Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
H
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
H
Bell had his system down, exactly like he wanted it and how it worked for him, with what he had at the time. Nobody is begrudging him that or debating it. We’re far more likely to plug 1100 hogs or white tails these days, at least around here. I’m betting he’d have another ‘system’ for that. wink

GB1

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I personally could give a ratsazzz what Bell did, what he used, his sytsem, etc. 99% of hunters on the planet will never get a shot at an elephant or cape buffalo.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by hh4whiskey
.. I’m betting he’d have another ‘system’ for that. wink

No betting or guessing required if people bother to read Bells books.

his 'other system' was a George Gibbs .256 bore Mannlicher dedicated to all his other meat/skin game getting
outside of DG.

irrelevant some say? , well no, since it falls right smack bang in the category of high SD- low recoil of the O.P.

Where at times Bell may not have shot a single elephant for a month or more, his .256 Gibbs meat getter got
a constant workout/had a full time job.

-Bulletproof and Waterproof don't mean Idiotproof.
H
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
H
Oh, I’m still betting he’d do things different today, no matter what he said 100 years ago. It’s fun to discuss, but we might as well argue over musket balls. They’ve got as much to do with big game hunting these days as what bell did with FMJs back when.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
....as what bell did with FMJs back when.

Most of Bells hunting was not with FMJs, he killed far more non-DG game for skins and meat with softs
than he did DG with FMJs.

iTs a shame you know so little about him , but do a lot of betting/guessing about him.

IC B2

H
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
H
Could be. Seems he was also defensive about soft points ever sullying his rigby barrels. I’d say there’s still just a few more things available today, than he ever knew about, and a lot less reason for us to worry about applying his limitations to what we aren’t ever likely to do in this day and age.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Seems he was also defensive about soft points ever sullying his rigby barrels...

well considering his .275 bore became his primary DG busting/elephant braining rifle.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
No idea where this has gone, just know for me the High Sectional Density 6.5's have worked very well for me. Some higher velocity (3K fps) or lower. Bottom line is shot placement. I do believe however that the 6.5's and some others do work better than the paper specs show. A bad hunter will still be a bad hunter, no matter what cartridge is used.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Starman thinks he's impressing us.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Trying to impress?..no ..but we do have a mind reading attempt fail on your part.

however I may encourage some to read WDM Bell for themselves, rather listen to incessant guesswork drivel.

some of the crap I've had read over the years on various forums concerning Bell show many have not read Bell,
and just parroted utter BS or half-ass way out of context inaccurate snippets.

Some of dumbest things I've heard;
- he was a Scrooge, - he was a poacher, - he was recoil shy, - he only shot elephants in open country.

IC B3

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by JGRaider
Originally Posted by elkhunternm
Originally Posted by Brad
Originally Posted by JGRaider
Originally Posted by las
I am assuming he was being facetious

No, he's legitimately that much of a stupidasss.

+29

+30

After reading his latest two efforts I'm going to give a "plus" to my own post......can I do that?

+31

Late to the party, +32.

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
+34

FÜCK Jeff_O!

MAGA
T
Trystan Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T

TSXs have been raping sectional density worshippers for years, due to good bullet design.

I beg to differ! A ttx with a sectional density of .320 traveling at 2800 fps will penetrate much further than a TTX with a sectional density of .225 traveling at 2800 fps both bullets weighing 180 grains.

In fact, the ttx is an excellent example of expressing the usefulness of high sectional density

Trystan

Last edited by Trystan; 09/22/19.

Good bullets properly placed always work, but not everyone knows what good bullets are, or can reliably place them in the field
H
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
H
Theoretically and in a vacuum, only.

SD is a measure of potential, only. Potential being realized is always dependent on other factors, not the potential itself. That’s the Achilles of trying to declare one aspect of what a bullet does, as more important than others. Whichever one expands less in the medium it hit, and sheds energy slower will penetrate the most.....no matter what the SD started out at. I have plenty of lower SD bullets that’ll out penetrate higher SD bullets on game.....purely because of construction and retained energy/velocity. Nobody is saying SD isn’t cool and can’t indicate certain things.....just like BC, weight, expansion, velocity, etc don’t work alone, either. Ifs and buts, candy and nuts.....the ONLY time SD is anywhere near a given as ‘better’, is IF ALL OTHER factors are equal. They rarely ever are.

Last edited by hh4whiskey; 09/22/19.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Sectional Density is a Myth that reliably soothes Window Licking Retards. Congratulations?!?

SD is a mathematical arrangement,which correlates that EVERY projectile of like diameter/mass,shares IDENTICAL SD "values",though their relative performance/integrity runs the literal gamut and then some. Hint.

Pardon my having gunned more boolits,than all of you gals combined...a few of which may have even been Mono's. Hint. Laughing!

Not too many thangs are gonna outdig a .224" 62X or a .257" 100 Blue Meanie and pardon my being afforded the luxuries,of not being forced to guess. No slighting how much I enjoy you Do NOTHING Kchunts trying to out-Plagiarize one another,with all of your "hard charging" reading. I've simply BT/DT,have all the T-shirts and then some. Hint.

.254 SD at 200yds and small change. Broke both shoulders,exited and prolly still going...given the tenacity of the 6BR chambering and a 105 A-Max. Rather nice blend of mettle,Precision and performance. Hint.

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

You Fhuqktards are a riot,ONLY because you are doing your best.

Bless your hearts for trying.

Hint.

LAUGHING!.....................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Trystan

TSXs have been raping sectional density worshippers for years, due to good bullet design.

I beg to differ! A ttx with a sectional density of .320 traveling at 2800 fps will penetrate much further than a TTX with a sectional density of .225 traveling at 2800 fps both bullets weighing 180 grains.

In fact, the ttx is an excellent example of expressing the usefulness of high sectional density

Trystan

I’ll take the penetration, but a bullet that expands and wrecks stuff.

Man, hunting season can’t happen fast enough. Stuffs getting crazy around here.

HH4 and Stick nailed it though. SD is cool but it’s a bunch of theoretical horseshit until you’ve killed a truckload of animals with both.

Last edited by beretzs; 09/22/19.

Semper Fi
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by Coyote_Hunter
Originally Posted by Trystan
Or the .270 150gr users

Hope to have info on this combo this coming elk season. Daughter #1 will be using 150g ABLR.

I've had excellent luck on game with the 150 gr. Sierra Game King and excellent accuracy with the 150 gr. Nosler Partition. I haven't used the ABLR in the .270 but have been trying for some time to get usable accuracy from the 7MM 150 gr. ABLR in three different 7x57s and a .280 Remington. So far three and four inch groups is what I'm getting. I used the 270 Game King on an antelope back in 2009 and the bullet hit at the short ribs and exited between the neck and the shoulder. Meat damage was not a problem on that light animal. It's worked quite well on deer and elk as well although I'll be using the Nosler Partition the next time I take the .270 for elk.
Paul B.

Our forefathers did not politely protest the British.They did not vote them out of office, nor did they impeach the king,march on the capitol or ask permission for their rights. ----------------They just shot them.
MOLON LABE
T
Trystan Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
[beretzs]

Man, hunting season can’t happen fast enough. Stuffs getting crazy around here.

[/quote]

Amen Brother!!! And as soon as rifle season opens I'm going to shoot an elk from one end to the other instead of halfway thru....😁😁😁

Trystan

Good bullets properly placed always work, but not everyone knows what good bullets are, or can reliably place them in the field
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Look like the Dwarf from the North is back. Nothing to offer

Page 4 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

279 members (257 mag, 1badf350, 160user, 260Remguy, 06hunter59, 257 roberts, 27 invisible), 2,024 guests, and 1,107 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,327
Posts18,526,535
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.