Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I've got a 97 Dodge 2500 4x4 CTD. I had the death wobble in that beast. Had the front end rebuilt with poly bushings, new ball joints and a Thuren track bar(it's massive). Also had a Dynatrac front axle kit with the Warn hubs installed and so far, so good. No problems since the rebuild.

Last edited by tdbob; 09/18/19.

Just down the road from The City of Lost Souls in the Land of the Blind.
Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
My 2012 Ram 2500 4x4 started doing it at 75,000 miles. I replaced the tract bar which fixed it.

HMM-161, HMM-364
Semper Fi Brothers
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Ford 3/4 & 1 ton bad track bar or outer tie rods (4).

Older Dodge 3/4 & 1 ton likely steering dampner.

Paul.

"Kids who grow up hunting, fishing & trapping, do not mug little old Ladies"
J
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by slumlord
Can't help the OP with his 2012

However if, for anyone else- on a 99-04 250/350, 4wd. I had wobble from this needle pack bearing that is inside the hub. Little fugger ain't much bigger than a quarter. If its bad, you'll feel like youre driving on a washboard. Wobble and bobble. Makes a hell of a fuss even if those little rollers are rusty or pitted.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

How they get rusty, Slum. Drive through a foot of water?

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by Tarkio
Was driving one of my service trucks and came into a bridge. Not going very fast, ~50mph. The front end (both tires in unison) wobbling left and right.

I can recreate it at a slow speed so something is up. If I turn the wheel a little and get some lateral pressure on the tires it stops immediately.

What is going on here? A bad tire?

If your rig has an inverted-Y steering setup, it's almost designed-in. As soon as there is any slop at any tie rod / drag link / control arm end, you'll get a positive-feedback cycle going. I would check the torque on all rod ends / connections to the frame, axle, etc, and maybe even tighten them beyond spec. That resolved the issue for my '05 Jeep TJ. Oddly enough, my '98, which had the same geometry, never had any death wobble and I was running 35s w/o a steering stabilizer on it, so the make or break line is at the individual vehicle level, not across the board for a particular make / model / year.

If it is not an inverted-Y steering geometry, I'd still do the same checks to be sure everything is appropriately tight, but I can't offer any specific help.

Good luck and, uh, "wear your seatbelt." (My jeep, w/ the doors off, would have launched me out onto the asphalt at about 50 mph the first time it happened and I was unprepared, 'cept for my seatbelt holding me in.)

Tom

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
IC B2

J
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
J
On 2004 Toyota Tacoma with 215,000.?

I Dindo Nuffin
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by EZEARL
Can be caused by a number of things. Worn steering components,bad ball joints,worn or loose wheel bearings,loose lug nuts,out of alignment front end,out of balance wheels. Scary ain't it!
The bold area, + steering dampener wear and bushings can/will cause it.. Especially on trucks with solid front axles (ala Ford F-350/450 etc..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by jaguartx
On 2004 Toyota Tacoma with 215,000.?

Ya, fricken outrageous. It ain’t like Ford/Dodge/Chevy just recently started building trucks.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by jaguartx
Originally Posted by slumlord
Can't help the OP with his 2012

However if, for anyone else- on a 99-04 250/350, 4wd. I had wobble from this needle pack bearing that is inside the hub. Little fugger ain't much bigger than a quarter. If its bad, you'll feel like youre driving on a washboard. Wobble and bobble. Makes a hell of a fuss even if those little rollers are rusty or pitted.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

How they get rusty, Slum. Drive through a foot of water?

Probably because I used my truck for a TRUCK.

J
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
J
Yep. That's a dodge. frown

I Dindo Nuffin
IC B3

H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by Redneck
Can be caused by a number of things. Worn steering components,bad ball joints,worn or loose wheel bearings,loose lug nuts,out of alignment front end,out of balance wheels. Scary ain't it!
The bold area, + steering dampener wear and bushings can/will cause it.. Especially on trucks with solid front axles (ala Ford F-350/450 etc..

On my '11 F250 we chased it a bit @ 30K Mi or so. I think it was when I swapped on a set of Nitto Trail Grapplers. The solution was more air in the tires. I was running them @ the 65# listed on the door and I guess that allowed too much flex, or so they told me. Ran them @ 75#, no more wobble. I'm over 150K now and no more problem once we nailed down the air-pressure issue. I've got the 4th and 5th sets of tires for this truck mounted on rims. Nitto Terra Grapplers need at least 70# of air to ensure no vibrations. Nitto Exo Grapplers can be run @ 65# and high with no issues. I suspect the stiffer sidewall of the Exo is helpful in this situation.

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Balance the tires, look for going out of round or bent wheel. New bushings either not installed, or installed wrong

J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
It doesn't have a steering stabilizer...does it?

I am MAGA.
J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
Ha! Steering stabilizer been suggested before.

I am MAGA.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by horse1

On my '11 F250 we chased it a bit @ 30K Mi or so. I think it was when I swapped on a set of Nitto Trail Grapplers. The solution was more air in the tires. I was running them @ the 65# listed on the door and I guess that allowed too much flex, or so they told me. Ran them @ 75#, no more wobble. I'm over 150K now and no more problem once we nailed down the air-pressure issue. I've got the 4th and 5th sets of tires for this truck mounted on rims. Nitto Terra Grapplers need at least 70# of air to ensure no vibrations. Nitto Exo Grapplers can be run @ 65# and high with no issues. I suspect the stiffer sidewall of the Exo is helpful in this situation.

Ford already replaced the stuff I mentioned above on my '17 F-350 with (at the time) about 15K on the odometer... I know they'll have to do it again when I reach 30K. Every solid front axle truck I've ever had develops that wobble.. Don't know why they can't cure that chit..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
New stabilizer time!

H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by horse1

Ford already replaced the stuff I mentioned above on my '17 F-350 with (at the time) about 15K on the odometer... I know they'll have to do it again when I reach 30K. Every solid front axle truck I've ever had develops that wobble.. Don't know why they can't cure that chit..

My door jamb says 65PSI. I start there and if there's even a hint of wobble/vibration I add 5#, and continue until there's no wobble or even a hint of vibration. I'm not saying that suspension components don't wear out, or that adding air pressure is a cure-all, just keep this in the memory banks as another tool in the tool-box.

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Ball joints, tie rod ends, wheel bearings. Replace all that and report back.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

536 members (1minute, 2500HD, 1badf350, 270cowboy, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 55 invisible), 2,341 guests, and 1,349 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,168
Posts18,503,103
Members73,993
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.