Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
RickBin Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by MOGC
I can't imagine why you're taking the jolt of a 1700 fps load when shooting TSS at a 40-yard pheasant. That extra velocity isn't doing anything positive for you except making you slower on the second shot and knocking your dental fillings loose.

Update:

Tripled up on geese (Ross’) with this load at, oh, 35 yards (before the flare).

Guide was leery of #7s, but the geese were mighty convinced.

Even at (claimed) 1700 fps, recoil was much less than the 3-inch #2 steel at 1500 fps I had been shooting.

My typical late-season pheasant load (for Mexico) is 1 5/8 nickel-plated 5 lead, and I know they outkick this 1 oz load as well.

Haven’t used the HW15 on pheasant yet since I haven’t hunted Mexico in a few years, but after breaking them in on geese …

These things are mean!

"What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value. Heaven knows how to put a proper price upon its goods; and it would be strange indeed if so celestial an article as freedom should not be highly rated." Thomas Paine
GB1

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Spectacular patterns. Impressive.

As for a pheasant load, imo, you just found the solution to a problem that doesnt exist. At a much higher price to boot!

Originally Posted by Archerhunter

Quit giving in inch by inch then looking back to lament the mile behind ya and wonder how to preserve those few feet left in front of ya. They'll never stop until they're stopped. That's a fact.
D
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
D
Originally Posted by Reloader7RM
Really liking the CYL patterns. That's going to be a wicked load.

Just as an FYI, don't go up in pellet size as the patterns will get tighter. This is not comparable to lead.

Same here. Like those patterns. THANKS for sharing.

D
Campfire Regular
Online Happy
Campfire Regular
D
I wonder what the velocity bleed off is, small diameter TSS, like steel sheds velocity rather quickly the faster you start it out.

We use 5/8oz #9s in our 28ga guns at 1400fps and they hammer out farther than most people should be shooting.

NRA Endowed Patron Life Benefactor
GOA Life Member
TSRA Life Member
NSCA Life Member
RickBin Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Crockettnj
Spectacular patterns. Impressive.

As for a pheasant load, imo, you just found the solution to a problem that doesnt exist. At a much higher price to boot!

Keep in mind, we are non-toxic statewide for all hunting. I had to find alternatives to lead. None are less expensive ..,

"What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value. Heaven knows how to put a proper price upon its goods; and it would be strange indeed if so celestial an article as freedom should not be highly rated." Thomas Paine
IC B2

RickBin Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Darryle
I wonder what the velocity bleed off is, small diameter TSS, like steel sheds velocity rather quickly the faster you start it out.

We use 5/8oz #9s in our 28ga guns at 1400fps and they hammer out farther than most people should be shooting.

Yep. I duplex #9 TSS/#7 steel in 20 and use similar TSS loads to you in 28, and it’s amazing what they will do if you can put them on the bird.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

582 members (1lessdog, 12savage, 1936M71, 16penny, 01Foreman400, 160user, 54 invisible), 2,548 guests, and 1,333 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,679
Posts18,474,913
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.