W factory "Target" grips for a "K" frame S&W Model 66.
I was at a gunshow over in Idaho this past weekend and no luck there.
I have three gunshows coming up here abouts in short order and will peruse them hoping for a reasonably priced set of grips there.
Over the decades I have seen size/fit differences in the grips (frames?) of "K" framed Smiths.
Not urgent just looking to upgrade.
Thanks for your help and concern.
Thank goodness the snow finally quit here!
I will be able to travel safely in a day or two it looks like.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

VG, I wish I had known that before this past weekend. There is a new show that started up about a mile and I half from my house. Better venue than the other small show in the area, and a bit larger.

Plus, the air conditioning works.. smile
Pretty important in South Florida this time of year.

I just texted my friend who is a collector here to see if he has a set he'd be willing to part with or knows anybody that has a set.

Last edited by local_dirt; 09/30/19.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
G
g5m Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
This painful thread reminds me of train cars filled with BAR's post Korea being taken to a local smelter back in the 1950's. They were guarded, as told to me by someone locally who is in the manufacturing business, and there was no funny business at all. Also, back in the early 1960's there were several piles of burned Thompsons and BAR's at an old WW2 base in Utah . The wood was gone but they were ready to be used with some TLC and parts. When the ATF, or maybe ATTD back then, found out they pretty much took care of that little problem. J. Curtis Earl had a bunch of those guns and had to surrender them as I recall.
That was all discovered from a traffic stop in Utah and the teenaged driver had a fully functional Thompson in his car.

Retired cat herder.

V
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
V
G5m: Yikes I have not heard of those "melt-downs" before.
If I only had a penny of each dollar my various levels of governments have "pissed away" over the last fifty years - I would be a rich man, a VERY rich man.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

G
g5m Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
G5m: Yikes I have not heard of those "melt-downs" before.
If I only had a penny of each dollar my various levels of governments have "pissed away" over the last fifty years - I would be a rich man, a VERY rich man.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Yes. Also, I remember reading the story about the kid getting stopped in Utah. It was a small story in the local big paper. And the bit about J. Curtis Earl was in a magazine, maybe Guns or Guns and Ammo about 1965. When I met and got to know Earl in 1969 I asked him about it and he was still aggravated about how that went. He had a really unbelievable collection of NFA items.

And, regarding 'melt downs', it was heart braking to see the aircraft around here that were melted down in the 50's and 60's.

Retired cat herder.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

54 members (14idaho, 3dtestify, 6mmCreedmoor, 10gaugemag, 406_SBC, 11 invisible), 1,642 guests, and 751 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,387
Posts18,469,726
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.