E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Originally Posted by boatboy
We have become dependent on this form of hunting in MI
That being said I really cant remember shooting a buck off a bait pile

I would also agree this form of hunting really doesnt make the best hunters. That being said I am sure you can find methods of hunting almost everywhere that other would roll their eyes, waterholes, dogs ,corn feeders ,helicopters etc

They (the bucks) know that a pile of sugar beets dont just fall there

The only thing it may help is if a doe is heading that way and he is hot on her tail

But I have shot quite a few off food plots and I will be sitting off one Nov 15 God willing

There is so much BS here in MI Re deer hunting I really dont know who to believe or root for anymore

Hank

Well said.

Ted has his own ideas & defends them passionately.

GB1

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
its never been legal here in PA and lots of guys do it. law says its gotta be removed 30 days before hunting season. schit the wally world has pallets of the schit up through and during hunting season.

My diploma is a DD214
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I remember when baiting was illegal for deer before in Michigan. We still managed to take deer. There were more hunters then too and kept the deer moving. I remember seeing 78 deer one opening morning. But if you saw an antler you better shoot him as you weren't likely to see another that season. Recently the hunting is different. Most deer stay put on private property next to their food piles. The quality of bucks has gone up.

I doubt that a baiting ban is going to stop or even slow the spread of chronic wasting disease. Deer will still congregate under apple trees, oak trees, corn fields, etc. Once the cwd prion is in the soil it stays for a long time. I think the best thing to do is drastically reduce the deer herd but that would be highly unpopular.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Teds a dumb ass.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by colorado bob
I wonder if they are thinking of banning food plots? It could be considered a form of baiting.

The same science would apply to baiting bears, correct?

"All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth." – Robert E. Lee
IC B2

X
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
X
When Ted was cranking out hunting shows it was on his private ranch with corn or some sort of scratch all over the ground. The game would be milling around feeding and he would glamorize the kill and call it spiritual. What a tool.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by gonehuntin

“I am the ultimate conservationist and I killed two mature bucks on my property last year with my bow and arrow, neither of them anywhere near bait. I don’t need to bait. Nobody needs to bait. I don’t need an 850 horsepower hellcat either but I’m an American and I own that property,” added Mr. Nugent, according to the outlet. “If you don’t want to hunt over bait, it’s pretty simple. Don’t. We choose. It’s a choice.”

Semantics.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
Baiting is legal in most of Wisconsin . I have seen how lazy baiting makes hunters. These guys can't get off their bait pile. They just dont know how to hunt anymore. I have a place in northern Wis. There are very few hunters there anymore . There is one party and they bait from opening day of bow season to the end of gun season. If it were not for baiting , they would likely not get any deer. The fathers knew how to hunt but the kids and now the fathers sit over bait. I know enough to have an accurate opinion. It is a lazy unskilled way to harvest a deer. One time I shot a buck and actually felt bad about it so I quit. Now I hunt over trails, areas where I think they bed and feed. I see a few less deer this way and hey dont come in , stand broadside and put their head down so I can shoot. Baiting makes for an easier shot but when I stopped hunting over bait , it was very liberating instead of hunting the same stand, mentally afraid to not hunt there thinking is I dont hunt that bait pile, that is when that buck will come in , and therefore you never leave the bait pile. Now I am a total nomad, I have at least 25 different well thought out stands on 7,000 ac. of public land that gets lots of pressure all bow season but I still see deer. Although this is south east Wisconsin, I like it a lot more , than sitting over bait. Bait also, for the thousandth time, makes deer move less in the daytime . The cams prove it. Nice bucks coming in an hr after close and and at 4AM. , just to see a nubby or some fawns in the daytime cam pics. If we keep bait out of the woods, the deer will move almost all day long like they did 30 yrs ago.

Last edited by ihookem; 09/18/19.

But the fruits of the spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness,faithfulness, Gentleness and self control. Against such things there is no law. Galations 5: 22&23
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
The Michigan DNR Sucks, 3 point rule 4 point rule! Bait dont Bait, I realy dont care much anymore! I do know 6 guys that are Not hunting in Michigan this year, they are going out of state! I live where I hunt, I could care less about the Baiting rule, if we can bait Ill put my 2 gallons of shell corn out, and Yes Iv Killed Large bucks over bait too! and without bait! I passed 2 diffrent 6 point bucks last year. I have 2 doe tags this year, 2 buck tags, Iv Passed on button bucks for 25 years but not anymore if its eating size Im shooting them. small six going down Im tired of the Let them Grow Crap! Fill the Freeze this year!

Deer Camp! about as good as it gets!
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by Gus
Originally Posted by RickyD
Originally Posted by Morewood
Michigan lawmakers have a stranglehold on hunting laws.

No different than any state. Lawmakers make the laws. Banning baiting of deer or elk is not a law I would disagree with.

well, i can agree with what of you speak. but what is baiting? that's where i've fallen into disrepair with others.

seed, fertilizer, tractors, a field of greens. an input of a lot of money. buyer's choice.

or spread various food, supplements, and other nutrition. input is money.

i don't think baiting with food is kosher.

i don't think food plots are kosher.

My sentiments exactly, that’s scary Gus and I’m sorry. Not that I agree but that someone else shares my esoteric thoughts. Sorry for you not me.

IC B3

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Ihookem, I hunt in “steep” peaks of the lowly Poconos but ARs rule and no baiting,1 buck and doe tags are permit only, ‘‘tis the law of the land, local only, my question lies in the former, do Baiters (yeah yeah Master haha, insert 10 yo joke) get more tags than you do?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Ted is talking out of his hat.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
In my view Uncle Ted is grandstanding for himself.

Like many states we have a growing CWD problem and in some areas, bovine TB.

We need take off our tin foil hats, there is no great conspiracy. The DNR really doesn't care that you are a better hunter than Bubba sitting over bait. If you have been paying attention, they have actually been trying to increase the harvest (regular firearms during muzzle loader for example). They do care about a diseased herd of deer and elk. Our beef and dairy farmers care a LOT about bovine TB.

I know DNR biologists working on this problem that are avid hunters. The issue isn't food itself, it is nose to nose contact over a feeder or pile of feed. When you pile food over couple of square feet, you increase the likelihood of contact. A multi acre food plot is not the same.

I don't like a lot of rules and I sure don't like government telling us what to do, but we must be good stewards with our natural resources. Deer hunting is a Michigan cultural tradition we should not endanger. Ignoring science and burying our heads in the sand like Ted is not the answer.

405wcf

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I don't see widespread civil disobedience as a result of this rule. Private landowners that bait will continue to do so. I do not hunt over bait piles but to each their own, especially on their own property.

"I Birn Quhil I Se" MacLeod of Lewis
I Burn While I See
Hold Fast MacLeod of Harris
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Here in Kommiefornia, and in some other states I've lived in, "baiting" is defined as such.

It is unlawful to:

Knowingly feed big game animals. (please tell that to the folks down the road that always have deer hanging around there place in the winter. I think they dump 50lb sacks of birdseed in a trough and call it bird feeding. Friggen deer in the road every night in winter)

Take game birds and mammals within 4000 yards of any baited area. This does not apply to the taking of game birds and mammals on or over standing crops, croplands, or grains found scattered solely as the result of normal agricultural operations or procedures.

Take bears within 400 yards of any garbage dump or bait.

I'm not sure a food plot would be legal here, as a food plot just for attracting deer would likely be considered baiting. Now, it a person planted turnips and such, and harvest some, and left the bad ones, that might be considered normal agricultural operations. Or if one hunted over the standing "crop" of turnips.

Not really an issue here, as most folks don't hunt like they do in a hardwood forest back east.

Geno

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
Jeeze Louise.....the schitting country is covered up with deer.

No one is hunting them.

Time to harvest fewer deer??

I am MAGA.
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M

Lyrics
All right! It's Zee Wango, Zee Tango
1-2-3-4
Come on boys
Time to Wango
My baby she like to rock
My baby she like to roll
My baby she can dance all night
My baby got no control
She do the Wango Tango
My baby she can scream and shout
My baby she can move it out
My baby she can take a chance
My baby got a brand new dance
Wango Tango
Wango Tango
It's a Wango Tango
Ooooh yeah! (ooh)
Baby!
My baby like to rock
My baby like to roll
My baby like to dance all night
She got no control
She do
Wango Tango
Wango Tango
Wango Tango
Oooh yeah! (ooh)
Yeah!
Baby! Baby! Baby! Ooh I like the way you look baby
You look like you're made for me honey
If you want to take a little chance
I'm gonna show you a new dance
Baby I gotta Wango down one time with you honey
I like it, I like it, I like it, I like it, I like it
Well, it's a brand new dance
Yeah been sweepin' the nation
I said a brand new dance
A rock 'n' roll sensation
Yeah I like it baby, I do it every night
I got to do it 'cause I like it so much
Oh honey believe it baby
You see it's a crazed gyration of the rock generation
It's my motivation to avoid the nauseation, frustration
When I need some lubrication, baby!
Kinda like, goes kinda like this
You take her right ankle out
You take her left ankle out
You get her belly propped down
You get her butt propped up
Yeah lookin' good now baby
I think you're in the right position now baby
Yeah but if you ain't quite ready I'll make sure everything is a little bit nicer 'cause
I'm gonna get a little talcum
I'm gonna borrow it from Malcolm
Yeah you look so good baby I'm starting to drool all over myself
I got the droolin', droolin', get all wet, salivate, salivate
I got slimy legs, slimy legs, slimy legs
Got slimy, slimy, slimy, slimy, heh heh heh
Yeah you look so good baby, I like it, I like it, I like it
You know what I been talkin' about honey
It's a nice dance, we gotta a nice dance goin' here
Now what you gotta do, I'll tell you what you gotta do
You got to pretend your face is a Maserati
It's a Maserati
It's a Maserati
It's a gettin' hotty
It's a Maserati, Maserati, Maserati
It's a fast one too man, that thing's turbocharged
You feel like a little fuel injection honey?
I'll tell ya about it, I'll tell you about it
I'll check out the hood scoop
I gotta get that hood scoop off, shine and shine and buff
I gotta buff it up, buff it up, buff it up, buff it up, buff it up,
Yeah, shiny now baby, heh heh heh
You've been drivin' all night long
It's time to put the old Maserati away
So you look for a garage, you think you see a garage
Wait a minute, Hey!, there's one up ahead
And the damn thing's open
Hello! Get in there!
Is my baby alive? (Is my baby alive?)
Is my baby alive? (Is my baby alive?)
Is my baby alive?
She Wango'd to death
Wango Tango (Wango Tango)
Wango Tango
Wango Tango
Wango Tango
Wango Tango
Wango Wango
Tango Tango
Wango Wango Wango Wango
Tango Tango Tango Tango

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I think supporting this as a good thing against "bad hunters" is short sighted; feeds right into the divide and conquer of hunters. If you don't like baiting, deer, bears, whatever...don't. But don't cheer more restrictions being put on hunters, if you like to hunt. Your "unsporting" use of a firearm, or whatever else is deemed "unsportsmanlike" may be next.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Jeeze Louise.....the schitting country is covered up with deer.

No one is hunting them.

Time to harvest fewer deer??

+/- 50 does and fawns in my rancher neighbor's alfalfa tonight. He's probably already taken in his last cut and will be putting some cattle out there soon, they're in a neighboring field he cut a week or so.

But we don't have antlerless hunts up here. We just whack the extras with our vehicles.

Was pulling out of a parking lot around 5 this evening, right near the major intersection in town, our one flashing light. Saw a spike and a youngster getting ready to cross in front of me as I was going to make a right onto the east/west highway. Was watching a big pickup coming before I pulled out and he dang near hit them.

But we don't have even an archery hunt in town.

Mule deer populations are low you know...................not around us though.

I wish we had seasons like they do back east.

Geno

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Too each his own.

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

541 members (1minute, 1_deuce, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 1234, 16penny, 70 invisible), 2,404 guests, and 1,257 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,538
Posts18,472,814
Members73,939
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.