Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
I believe you are correct in your diagnosis, the parallax adjustment threads are not perfectly aligned with the scope tube. More common than we think, it is very difficult to perfectly jig a short workpiece like an objective lens carrier perfectly true for threading. Hence, your observation of crosshair movement on the target or collimator screen. But, in my experience collimators are poorly made and seldom if ever repeatable. So, using your method with the vise, you have removed one variable from your test. The next thing to consider, which may have skewed your results, is eye position behind the ocular lens. I think you need to move your eye to the rear, well past the optimum eye relief of your scope, until the image narrows and is surrounded by a hazy blackish "donut". Hold your eye as closely as you can in that position, having an assistant turn the parallax adj for you while you try to detect the crosshair drift as the adjustment is rotated. Same for the power adj ring. The further the object is from you, the more validity your test will have. A very distant object, much farther than 150 yds, will be best. I use a white rock, approximately 1 1/2 miles distant.
Addendum: Clamp the barrel in the vise firmly, not the stock.

Last edited by flintlocke; 09/22/19.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
GB1

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
1. Trade yours for the 3-9
2. Read the SWFA post by Formidolosus
3. read it again
4. Zero your rifle and confirm your DOPE, this is really fun.
5. Shoot from every conceivable position that you can achieve and determine at what distance you can always hit an 8" target 5 times in a row.

6. Go kill stuff w/ confidence, have fun!!

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
G
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
G
can't find the post by Formidolosus...

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Seems Cameraland unstuck it
Here

Last edited by Castle_Rock; 09/22/19.
ChrisAU Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thanks!

IC B2

ChrisAU Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Sitrep, SWFA had no issue with me returning the 3-15 for a refund and my 3-9 is on the way to me. They did say that wasn't the first time they'd heard of that though. I'm ready to get back in the stone age days of no parallax adjustment or fancy high magnifications with the 3-9x42 haha

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
3-9 is a solid scope

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by ChrisAU
Sitrep, SWFA had no issue with me returning the 3-15 for a refund and my 3-9 is on the way to me. They did say that wasn't the first time they'd heard of that though. I'm ready to get back in the stone age days of no parallax adjustment or fancy high magnifications with the 3-9x42 haha

Great to hear! Don't worry about the damned parallax, it's a non-issue. Enjoy the 3-9, they're excellent hunting scopes.

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Thanks for letting us know and sounds like they took good care of you. Enjoy your hunt.

I am continually astounded at how quickly people make up their minds on little evidence or none at all.
Jack O'Connor
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
I hope you enjoy yours as much as I do mine

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
IC B3

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B

That’s excellent. Tough to beat that sorta service and the others are spot on. The 3x9 is a wicked optic.

Semper Fi
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K

I am glad they took care of you. POA changing with parallax is not an uncommon issue with many Side Focus scopes, but usually it is fairly subtle, so it is not obvious and people spend a lot of time chasing their zero.

The first person I know who really paid attention to that was Jeff Huber in his Nightforce days when he was getting early NXS scopes dialed in.

ILya

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

99 members (35, 44mc, 7887mm08, 7x57Hunter, Algotguns, Akhutr, 5 invisible), 1,463 guests, and 930 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,758
Posts18,476,415
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.