Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Howa has been at it for a long time. S&W used them for their model 1500 back in the early 80’s. The hi-luster bluing was incredible on those guns. I have never heard a bad word regarding Howa 1500’s no matter whose name was engraved on them.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
HR IC

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Hell..the Weatherby Vanguards shoot as well as anything on the market, good prices, great durability....quantum leaps ahead of the MarkV...

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by TomM1
If they would offer a straight comb stock, I would have a several more vanguards in my safe. That signature Monte Carlo hump just doesn’t fit me.

GPC has at least 5 straight comb walnut stocks for short action 1500s, their part numbers 1772680, 584440A/B/C/D.

Q
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Q
I’ve always said that I’d own a Weatherby if it wasnt for their awful stocks

In reality I probably still wouldn’t but I do hate their stocks

GOD Bless America
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Quak

The current production Vanguard2 stocks may be, imo, among the best injection molded stocks that any manufacturer has put on a regular production rifle.

IC B2

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by 260Remguy
If they would offer a straight comb stock, I would have a several more vanguards in my safe. That signature Monte Carlo hump just doesn’t fit me.

GPC has at least 5 straight comb walnut stocks for short action 1500s, their part numbers 1772680, 584440A/B/C/D.

I hear ya and though about going that route, but one aspect that Weatherby has everyone else playing second fiddle to is fit and finish. Their $500 guns exceed most $1200 in this category. If I buy a Weatherby, I want that fit and finish. Yes I know some sandpaper and touch up paint, 1/2 hr and it will fit like a glove, but there is something to rifles that you buy, mount a scope and they just shoot. They have lasting power while the projects tend to move down the road.

Stuck in airports, Terrorized
Sent to meetings, Hypnotized
Over-exposed, Commercialized
Handle me with Care...
-Traveling Wilbury's
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana

I hear ya and though about going that route, but one aspect that Weatherby has everyone else playing second fiddle to is fit and finish. Their $500 guns exceed most $1200 in this category. If I buy a Weatherby, I want that fit and finish. Yes I know some sandpaper and touch up paint, 1/2 hr and it will fit like a glove, but there is something to rifles that you buy, mount a scope and they just shoot. They have lasting power while the projects tend to move down the road.

I'm a tinkerer, so I seldom leave a rifle, particularly a recently production bolt action rifle, in its NIB condition. I don't accommodate myself to a rifle, unless it is collectible, I make the rifle fit me.

I have 4 V2s. The 3 that I shoot, 223/243/6.5CM, have been bedded in McM Hunter stocks.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M

The current production Vanguard2 stocks may be, imo, among the best injection molded stocks that any manufacturer has put on a regular production rifle.

Yes, agreed... I'd like a rounded, straight comb classic too.

Last edited by MtnBoomer; 09/28/19.

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by MtnBoomer

Alpine.

If you're patient, a bargain will find you. There was a .243 on here just the other day. $600 for a pristine specimen.

What fresh Hell is this?
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I sure don't need another rile.... But some of their new offerings have caught my eye.

Well... we have come to the point.... where... the parasites are killing the host. It's only a matter of time now.

They only win.... when they cheat.
IC B3

Q
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Q

It’s not the quality...it’s the fit and appearance

GOD Bless America
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Weatherby is making a big mistake not offering their new 6.5 RPM in the Vanguard! A large segment of the market is being overlooked. Not a good decision if trying to elevate a new cartridge offering, imo.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
The 6.5 RPM seems a bit gimmicky. It is being marketed for a light weight Titanium 5 lbs Mark V. It’s ballistics are no better than a 6.5 Rem Mag and a bit behind the 264 Win Mag. In a 5 lbs rifle I’ll take the 6.5 Creedmoor any day. If I need to jump up to a bit more power I’ll just shoot the tried and true 7mm Rem Mag.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Ya what a buncha dummies!!!! Sub 264 win mag performance with MORE powder capacity, in a non belted cartridge, weighing under 5lbs!!!!! How dare they!!!!! 😂😂

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
The 24 hcf elitists should have weatherby shut down!!!! Those curvey stocks, no venturi shoulder, no belt, not enough room to house a 600 grain vld..... Fuuck.......

I guess folks might have to "hunt"!!!!! Haha

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Reloder28
Howa has been at it for a long time. S&W used them for their model 1500 back in the early 80’s. The hi-luster bluing was incredible on those guns. I have never heard a bad word regarding Howa 1500’s no matter whose name was engraved on them.

Let's change that.

Bought a 243 Vanguard with my lunch money around 1983. Before there were
multiple models. Dad bought a 7mag around the same time.

I have never seen rifles so eager to rust. We are meticulous, take stuff to
wipe out guns down on any trip, and do so daily. On a week long trip we wiped
down every evening, others never did. We both got rust spots, the only people
to get any.

Mine was built on a long action, not sure if a short was available or what happened.
The cartridges slide back and forth with a click every time you tilt the gun much.

Dads ended up with the firing pin being too short, caused some misfired.
Never blew a primer, just a mist and I guess.

Other than the above, his has been in use since new. Whitetail, and Mule Deer, elk, caribou,
and moose have been taken with it. Both were accurate, and have functioned well.
Even mine, with those rounds sliding around, work the bolt, it functions fine,

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by Pappy348
Originally Posted by MtnBoomer

Alpine.

If you're patient, a bargain will find you. There was a .243 on here just the other day. $600 for a pristine specimen.

I'll take a look at them, though I need another factory rifle very little.

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Originally Posted by hh4whiskey
Vanguards are the only ones I liked. I need to find some more of those V2 20” carbines in 6.5 or 7-08

The carbines were like an M7 without the slop. I found one in 7-08 for a buddy to give to his son, but he’s got two boys and wants them to have identical guns. Haven’t seen anymore since, at least in 7-08. Might get him two 6.5s or 308s and see if I can trade him for that 7-08 back. LOL

T
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by Pappy348
Alpine.

I put together a brand new Alpine for $600, $399 for the .308 Win rifle at Sportsmans Warehouse and $200 for the stock off of Campfire Classifieds. I have another Alpine stock waiting for a barreled action in my safe, it'll be a 6mm Creedmoor someday.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I keep asking Santa Claus for a Vanguard in 7mm Weatherby, but he keeps ignoring me.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

616 members (160user, 1Longbow, 10gaugemag, 1936M71, 12344mag, 007FJ, 72 invisible), 2,305 guests, and 1,375 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,678
Posts18,493,839
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.