Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 14 of 17 1 2 12 13 14 15 16 17
DBT Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Still no evidence that a single one of the countless gods that humans believed in actually exist.

Meanwhile, even now, there is no agreement between Christians, Jews or Muslims on the nature of the God of the bible, supposedly being the same god.

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by DBT
Still no evidence that a single one of the countless gods that humans believed in actually exist.

Meanwhile, even now, there is no agreement between Christians, Jews or Muslims on the nature of the God of the bible, supposedly being the same god.

Except they can't be the same because they have mutually exclusive beliefs.....

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Fubarski
I think if scientologists had any beliefs that didn't rely on faith, they could post em and support em,
without havin ta denigrate theology as bein illogical.

This thread was started by a creationist in order to denigrate science.

-Bulletproof and Waterproof don't mean Idiotproof.
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Originally Posted by Starman
I think if scientologists had any beliefs that didn't rely on faith, they could post em and support em,

And rightfully so, cause science is lookin stoopid bein off by whatever billion years.

Assumin the *latest* "scientific" belief is accurate.

But all you got in defense of that stupidity is grade school retorts bout how aspects of theology don't jibe.

And that's no defense of the difference in faith "scientists" may have in the age of the universe.

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A

And rightfully so, cause science is lookin stoopid bein off by whatever billion years.

Assumin the *latest* "scientific" belief is accurate.

But all you got in defense of that stupidity is grade school retorts bout how aspects of theology don't jibe.

And that's no defense of the difference in faith "scientists" may have in the age of the universe.

No. We have various lines of evidence, with beliefs apportioned to the quality of various lines.

Where a theist may be required to believe something just because it's in their holy book, a skeptic is under no obligation to believe something just because it appears in a peer reviewed journal. The article sited in this thread is an interesting start to a new line of evidence, but by no means is it a new final word.

No faith required.

Last edited by antelope_sniper; 09/18/19.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

scientists can and do admit to being wrong, whilst creationists remain adamant.

but you don't believe all that mumbo jumbo christians stubbornly adhere to.

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper
No. We have various lines of evidence, with beliefs apportioned to the quality of various lines.

Yet you've spent considerable time in this very thread, not to mention a hundred others, denigrating "various" differing, but similar, theological beliefs.

Which the believers of those various beliefs, have apportioned relative to their assessment of the quality of various lines.

If "they're" less intelligent for those beliefs, as you righteously allege, they're only different in kind, not degree.

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F

scientists can and do admit to being wrong, whilst creationists remain adamant.

but you don't believe all that mumbo jumbo christians stubbornly adhere to.

I analyze the allegation being made, and decide what amount of credence to commit to it.

Which means, alotta theological allegations are dismissed.

And a lotta "scientific" ones get the same treatment.

J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
https://www.ancient.eu/zoroaster/

Modern scholars believe that ....

The Avesta is believed to have been ...

one would expect ....

This work is composed of several different texts ....

and one of these texts, is considered to be ...

which is grammatically comparable ....

It is therefore believed that ....

The range of speculation ....

Saying that he lived..... is an estimation that would be acceptable to most scholars.

Ya know,

If ya cut out alla the bullshit, that makes a lotta sense.

Hahaha. TFT and TFF.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper

Yet you've spent considerable time in this very thread, not to mention a hundred others, denigrating "various" differing, but similar, theological beliefs.

Which the believers of those various beliefs, have apportioned relative to their assessment of the quality of various lines.

If "they're" less intelligent for those beliefs, as you righteously allege, they're only different in kind, not degree.

Just because someone disagrees with me on this single proposition, that doesn't mean they are not intelligent. There are theist on this site with whom I probably agree with 90%+ of the time. A persons intelligence should be judged on the their body of work, not a single question.

Regardless it doesn't matter who put forth a given proposition, each must stand or fall on it's own merits by meeting it's own burden of proof.

Unfortunately, some people here just aren't very well versed in logic and the evaluation of evidence.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by jaguartx

Hahaha. TFT and TFF.

Fubi has already told us that he considers your form of wacky christian belliefs a load of nonsense.

Why do you seek the support of a non-believer?...none other than a mark of desperation.

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Originally Posted by jaguartx

Hahaha. TFT and TFF.

Fubi has already told us that he considers your wacky christian belliefs a load of nonsense.

Why do you seek the support of a non-believer?...none other than a mark of desperation.

Never said that, at all.

But it's no surprise you'd pull bullshit outta your head, to support a stupid post.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
well you either believe in talkings snakes , virgin births, walking on water and corpses coming to life
and disappeariing into the clouds....or you don't.

..if you don't believe such , then how can it not be considered nonsense by you?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by xxclaro
Ok that is complete BS...not all scientists even study this field. How do you know how many Ph.D scientists switch which side of the argument they are on? Could it also be that creationists might be far more reluctant to change their views do to the threat of their soul burning in hell forever if they dare to question the issue?

They don't switch because the same reason the evolutionists switch. They use science without the pressure of blind faith.

I'm not at all sure that man is simply a more highly evolved animal, it seems to me we are too different than any other creature in too many ways for that to be the case, but those differences are not so much physical. I don't care if evolution perfectly describes how our bodies developed, but there is a whole lot more to us than body, and that's where the big differences lie.

We agree on the idea we are more than physical. I do care if evolution is not true. Evolution is not compatible with the First Chapter of the Bible. God's Word says if Jesus didn't rise from the dead Christians are the most to be pitied.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F

well you either believe in talkings snakes , virgin births, walking on water and corpses coming to life

..if you don't believe such , then how can it not be considered nonsense by you?

Simple minds caricature theological parables as a way of compensating for their lack of the capacity to acknowledge the inherent truth contained within the parables.

It interferes with their desperate need to feel superior.

I have the capacity to respect others by not denigrating their particular faith, tho I might not be of the same faith.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
https://www.ancient.eu/zoroaster/

Modern scholars believe that Zoroaster must have lived at some point between c. 1500 and c. 600 BCE.
The 600 BCE limit is based on the fact that the Avesta does not contain a single reference to a ruler of the Achaemenid Empire,
which was the dominant power in Persia beginning in 550 BCE. The Avesta is believed to have been composed in eastern Persia,
which is why one would expect these texts to mention an Achaemenid ruler if its composition was later than 550 BCE. The earlier
date in the range, 1500 BCE, is based on linguistic evidence found in the Avesta. This work is composed of several different texts
and one of these texts, the Yasna, is considered to be the oldest of the Avestan texts. Its language is Old Avestan (sometimes called
Gathic Avestan), which is grammatically comparable to the language of the Indian text known as Rig Veda, since the languages of
Persia and India belong to the same language family (the Indo-European Languages family). It is therefore believed that the Rig Veda
and the Avesta are about the same age, dating to c. 1500 BCE. The range of speculation for Zoroaster’s life is wide. Saying that he
lived in around 1000 BCE, give or take a century or so, is an estimation that would be acceptable to most scholars.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/religion/religions/zoroastrian/history/zoroaster_1.shtml

Zoroastrianism was founded by the Prophet Zoroaster (or Zarathustra) in ancient Iran approximately 3500 years ago.
The precise date of the founding of Zoroastrianism is uncertain. An approximate date of 1200-1500 BCE has been established through
archaeological evidence and linguistic comparisons with the Hindu text, the Rig Veda.

The oldest text of the Avesta is something like 330 AD...... Zoro is credited at the author and he does not enter the historical record until 500 BC or so.

If you prefer to believe otherwise is your choice.

Anybody can look this stuff up, no one needs to take my opinion....nor the opinions of as or sm..... do your own research and the decide what you will believe.....

As always, there is truth and there is falsehood....

Btw.... you can find scholars that argue decisively that “judaism” predates zoroastrianism and some will say that Zoroastrianism not even a monotheistic religion......

Meh....

Last edited by TF49; 09/18/19.

The tax collector said: “Lord Jesus, have mercy on me, a sinner.” Jesus said he went home “justified.”

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Simple minds caricature theological parables as a way of compensating for their lack of the capacity to acknowledge the inherent truth contained within the parables.

I have the capacity to respect others by not denigrating their particular faith, tho I might not be of the same faith.

FFS spare the CF your spin , when you don't believe things you have in the past not been shy to call it BS.

whether its about state or federal law, or bIblical text, it should make no difference.

X
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
X

I agree, no need to denigrate anyone for their beliefs. Just out of curiosity, do you consider the stories of Genesis to be fact, as written,or allegorical? I find this is the thing that really seems to separate people, the ones who beleive it is real history and the ones who believe it's allegory/parables. I don't mean to denigrate those who believe it's true stories word for word,my whole family falls into that camp and they are good,smart people, I'm just curious where people stand on this.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If a person don't believe something then in their mind its BS to them.

If you consider something untrue, it can be abbreviated to calling it BS, (if you choose to be undiplomatic)

Fubi is known on the CF for being rather undiplomatic when he doesnt believe something,
but now he's gone all coy.

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
I agree, no need to denigrate anyone for their beliefs. Just out of curiosity, do you consider the stories of Genesis to be fact, as written,or allegorical?

IMO, everything that is contained within what people call the Bible, in all its variations, can be considered allegorical, framed for the purpose of edification.

Although, what is described therein might have happened exactly as described, and could still fulfill the purpose of edification.

IOW, the actual circumstance of the incident or behavior related is less important than the concept communicated by the recounting of the circumstance, as an object lesson.

Page 14 of 17 1 2 12 13 14 15 16 17

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

139 members (338reddog, 2ndwind, 257_X_50, 35WhelenNut, 300_savage, 308xray, 25 invisible), 1,670 guests, and 955 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,367
Posts18,488,280
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.