Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 15 of 17 1 2 13 14 15 16 17
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by TF49

As always, there is truth and there is falsehood....

As a christian why don't you be true and live up to your word and stop reading and replying to my posts.

-Bulletproof and Waterproof don't mean Idiotproof.

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Originally Posted by Starman
Fubi is known on the CF for being rather undiplomatic when he doesnt believe something,
but now he's gone all coy.

If I can demonstrate that something posted is untrue, then I'll call it out as bullshit.

But I wasn't there when the stories of the Bible occurred.

Only Ingwe was.

Go bother him.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Fubarski

If I can demonstrate that something posted is untrue, then I'll call it out as bullshit.

so there are things you 'dont believe' and then there are things you consider BS.

what you don't believe may in fact be total BS , but you cant be sure...

so you defer to simply not believing rather than calling it BS.

DBT Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

well you either believe in talkings snakes , virgin births, walking on water and corpses coming to life
and disappeariing into the clouds....or you don't.

..if you don't believe such , then how can it not be considered nonsense by you?

Simple minds caricature theological parables as a way of compensating for their lack of the capacity to acknowledge the inherent truth contained within the parables.

It interferes with their desperate need to feel superior.

I have the capacity to respect others by not denigrating their particular faith, tho I might not be of the same faith.

Parables for what? What is the creation account, God created the heavens and the earth, a parable for? What is the ressurection story, etc, etc, a parable for?

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F

so there are things you 'dont believe' and then there are things you consider BS.

what you don't believe may in fact be total BS , but you cant be sure...

so you defer to simply not believing rather than calling it BS.

Well, what you just posted is bullshit, and I'm sure.

And, something can be true, and *still* be bullshit.

But the bullshit you post, is just bullshit.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by DBT

Simple minds caricature theological parables ..

What is the ressurection story, etc, etc, a parable for?

Ive never heard the virgin birth or resurrection and ascension as being considered merely parables.

To christians those events actually took place just as described, ..Christians don't base their faith on parables.

X
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
X
Originally Posted by xxclaro
I agree, no need to denigrate anyone for their beliefs. Just out of curiosity, do you consider the stories of Genesis to be fact, as written,or allegorical?

IMO, everything that is contained within what people call the Bible, in all its variations, can be considered allegorical, framed for the purpose of edification.

Although, what is described therein might have happened exactly as described, and could still fulfill the purpose of edification.

IOW, the actual circumstance of the incident or behavior related is less important than the concept communicated by the recounting of the circumstance, as an object lesson.

Excellent,thank you.

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Ive never heard the virgin birth or resurrection and ascension as being considered merely parables.

What you've "heard of" isn't an argument for or against anything.

They might have happened, or might not, no one alive knows.

But even if they *were* parables, they communicate concepts that, if accepted, can change a person's behavior in what society at large would consider a positive way.

Which could be, but does not *have* to be, the way the Bible can be interpreted.

I
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I
I think if scientologists had any beliefs that didn't rely on faith, they could post em and support em,
without havin ta denigrate theology as bein illogical.

This thread was started by a creationist in order to denigrate science.

And rightfully so, cause science is lookin stoopid bein off by whatever billion years.

Assumin the *latest* "scientific" belief is accurate.

But all you got in defense of that stupidity is grade school retorts bout how aspects of theology don't jibe.

And that's no defense of the difference in faith "scientists" may have in the age of the universe.

As to defining the age of the universe, how much accuracy would you demand of the answer?

How many significant digits do you expect?

Do you understand the definition of significant digits? This is how scientists communicate information. The number itself defines the accuracy of the estimate. So when a number such as 1.37 times ten to the tenth is written, one knows the error is expected to be in the order of hundreds of millions of years. A rational person understands the concept of estimates and corrections as data is refined.

Modern and future studies may refine estimates to as low as 1.0 times ten to the tenth, or perhaps as high as 1.6 times ten to the tenth. But that does nothing to invalidate the science behind the estimates.

Those doing the laughing at science are the bigger fools.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
DBT Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

What you've "heard of" isn't an argument for or against anything.

But even if they *were* parables, they communicate concepts that, if accepted, can change a person's behavior in what society at large would consider a positive way.

Which could be, but does not *have* to be, the way the Bible can be interpreted.

What exactly does a creation story and a God that created the universe and all that goes with it convey to us as a parable?

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
scientists can and do admit to being wrong, whilst creationists remain adamant

Yeah right. Einstein's special relativity was universally accepted and Einstein lauded the week after it was published.

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
DBT Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Relatively has stood the test of time and review. Faith is held regardless of problems.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by nighthawk

Yeah right. Einstein's special relativity was universally accepted and Einstein lauded the week after it was published.

hilarious from someone who doesnt even have a clue from where your Catholic faiths canonical age law originated or when such
law was implemented...nor can any of the other babbling head CF christians pinpoint such age in the Bible.

and you are same christian that claims God is beyond 3D time and space realm , in complete contradiction to scripture.
and the same christian that claims the calamities of Job were natural and not moral..again in complete contradiction to scripture.

but You can just throw all that in the too hard basket and just keep believing 'what ever you want' ..as you yourself have suggested.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

But even if they *were* parables,....

what is the reason you don't believe in such events taken as FACT by christians?

(iF one don't believe 'He has Risen' then a person don't cut it as a christian pure and simple.
believing the resurrection can be reduced to mere parable also don't cut it)

and for to you to suggest they could be mere parables rather than fact, is kind of cheapening or ridiculing the basis of christian faith,
but feel free to go all coy and into denial.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

hilarious from someone who doesnt even have a clue from where your Catholic faiths canonical age law originated or when such
law was implemented...nor can any of the other babbling head CF christians pinpoint such age in the Bible.

and you are same christian that claims God is beyond #D time and space realm , in complete contradiction to scripture.
and the same christian that claims the calamities of Job were natural and not moral..again in complete contradiction to scripture.

but You can just throw that in the too hard basket and just keep believing 'what ever you want' ..as you yourself have suggested.

That is so wrong I wouldn't know where to start. But you're impervious to rational argument anyway, switching to ad hominem attacks when things don't go your way. Keep on trolling.

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

That is so wrong I wouldn't know where to start. But you're impervious to rational argument, switching to ad hominem attacks when things don't go your way. Keep on trolling.

Simply reminding you of what you have posted in the past are not attacks.

and rational logical folk would be able to pinpoint the origin and history behind the canonical laws of the Roman catholic church they belong to.

Re: Evolution is a myth? Please explain: #14014378 07/31/19
. A creator of the physical universe must exist outside the physical world (or he'd have to create himself which is nonsense).
Since time exists only in the physical universe by definition a creator cannot be subject to time, time does not exist for him,
he exists apart from the physical universe. So it is not irrational to say the creator always existed.

Re: Evolution is a myth? Please explain: [Re: nighthawk] #14041146 08/11/19
You fail to distinguish moral evil or wickedness from physical "evil" such as calamity, disaster, etc,
Allowing moral evil to exist is not the same as creating moral evil.

NO , it seems you fail to realize Job suffers evils/calamities as result of both physical and moral evil brought on directly
by an arrangement between God and Satan.

switching to ad hominem attacks when things don't go your way. Keep on trolling.

Ad hominem?...lol...

desperate over sensitive Christians falsely assuming victim status at the drop of a hat ..nothing new about that.

DBT Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Rational arguments are supported by evidence.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
DBT,...Well just like you have said (words to the effect) Christians manage to weave a tangled web for themselves.

IF its not Bible contradicting Bible , being ambiguous or simply void of sufficient information, then Its christians in denial or contradicting Bible scripture,
....and/or ducking ,weaving, distracting, fabricating (any or all) as may conveniently suite.

When such discussions come up on the CF, there's usually a circus clown car that the theological minded types poor out of.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
. A creator of the physical universe must exist outside the physical world (or he'd have to create himself which is nonsense). Since time exists only in the physical universe by definition a creator cannot be subject to time, time does not exist for him,he exists apart from the physical universe. So it is not irrational to say the creator always existed.

Good example, that's Metaphysics 101, pure logic, which you can't or won't understand.

As far as your contention that God created evil I tried explaining the error in that statement with a metaphysical argument and a translational argument which was supported by numerous sources from a variety of denominations. All I got from you was a restatement that God created evil. Felt kinda like banging my head against a wall but maybr somebody reading along got it. You seem to think your interpretation of scripture is right and all other interpretations are wrong and not worthy of consideration.

And now I'm told that conventional scientific thought is all wrong and not supported by the evidence. What the hell does the scientific community as a whole think matter anyway if it doesn't fit your agenda.

Speaking of evidence, I supplied you with evidence that God exists. You simply ignored it because it's inconvenient and because the evidence does not constitute an ontological proof. Ignoring that theologically an ontological proof is not possible.

Which explains a lot.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
You cant even explain away your earthly catholic canonical law, but you attempt metaphysics.

do you own a clown suit or just rent one?

why does scripture have to be so complex and convoluted for some christians?

As far as your contention that God created evil I tried explaining the error in that statement ......

You seem to think your interpretation of scripture is right and all other interpretations
are wrong and not worthy of discussion.

but you are not discussing, since you straight out told told me and others that they are in error.

Why

Page 15 of 17 1 2 13 14 15 16 17

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

505 members (219DW, 1936M71, 1badf350, 222Sako, 1234, 2500HD, 49 invisible), 2,425 guests, and 1,234 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,438
Posts18,489,412
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.