Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 9 of 10 1 2 7 8 9 10
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by jimjr
I’ve been a machinist for 43 years and am retiring at years end. We baby boomers are rapidly leaving all the trades but seems machinists are really leaving. My company and most nation wide are struggling to find any machinists at all. Pay is good and it’s not a particularly hard job if one gets the basics in a technical college. Almost everything we have and use is in some way touched by a machinist. We make molds to mold almost all our plastic parts and all parts to nearly everything from your auto to food prep to tools and whatever you can think of. Google machinist and read what we do to the shortage. I work for a medical device factory and make parts for surgical tables, overhead lights so surgeons can see, to scrub sinks, carts and other hospital equipment.

Two types of things in this world ......things God made or things Machinists made.

And if they didn’t make them. They made the tools to make them.

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Those pilots don't work a lot of hours and get paid really well. Probably start with the military to get the hours. A fishing friend is a senior corporate pilot and does well. The wife's niece flies for Fed Ex because packages never complain and she wants for nothing. An ex military helicopter pilot tenant of mine quit at a local paper mill to go fly a helicopter with Minnesota execs into the Dakota oil fields.

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Plumbing, Heating & Air, Electrical all pay well. The Electrical industry was good to me. Which ever one is chosen, try to get away from Residential and into Commercial or Industrial. And keep up with the current technology.

lightman
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by gunzo
So many post discussing union wages. Will the unions last? I've worked for 2 companies that had moved to get away from the union. I've worked for others that plainly said if the place went union they would close the doors or move. This includes one privately owned company that said no one, not any body would tell him how much to pay his workers. The doors would be closed & the company would cease to exist. This was not a back alley welding shop. It was a globally recognized manufacturer with a 150 employees.
Another company not accepting the union is maybe one of the largest manufacturers in the..... world. They told the employees; don't do it.

Not trying to start a pro/con union discussion. Just my thoughts on the future of them.

Our local, IBEW 369 was organized 100 years ago with 15 members. When I got into the apprenticeship program we had somewhere around 500 members in the early 80s. Today the local has 2600 members and can't accept everyone applying for the program. As long as we can get the same amount of work done with better quality with about 1/2 to 2/3 of the manpower on the job as the non-union tradesmen, I think we can control our own destiny. At least that has been the way in has worked in the 40 years around the Greater Louisville area. We routinely work travelers from other locals to supply workforce demands. Right now I make $42.03 /hr not including medical benefits, 401K match and retirement annuities. For that kind of money around my area, you are expected to carry your share of the load or you are sent back to the bench to work for someone else. If you have a reputation of being a poor worker, you just won't get steady work. Kind of self regulating.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by WeimsnKs
Machine repair / robotics.

I'd throw in CNC and if that doesn't fit his needs electrician. But, robots and repairing them is in the future. If you are really smart, programing them.

kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
IC B2

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
go in the service 1st and go see some of the world,then go into a trade.

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
S
Good God. $42 an hour for the electrician, plus benefits.

When I was driving the Big Rig, earlier this year, I made $29 an hour, driving down I 10 at 65 mph.
The problem was, when I got to the terminal for a five hour unload, I got paid nothing. Over the road truck driving is a brutal job.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Try finding a job that has a pension for your retirement without a union.
I lost a union job 30 years ago and could never find another one. Now I have retired on Social Security.
Try retiring on that.

I like to do my hunting BEFORE I pull the trigger!
There is only one kind of dead, but there are many different kinds of wounded.
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by memtb
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Undertaker

Yep! Always in demand....people are dying to see you! grin memtb

But you rarely have a happy customer.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by joken2

Originally Posted by lvmiker
The medical field offers a vast array of career opportunities. It is a challenging, constantly evolving profession that offers upward mobility and lets you choose where and how you want live. It is probably best to avoid it if not highly motivated and comfortable w/ being elbow deep in other folks' icky stuff.

mike r

Nursing Informaticist is one such medical field specialty, and no,"elbow deep in other people's icky stuff", involved either.

For someone with IT skills, take a look at getting medical IT certification. It opens a lot of doors.

― George Orwell

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by whelennut
I lost a union job 30 years ago and could never find another one. Now I have retired on Social Security.
Try retiring on that.

Be sure that the union's pension fund is actually funded. There are thousands of former unions members out there who found out too late that theirs wasn't. It's become a crisis for public sector unions. I was a teamster for 18 years, long enough to be fully vested. My union conference is fully funded and I've been drawing it for 6 years now. Other conferences weren't funded and the members get nothing.

― George Orwell

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I'm a project manager in ship repair and we are dying for pipe fitters and welders. A young man with good work ethic who is a good combination pipe fitter/welder can make BIG money working power plant outages if he wants to travel and make very good money working in ship repair or shipbuilding if he wants to stay in one location. If I could find a good pipe foreman with ship repair experience right now, I would back up the money truck to get him.

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
I'd skip HVAC and carpentry as the technicians don't get paid all that well unless they own the company, but plumbers and electricians do. I've worked as a controller for all these companies, so I do know how the wages vary.

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by simonkenton7
Good God. $42 an hour for the electrician, plus benefits.

When I was driving the Big Rig, earlier this year, I made $29 an hour, driving down I 10 at 65 mph.
The problem was, when I got to the terminal for a five hour unload, I got paid nothing. Over the road truck driving is a brutal job.

My uncle was a truck driver his entire life. Drove and unloaded local in Louisville KY. It would have driven me mad, the way small vehicle don't respect 80,000 lbs of rig sharing the highway. A good truck driver never is paid what he is worth in my book. Beat to hell all day and putting up with minivans with women putting on their makeup. Always appreciated the service they provided. For $42.03/hr, I don't mind paying my fair share of Union Dues. Never missed them in the 33 years I've been paying them.I 'll get a $1.02 raise first week of November.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J

Try retiring on that.

Non government, non union jobs that offer defined pensions to new hires are getting more and more rare every year, offering instead a employer specific matching X% to employee's personal 401k contribution.

Many of the older, still existing defined pension and retired employee benefit programs (including gov't and union) are/were underfunded and often being challenged in courts, asking commitments be reduced substantially or released from some or all commitments, including even those of already retired.former employees.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by RickyD
I'd skip HVAC and carpentry as the technicians don't get paid all that well unless they own the company, but plumbers and electricians do. I've worked as a controller for all these companies, so I do know how the wages vary.

That's very good info. to know.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by joken2

Try retiring on that.

Non government, non union jobs that offer defined pensions to new hires are getting more and more rare every year, offering instead a employer specific matching X% to employee's personal 401k contribution.

Many of the older, still existing defined pension and retired employee benefit programs (including gov't and union) are/were underfunded and often being challenged in courts, asking commitments be reduced substantially or released from some or all commitments, including even those of already retired.former employees.

We are offered a defined annuity as well as a one time payout ranging from $420K to $600K depending on years of service. I plan on retiring in four years and seriourly considering the one time payment. I believe I can invest and do more with the money myself and not have to worry about what you speak of in the way of future annuity payments.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Look into the Johnson O'Connor Institute. pm sent.

There are 2 rules to success:

1. Never tell everything that you know.
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Where are you located elelbean? Or should I say where is the young man located?

Tug boat work can be quite a profitable way of making a living. Drawbacks are living on a boat for days/weeks at a time. Working "watches", which ain't for everyone. Being away form wife and family if one has those. If a kid is single and looking to get a start though, one can make some decent bank in a few years, especially a kid with a good work ethic willing to put in OT.

Hard outdoor work, good food generally provided by the company (not sure about little mom and pop outfits, but the bigger companies feed their crews very well). Newer boats are luxurious for sure, older ones can be "interesting" to live on. And depending on the company, work for a week or two, off for a week or two. Planned right, lots of time for hunting, fishing, vacationing.

If a person works hard, is interested in getting a license and being a Captain or Pilot, they can really do well. Especially in a bigger Union outfit.

Again, good luck to your nephew.

Geno

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
S
Four years ago I built an addition onto my log cabin. I did all the carpentry, and also did all the wiring. Good thing because, these electricians are getting about $70 an hour around here, for these little jobs. Besides, it is hard to get an electrician to even show up to do a bid on a log cabin they just don't like 'em.
I did the wiring and it turned out real well this is the fourth log cabin that I have wired. I love to do wiring.

But I don't like plumbing. We had one bathroom for the addition, with, one washing machine, one shower, one toilet and one sink. Pedestal sink.
The plumber came out and said he wanted $70 an hour, here again hard to get a plumber to show up, to drive way out into the country and drive our 3/4 mile driveway for a little job. He said he would do a bid for $2200 but it would come out to about $70/hour.

We clocked the guy, he worked at our house for 9 hours. He came out 3 times, one hour per trip. And he probably spent 2 hours at the plumbing supply store. I picked up the shower, and the sink, and the toilet at Lowes all he had to buy was plumbing stuff. Also, I installed the shower, the fiberglass part, and he plumbed it up.

So this guy spent about 14 hours, counting travel, for $2200. $157 per hour. So, if you live in the rural mountains of North Carolina, would you rather be a carpenter at $15 an hour, or a plumber at $157/hour?

He said he preferred to be paid in cash, said it was "easier on the book keeping." I didn't just fall off a turnip truck, that means, no book keeping, no pesky income tax.

Page 9 of 10 1 2 7 8 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

549 members (1minute, 160user, 21, 10gaugeman, 10ring1, 1Longbow, 57 invisible), 2,667 guests, and 1,274 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,855
Posts18,478,502
Members73,948
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.