Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Wow! Just wow! 😎

And congrats to your son, lots of folks wait their whole lives to take a buffalo 😎

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Please come back and post pics of your birds, Iv also missed them. and would like to see more of your new bird!

Deer Camp! about as good as it gets!
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
I’ve missed your Falconry Friday post. Keep them coming.

John

If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land. 2 Chronicles 7:14
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by UtahLefty
Originally Posted by LeroyBeans
Amazing pics for sure.

Your Ferruginous looks like it might have killed a skunk, (pic 224, https://www.klarphotography.com/p30472897/h98F36147#hd4c17005). Is that what it is and how did it turn out for you? Never thought about one taking something I might not want them to take. Could be a surprise now and then.

striped skunks are not protected in Utah, so no biggie. Other stuff that is protected has to be reported and is subject to the let it lay rule: you have to report to the state within 24 hours (just an email) and they'll cross reference that with your annual kill reports. Endangered animals or species of concern level II have to be reported to both the state and the USFWS (such as the burrowing owl the HAHAs killed a few years ago). I'm sure the system could be abused, but I've never gotten more than a "thanks for the report" response so far.

The let it lay rule means the bird can feed on the carcass, but it cannot be taken into possession -- it has to be left where it fell, which usually means burying it to get the bird to transfer off of it.

Thanks for the response. I figured it was something like that, but was wondering more what it would be like if the skunk sprayed. Had not thought of the ESA issue.

U
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
U
The worst kill we ever had to deal with was a long-tailed weasel the HAHAs killed their first year. They're mustelids and the hahas were not very efficient killers at the time. There was stink everywhere. My daughter (the other falconer) was there and was dry heaving for about a half hour. We had to throw both gloves away....

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Very nice to see you posting again..... How did the custom rifle you were building turn out?

I'm also interested in more details about :

"Cooling down a 1900# carcass in 90*F heat was one of the biggest logistical challenges I've faced! All worked out though -- I brought a 20 cu ft freezer and propane generator and it worked perfectly!"

Did you have to debone it all first to make it fit? I think buffalo steak is the best red meat I've ever eaten.... congratulations.

Please don't feed the trolls!
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Missed these posts. Thanks for stopping in!

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

U
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
U
2ndwind,

I used to have a custom made 4x4x3' cooler that I used for warm weather hunts. It finally fell apart and in looking for a replacement of similar size, it became apparent that it'd be cheaper to just buy a 20 cu ft freezer and a generator so that's what I did.

I pre-filled the freezer with eight 6-gallon water jugs and froze them to -16*F, which had to have been about 500# of ice.

[Linked Image]

We took four legs in game bags plus 3 bags of deboned meat back to camp. Once there we layered the four legs and ice jugs in the freezer with one bag on top . The two additional bags didn't fit and we put them it traditional coolers using the leftover frozen 6-gal jugs. We turned the freezer on and it kept the meat at 35* for 3 days on my flatbed trailer.

[Linked Image]

For smaller hunts (like antelope season coming up on Tuesday) we'll not take the trailer or the generator as they'll be day trips. The freezer fits in the truck and should function fine as a big "cooler" with the pre-frozen ice jugs.

U
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
U
BTW, the finished deboned and wrapped meat came to about 14 cu ft -- we could fit an antelope on top of it in our 15 cu ft basement freezer but that's about it. Good thing we have more than one freezer!

J
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by GTC22
You have been sorely missed. 3 years already, holy cow we're getting old!

This

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
UtahLefty, My wife and I went deer hunting for our honeymoon and it was her idea to do so.... While we dated I had prepared a wide variety of venison dishes for her and being a former farmgirl she thought the concept of "free meat" was just great.

We are coming up on our 22 nd hunting season together. We do all the processing field to fork..... We don't have a walk in cooler to age the meat (yet) but run an extra refrigerator to keep the meat cool for at least a week before we cut wrap and freeze it. We think of ourselves as "trophy meat hunters".... Always interested to see how others go the extra mile to properly care for game meat.

We got a Sous-vide machine last year and can't say enough about how well it works on lean game meat.

Please don't feed the trolls!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Remember, and frankly one of the real highlights of this board. Thanks for sharing again.

Be Polite , Be Professional , but have a plan to kill everybody you meet
-General James Mattis United States Marine Corps

Nothing is darker than a mau mau's moo moo.
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Falconry Friday was for the birds...

Last edited by Badgerloader; 09/07/19.
S
sse Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
welcome back UL...been a while

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
I remember and miss FF! Thanks for the post, keep them coming!

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Welcome back!

Official member of "The Clan of Turd-like People"

[Linked Image]
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

527 members (257wthbylover, 1minute, 219 Wasp, 007FJ, 2500HD, 65 invisible), 2,284 guests, and 1,186 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,124
Posts18,502,421
Members73,987
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.