Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by jwall
Originally Posted by NVhntr
Originally Posted by Blackheart
Originally Posted by Blackheart
I never liked it. In fact, despite having owned dozens of centerfire rifles, both larger and smaller, have never owned one in my life and doubt I ever will..

I hear it's the preferred cartridge of queers and pansies so I'm sure you'd love it.

I just know it works, and you're a moron.
Not surprised you have personal knowledge of queers and pansies.

And by his own testimony he has NO experience with A 270. crazy

Jerry
[/quote] I didn't say that Jerry.. My sons and my long time hunting partner use .270's. I've shot them and seen them shoot deer with them. Never was impressed enough to want one of my own or figured they did anything I couldn't do just as well with my .30-06. In fact, the first year I took my #1 son deer hunting he used his .270 and poked fun at my pipsqueak .30-30. Long story short, we both killed bucks that morning. Both shot double lung at under 75 yards. His went more than twice as far before it fell. He never poked fun at my .30-30 again after that. I haven't had a shot at a deer farther than 120 yards in the last 20 years where I hunt and the vast majority of my shots have been inside 75. Tell me what advantage a .270 is going to provide over my .30-06, .308, 6.5 Creedmoor or even my lowly .30-30 at those ranges ? This year, for the first time in over 2 decades, I will be hunting some new ground where the chance for a shot out to 300 yards exists. I will be taking my .243, 6.5 Creed or .30-06 depending on my mood and I still don't feel handicapped in the least by not having a .270.

GB1

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I started hunting with a 7X57 and it killed game very well! Eventually I picked up a 270 and for 11 years it was the only rifle I hunted with and it seemed to always kill game same as my 7X57 did. For the last 4 years I've hunted with a 6.5X55 swede and interestingly enouph its panning out to be more of exactly the same. In fact I can't tell the difference between the 7X57, 270, or 6.5X55 swede!

I have heard that cartridges are more alike than different! Pick a good bullet and go kill [bleep] it isn't that difficult and game die easy when the bullet is placed properly. If I had to pick which cartridge of the three it would be the 6.5 swede purely bases on the fact that I can get Lapua Brass for it and it kills exactly the same as a 7X57 or 270

Trystan

Last edited by Trystan; 09/20/19.

Good bullets properly placed always work, but not everyone knows what good bullets are, or can reliably place them in the field
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by Trystan
I started hunting with a 7X57 and it killed game very well! Eventually I picked up a 270 and for 11 years it was the only rifle I hunted with and it seemed to always kill game same as my 7X57 did. For the last 4 years I've hunted with a 6.5X55 swede and interestingly enouph its panning out to be more of exactly the same. In fact I can't tell the difference between the 7X57, 270, or 6.5X55 swede!

I have heard that cartridges are more alike than different! Pick a good bullet and go kill [bleep] it isn't that difficult and game die easy when the bullet is placed properly. If I had to pick which cartridge of the three it would be the 6.5 swede purely bases on the fact that I can get Lapua Brass for it and it kills exactly the same as a 7X57 or 270

Trystan

Interesting you say that.I see a great difference between all of the above. I have used the 7x57 on elk and ttsx's and although it worked, it worked about as well as my 25/06 with the same Barnes bullet. My confidence steps up with a .270 or 30/06 and ttsx's. Bull elk are the baseline in this region. My little old opinion.Cheers

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by comerade
Originally Posted by Trystan

Trystan

Interesting you say that.I see a great difference between all of the above. I have used the 7x57 on elk and ttsx's and although it worked, it worked about as well as my 25/06 with the same Barnes bullet. My confidence steps up with a .270 or 30/06 and ttsx's. Bull elk are the baseline in this region. My little old opinion.Cheers

Makes sense if your useing Barnes bullets. I've always used cup and cores. In my experience hunting with friends who use copper bullets they require a more powerful firearm to kill on par with a cup and core of a smaller cartridge.

Last edited by Trystan; 09/20/19.

Good bullets properly placed always work, but not everyone knows what good bullets are, or can reliably place them in the field
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Don't have one at the moment. At least not until I screw that barrel on.

It is an excellent caliber, tho not quite as versatile as the 30-06 for all NA game. Exclude the big bears, and the .270 shines. Not that I know anything about shooting big bears - I'm just going by the rumors..... :

Several times coming on gallon or more sized piles of steaming brown bear poop convinced me my '06 might be undergunning too, should the need arise, so I bought a .338WM.

It worked too- the bears are skart of me- never had to use it. Word must have got around - and they can't tell the difference between the various rifles I might be carrying, apparently.

I'm thinking swapping out that '06 barrel for a .270 is gonna be safe....... smile

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

IC B2

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
I like my model 70 .270's a lot, all pre 64 M70 fwts. one factory, one with a custom wood stock and one re barreled in a MCM edge. a very nice balance of recoil and power.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Some people like a 270 and the other people vote democrat....

Old Turd- Deplorable- Unrepentant Murderer- Domestic Violent Extremist

Just "Campfire Riffraff and Trash"

This will be my last post! Flave 1/3/21
E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
I love the .270 Win.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Good Morning, Mr. Ken

Old Turd- Deplorable- Unrepentant Murderer- Domestic Violent Extremist

Just "Campfire Riffraff and Trash"

This will be my last post! Flave 1/3/21
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I have had a 270 Win Ruger 77 RS since mid seventies. I bedded the action and barrel. Stripped and resealed the wood.
Put in a Timney trigger. Put Weaver Pivot Mounts in so can very quickly switch from scope to iron and back and yes
it hold zero between switches. It also holds zero for ever in all conditions. I have a fixed 6 Leupy on it.
I have killed a lot of things from red squirrels to elk with it using mostly Partitions with one shot kills.

Yes I have multiple calibers in that performance range, but......

I have plans to have it buried with me.

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
Albert Einstein

At Khe Sanh a sign read "For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected never knew".
IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
When I was younger, I felt that the 270 was too plebeian, too common, for my sophisticated take on rifle cartridges, so I ignored it. Sometime in my late 40's I decided to see what I was missing and have come to like the 270 such that my primary elk rifles are chambered in 270, a CLR and a Remington 760.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I've had at least one around for 40 years. Will be using a Barrett Fieldcraft soon and a sightless pre'64 featherweight on easier trips.

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I’ve never shot one. Went the 7RM route a long time ago, but I’ve always thought a 270 would have been just as good for 90% of my use. A couple of months ago, I picked up a M70 SS Classic Featherweight in 270. Beautiful rifle with a little wear on it. Have accumulated the components and a scope, looking forward to loading for it and shooting a 270 for the first time.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I can't be convinced that there is some virtue in a bore diameter or any lack of virtue in any one either.

Amen! Preach it Brother!

What fresh Hell is this?
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I have never owned a .270-until now. I traded for a Winchester Model 70, with an old Bushell scope on it. The rifle shoots fantastically well, with Hornady Whitetail ammo. I will be killing some deer with it this fall, unless I find someone that wants it more than I do.

People tend tof focus on caliber and action length, rather than where the difference really is, and that is the appropriate bullet for the job. That being said, I am becoming a real fan of the short-action cartridges, like the Creed, .260, and .308.

Last edited by sbhooper; 09/21/19.

You did not "seen" anything, you "saw" it.
A "creek" has water in it, a "crick" is what you get in your neck.
Liberals with guns are nothing but hypocrites.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I have two 270 Wins (P64 70 Featherweight and a Tikka SL) and a 270 WSM 70 Classic. I’ve used a bunch of other stuff for elk and deer. Haven’t shot anything to this point with anything els where I feel like the easier shooting 270’s with great bullets would have been a problem. I’m not a LR hunter and try to keep my shooting inside of 600 and most of the time I’d love to put powder burns on stuff if it’s possible. One thing I’ve noticed over a bunch of 270’s between friends and family is we haven’t had a 270 that’s ever been hard to find accurate shooting stuff pretty easily.

Semper Fi
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by Pappy348
I've seldom, if ever been without one for 35 or 36 years. It's an excellent balance of accuracy, flat trajectory, and reasonable recoil. With new powders it's even better. A 150gr bullet at over 3000 is easy and safe to do now, and with proper construction should easily take anything in the lower 48 at any sane range. Twist it a hair tighter for something like 170gr Bergers, and it can go long(er). Ammo is easy to find at all price levels, as are components and data. Lots of other rounds can do the same job, but most aren't quite as "accessible" in regard to ammo and rifle model availability.

What I can't understand is why so many people take a dislike to a particular cartridge, often without ever trying it, or why they get their feelers hurt when their pets start to flounder in the market against new stuff. Short of ammo actually being discontinued, what's the big deal? Is it some kind of personal validation thing? As long as what I have works for me, I could GAS what someone else uses.

Plus one
Use what you like and let everyone else too. The 270 is a fine American cartridge and has put a lot of meat on the table.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I enjoy shooting various chamberings, some larger and some smaller, and I've had several .270s over the years but I'm not planning to ever be without one. 270 Win. will always be among my favorites.

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
I have 2. A Win M70 and a Rem Mountain Rifle that is my most accurate rifle.

Neil

Dong Ha Vietnam '67
P
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
P

My #1.
Have owned 14 over the last 40 years.
Perfect for PA and NY bucks.

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
Page 3 of 16 1 2 3 4 5 15 16

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

543 members (007FJ, 1Akshooter, 10ring1, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 160user, 62 invisible), 2,452 guests, and 1,375 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,046
Posts18,500,900
Members73,987
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.