Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter

Last night I woke to find a young man standing at the foot of my bed. He was wearing white shorts and a white Tee shirt with a white shirt unbuttoned. He was an unclear ghostly image. He then shook my bed then ran out the door.

You could say I saw a demon (I don't believe in ghosts), you would be incorrect. You could say I had a hallucination, and you would be correct, sort of.

What this is? Sleep paralysis.

Sleep paralysis is a feeling of being conscious but unable to move. It occurs when a person passes between stages of wakefulness and sleep. During these transitions, you may be unable to move or speak for a few seconds up to a few minutes. Understand that a few seconds can seem like an extended period.

The issue is that being in REM sleep you can still dream. In that it is scary your minds builds things, scary things. Like nightmares you can see, or believe you can see.

It is not indicative of a mental illness but is a disruption in the sleep cycle. Children have these, we call them night terrors. The developing mind of a child is prone to that.

I have had these off and on throughout my life. Always associated with extreme or prolonged stress. That is a trigger, and a common one.

Of course when I fully wakened I knew what it was, still shaken though. It is unsettling.

The older I become the more I am convinced that the voice of honor in a man's heart is the voice of GOD.
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My wife and her brother have that!

Well we're Green and we're Gold, and we play better when it's cold. All us Cheese heads have our favorite superstar. We love Brett Favre.
J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
Jeezus....dont you ever have any pleasant stories??

I am MAGA.
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
"I know the voices in my head aren't real, but man, do they come up with some really good ideas!"
Jerry

Ignorance can be fixed. Stupid is forever!
J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Had that several times after filing for divorce. Would wake up feeling evil nearby. Terror. Paralyzed.

Simple cure.

Say, "Get thee behind me satan, in the name of Jesus Christ.

Never happened again.

PTL, Jesus is my friend. When He is with you, who can be against you (of any account, anyway)?

Last edited by jaguartx; 09/20/19.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
IC B2

J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
You guys just aint mean enough.

I am MAGA.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Be thankful the dude in white didn't Fart Rape you.

Last edited by High_Noon; 09/20/19.

l told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. Make your life go here. Here's where the peoples is. Mother Gue, I says, the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world, and by God, I was right.
- Del Gue
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I had a dream the other night where Roy Clarke done visited me and shook the bejesus outa my bed.

Was all "I'm a pickin...." and lookin at me like I was supposed to say something, then he'd say it again.

"I'm a pickin!!!!!......."

Hell, I don't know what I was supposed to say, but when I came to, the wife was snoring something fierce.

I slapped her butt and pretended to be asleep.

Screw you! I'm voting for Trump again!

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the 24HCF.
B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
Originally Posted by Higbean
I had a dream the other night where Roy Clarke done visited me and shook the bejesus outa my bed.

Was all "I'm a pickin...." and lookin at me like I was supposed to say something, then he'd say it again.

"I'm a pickin!!!!!......."

Hell, I don't know what I was supposed to say,

LOL!!

J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
Jeebus....what are you doing up?

I am MAGA.
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Armednfree

Last night I woke to find a young man standing at the foot of my bed. He was wearing white shorts and a white Tee shirt with a white shirt unbuttoned. He was an unclear ghostly image. He then shook my bed then ran out the door.

You could say I saw a demon (I don't believe in ghosts), you would be incorrect. You could say I had a hallucination, and you would be correct, sort of.

Sleep paralysis is a feeling of being conscious but unable to move. It occurs when a person passes between stages of wakefulness and sleep. During these transitions, you may be unable to move or speak for a few seconds up to a few minutes. Understand that a few seconds can seem like an extended period.

The issue is that being in REM sleep you can still dream. In that it is scary your minds builds things, scary things. Like nightmares you can see, or believe you can see.

It is not indicative of a mental illness but is a disruption in the sleep cycle. Children have these, we call them night terrors. The developing mind of a child is prone to that.

I have had these off and on throughout my life. Always associated with extreme or prolonged stress. That is a trigger, and a common one.

Of course when I fully wakened I knew what it was, still shaken though. It is unsettling.
I will preface this with I am not trying to be offensive.

Why would "Sleep Paralysis" be any more believable in explanation than a ghost, hallucination or demon? Just because "scientists" have studied a thing, come up with their own explanation, and then, supposedly, built "evidence" that they are correct, doesn't mean they have come across some universal truth. If you are a believer, and I think you are, then you should realize that the "Scientific Method" is a device invented by man and as such is fallible. That doesn't even come into play here as I know of no instance that this has been replicated in a controlled environment.

IOW, Sleep Paralysis is just another possibility for unexplained phenomena. IME it appeals to non-believers in the supernatural and those striving for a scientific explanation to everything. I have no idea what you experienced but IMO Sleep Paralysis is no better of an explanation than the others. It is a common thing, regardless of what it is.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
The brain does weird things trying to sort out life experiences. Sleep is vital in this process.

For even when we were with you, we gave you this rule: "If a man will not work, he shall not eat."

2 Thessalonians 3:10
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by EthanEdwards

Why would "Sleep Paralysis" be any more believable in explanation than a ghost, hallucination or demon? Just because "scientists" have studied a thing, come up with their own explanation, and then, supposedly, built "evidence" that they are correct, doesn't mean they have come across some universal truth. If you are a believer, and I think you are, then you should realize that the "Scientific Method" is a device invented by man and as such is fallible. That doesn't even come into play here as I know of no instance that this has been replicated in a controlled environment.

IOW, Sleep Paralysis is just another possibility for unexplained phenomena. IME it appeals to non-believers in the supernatural and those striving for a scientific explanation to everything. I have no idea what you experienced but IMO Sleep Paralysis is no better of an explanation than the others. It is a common thing, regardless of what it is.

I did consider that since I do believe in demons, though not ghosts. Just too many times frankly. All while a child then when I was under extreme stress in the Navy. After the Navy suffering from PTSD. For it to stop and only come back after years of stress taking care of Diana. I don't believe it's demonic.

The older I become the more I am convinced that the voice of honor in a man's heart is the voice of GOD.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Why do they call it insomnia and not resisting a rest?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
An alien returned you to bed.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by EthanEdwards

I did consider that since I do believe in demons, though not ghosts. Just too many times frankly. All while a child then when I was under extreme stress in the Navy. After the Navy suffering from PTSD. For it to stop and only come back after years of stress taking care of Diana. I don't believe it's demonic.
As a believer, you know that you can't be possessed by a demon, but demons still like to mess with Christians from the outside. I'm not saying that's what it is...just saying. Secondly, you can believe or not believe in ghosts...up to you. That said, and I'm sure you actually believe in them, just not that they come back from the dead in the sense that Casper does or some such. But, consider that the Bible does say that it is very uncommon, but it also gives at least one example of that very thing happening.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J

I used to have occasional occurrences of what I assume was sleep paralysis but it's been a long time since the last episode now.

Mine never involved any 'dream' images' but more like my brain was awake but my body wasn't. I would struggle in my mind to move my hands, fingers, legs, feet, toes, open my eyes trying to fully wake my self up.

It was always scary but the first few times were real scary. Over time the more it happened I started to recognize it and the less scary it became. I never did become even remotely at ease with it, though.

The only thing I can think of what I imagine the feeling might be comparable to is being in a coma and realizing it then struggling with all your will power trying to force yourself to wake up.

What caused it to ever start and why I hasn't happened again, I haven't the slightest idea.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by mtnsnake

You should check to see if you got an anal probe. You could have a satellite dish hiding in there.

[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]

Z
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by stevelyn
Originally Posted by mtnsnake

You should check to see if you got an anal probe. You could have a satellite dish hiding in there.

I've been working in a prison for so long with prison bureaucrats I wouldn't even notice a probe.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If you believe the supernatural types, they would say you are most connected with the spiritual side when you are in that stage of sleep where you are nearly awake.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

232 members (10gaugemag, 450yukon, 1_deuce, 45_100, 338reddog, 39 invisible), 2,311 guests, and 1,144 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,386
Posts18,469,701
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.