-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I like them. No issue on emptying the mag without chambering a round.

I've always been different with one foot over the line.....
HR IC

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by jwall
Originally Posted by Pappy348

Access to the action, by floorplate or removeable magazine is handy at times.

It seems to me THAT is ignored or not mentioned by many.
Also if anything gets below the follower of a blind magazine, the stock has to be removed
to clear it out.

My first REAL deer rifle (AFAIC) was a 700 BDL in 1975. In all these years I never have
had a floor plate to pop open or get opened unintentionally.
*now I know of one a hunter had that opened UNintentionally; care to guess what
BRAND it was ?

Jerry

Yup. I was futzing around with my Fieldcraft trying to figure out if the mag box was floating free, and got the follower cocked. Had a bit of a time getting it back in place. Didn't want to pull the stock since I left my 80 inch-pound driver in my other pants (the ones I never had).

The lack of an opening in that one is a concession I'm willing to make, everything else considered. But I like the Alpine almost as much, it has a floorplate, and cost about a third of the price.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Most of us could lighten our load not on our rifles, but on our waistline.

Drop ten pounds and you wont give a damn about 4-6 ounces.

There is no way to coexist no matter how many bumper stickers there are on Subaru bumpers!

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Hawk_Driver

Sorry, but my standard retort to that logic is that I carry my rifle with my hands and arms, or slung on my shoulder, and that's where the difference is felt (probably not 4-6 oz though), not by my legs or lungs. Paring down one's ass is well worth doing, as is exercising to gain strength, endurance, and lung capacity. Been using a rower for a month or so, and can already feel a big difference.

A similar subject is the use of tactical-type scopes on hunting rifles. My main gripe with those (aside from the reticles) is not the 20+ ounces, but the bulky form factor that it results from. I find tall turrets, side-focus knobs, large eyepieces and objectives and high mounts decidedly unwieldy on a rifle that gets carried a lot and shot a little, and also slow to mount, aim, and shoot. Edit: I just mounted a 20oz Tract on my FN .270, a pretty heavy rifle even bare, and sighted it in. After handling it a bit, I ripped it off and replaced it with a closeout Weaver V7. Dropped 9oz, but more important, improved the balance and feel a bunch. Still goes over 9lbs, but might actually go hunting now.

Last edited by Pappy348; 09/21/19.

What fresh Hell is this?
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Like the ADL style, no problems for me.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
IC B2

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I think it is a matter of how often you're going to empty and reload your rifle. Personally I don't care for blind mags, because there are scenarios where I might need to unload and load again several times in the course of a days hunting, and cycling the rounds through the action each time's a bit tedious. In fact that is part of the reason the majority of my repeaters have detachable magazines.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S

This^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

Ready Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Thanks all, for your thoughts and contributions. Especially for the makes and models.

I was thinking - KISS.

Keep it simple, Stupid.

A blind magazine, stainless short bolt action rifle in .308 Win. balanced on the front screw with a 18" threaded barrel and suppressor, stiff composite stock, a Montana Sling and Talley Lightweight or Leupold Backcountry Mounts holding a Leupold FX 6x36 scope with LR Duplex.

Can there be a more simply thought-out blueprint for big game hunting?

Then I realize, thats a Kimber Adirondack and I suddenly loose interest. LOL

[Linked Image from kimberamerica.com]

Where am I wrong?

Member of the Merry Band of turdlike People.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Add the Winchester Model 54.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by Ready

A blind magazine, stainless short bolt action rifle in .308 Win. balanced on the front screw with a 18" threaded barrel and suppressor, stiff composite stock, a Montana Sling and Talley Lightweight or Leupold Backcountry Mounts holding a Leupold FX 6x36 scope with LR Duplex.

Can there be a more simply thought-out blueprint for big game hunting?

Where am I wrong?

You’re not wrong and other than going 20” on the barrel that’s exactly what I put together this year.

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

Rem 700, 308 cut to 20” threaded for a muffler
McM mountian rifle ADL
Triggertech
Nightforce sitting in Talleys

IC B3

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I have 3. High Brass' Savage 110 .243 we bought him for his first rifle, Rem 660, and my Win M70 classic stainless in a Winlite stock. I like a hinged floor plate better than a detachable mag or blind mag.

The Karma bus always has an empty seat when it comes around.- High Brass

There's battle lines being drawn
Nobody's right if everybody's wrong
D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
I really like blind magazines! For rough country they typically offer a lighter weight, a more rugged rifle that has a nice feel to it and there is no floor plate to open at the wrong time; as has happened.

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
I refuse to buy a rifle with a blind magazine. Used to own a Kimber Montana but one hunting season cured me. We are required by law to empty the gun anytime we go into a vehicle moving from spot to spot and (obviously) I do the same whenever I get home... and I unloading by cycling the action was a huge pain.

I much prefer flush fit mags (ala Browning X Bolt and Sako 85). Hinged floor plates are fine too.

God bless America.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I prefer a blind magazine, and love the Barrett and Kimber... I just can't relate to the "pain" of that first world problem of having to cycle the bolt to unload.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Originally Posted by Brad
I prefer a blind magazine, and love the Barrett and Kimber... I just can't relate to the "pain" of that first world problem of having to cycle the bolt to unload.

This, and generally I’m not getting in and out of a vehicle very often when hunting so it’s really not an issue.

I like not having my hand on cold metal when carrying my rifles hunting as I’ve never grown fond of slings. That and I’m cheap, so no bottom metal usually saves me money on hunting rifles. Pure range guns are another story.

Plus like fubar mentioned, I prefer the more rounded bottom of an adl style for carrying a hunting rifle.

"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take"- Michael Scott
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B

Do you prefer boots that weigh 5 pounds apiece?

laissez les bons temps rouler
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by irfubar
aalf, I have converted several Mausers to blind magazines and it results in a good weight reduction.

Have you any idea what the weight savings would be is starting a custom project from scratch and going with an ADL style bottom on a 98 as opposed to a full steel hinged bottom?

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by battue

Do you prefer boots that weigh 5 pounds apiece?

Lol, so true... ask any world-class cyclist if he wants to lose weight off his bike... not all weight is created equal, and the idea body weight is the same as gear weight is misinformed at best.

And btw, I don’t have any weight to lose... I’m pretty close to my ideal weight, but I’ll shed weight on gear anywhere I can.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
What the horse has to carry to the finish line is the reason you don't see any fat jockeys. smile

Last edited by battue; 09/21/19.

laissez les bons temps rouler
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
To each, his own.........and having said that, I prefer a floorplate that will allow me to unload the rifle that way, rather than one cartridge at a time. As far as weight goes, the difference is of no concern to me, and I doubt it is enough to ever matter.

Same way with accuracy. I have a Remington LVSF in 243. The factory story was ADL style. I never liked it, and put a B&C Alaskan T1 stock on it, BDL style. Not one bit of difference in the accuracy department, and I like the rifle a lot better now.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

588 members (12344mag, 160user, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 01Foreman400, 1beaver_shooter, 62 invisible), 2,400 guests, and 1,246 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,269
Posts18,486,588
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.